2018 Volvo Open Cup | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Volvo Open Cup

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
They can both go, but I think it would be good to have a substitute for worlds. Nikolaj can get there if he stands up. He fell on the 3-axel and stumbled on the loop which also probably counted as a fall.

I'm sure he can. There were lots of places where he could have picked up some extra GOE points (hands down a lot), so I'm sure he'll get there next time!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
To many falls, stumbles and step outs for Ivan :( Down from first to third so far.

Now everybody come on and cheer for Sondre!

OK it didn't help :(

Congrats to the medalists: Vladimir, Mark and Ivan!

Country
Norway
Omg, I was so nervous for Sondre, and he obviously was also! But who can blame him, he want this so much and starting as the last one at a very long day, who could blame him. I could see from the very beginning that he was off. It didn´t actually look like he enjoyed the program as he has been doing the last competitions.

Well, he can do so much better in the FS. Just look forward and be very happy about the SP. Doing a good FS, after a personal best in SP, also need to qualifying the TES score for world, and also in theory have a chance for medal is a lot of pressure, also starting last and all that waiting.

He would do much better in another competition where he hasn´t all that pressure at once. Maybe he needs to a bad SP next time...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Okey, I just had it from somewhere that you didn´t have to have both, but it makes much more sense. I actually find it a bit odd that the FS is as high as 64, where the SP is 34. Obviously the freeskate is longer, but it seems much more difficult getting the minimum qualifying TES-score for the FS.

I feel like skaters tend to have more trouble with the SP than the FS actually, but I'm not sure. But the FS has 5 more elements than the SP (4 more jumping passes including two combos and the choreo sequence), so there is a big difference in potential scores between them.

Country
Norway
I feel like skaters tend to have more trouble with the SP than the FS actually, but I'm not sure. But the FS has 5 more elements than the SP (4 more jumping passes including two combos and the choreo sequence), so there is a big difference in potential scores between them.

Yeah, that´s true. At the same time is difficult to make the whole FS clean, the risk of making mistakes will of course be higher, because it´s longer and you have more elements, but maybe it also allows you to make more mistakes because you have a lot of elements? But another thing is that you tend to get tired because of the lengt of the program, but I guess thats also the reason why most skaters take the difficult jumps at the first half of the program.

But if you have a really bad FS, I have the impression that the gap in points between a good FS and the bad one is higher, because the lack of good elements also influence the PCS-score? The PCS and the point system is still really somehow difficult for me to understand, but for what I understand the TES and PCS is somehow related.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Are you sure about Gabriel having the qualifying free tech? Has he even done a senior competition this season? And I can't see him listed for anyone soon. A bit worrying perhaps.

Two groups to go in men's senior. All the best to all hopeful. May they reach their goals :)

LOL about Philippe releasing his afro hair... not his best skate though I presume and not the usual K&C behaviour :laugh:

Petr Kotlark did better and is in first place. His first real senior season, right? Hi Florent!

Now GO Nikolaj!

Gabriel passed the scores in a senior comp last spring. I read somewhere that they carry over to the next season, isnt this correct?. As far as I know Gabriel hasnt competed in anything since his (disapointing) JGP.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gabriel passed the scores in a senior comp last spring. I read somewhere that they carry over to the next season, isnt this correct?. As far as I know Gabriel hasnt competed in anything since his (disapointing) JGP.

They carry over, but the minimums are raised periodically and they were also changed with the scoring system changes. For Europeans, men need 28 in the SP and 46 in the SP for scores earned this season, and 28 in the SP + 48 in the FS for scores from last season. Gabriel has the SP score easily, but he's short on the FS (he has 45.77 from last season).

icetug

Medalist
Omg, I was so nervous for Sondre, and he obviously was also!

He would do much better in another competition where he hasn´t all that pressure at once. Maybe he needs to a bad SP next time...

He can get FS TES in another competition, there are still some three months for it and other oportunities. Hope we see him in Japan.

Country
Norway
He can get FS TES in another competition, there are still some three months for it and other oportunities. Hope we see him in Japan.

Yep, I hope so! In the next competition he can also have the focus at the FS and doesn´t need to stress about the SP either, so he can save energy for that. He had a mystory on IG yesterday telling that the wanted to do a perfect FS too much, but that he´s satisfied with the SP and that he in the future will focus and work very hard on the FS.

It would just be so nice if i had done it yesterday. But after all, placing 3. in the SP is really good :)

Also hoping that Camilla Gjersem will qualify. Fingers crossed for the FS tonight :)

Country
Norway
Wow, GB is really slaying it. I guess Mckay will have a hard time competing with the other about going to euros and worlds. Kirsten Spours got the minimum TES score for both SP and FS at worlds :shocked: Robertson so close in FS, but got the score in SP. Povey also got the TES for FS, but not SP.

Well done!

Wish Camilla had a better FS, but she also has time. Really hope she can go to the worlds with Sondre!

Edit: I see Robertson already has the FS score from Finlandia Trophy. So no worry. Who will be representing GB in euros and world now?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
did the Bodenstein siblings switch coaches? Both were with different ones in K&C.

I haven't heard anything, but then I don't follow things that closely. Lambiel was with Vasiljevs at NHK so its likely they had substitutes if nothing else.

Does anyone know if Noemie's okay? I woke up in time to see the last few names cycle through on the ladies FS live scoring, and she was listed on the results page but not in the actual scores, which usually means someone got injured during their skate. I hope that's not the case, that would be a rotten first senior event for her.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Wow, GB is really slaying it. I guess Mckay will have a hard time competing with the other about going to euros and worlds. Kirsten Spours got the minimum TES score for both SP and FS at worlds :shocked: Robertson so close in FS, but got the score in SP. Povey also got the TES for FS, but not SP.

Well done!

Wish Camilla had a better FS, but she also has time. Really hope she can go to the worlds with Sondre!

Edit: I see Robertson already has the FS score from Finlandia Trophy. So no worry. Who will be representing GB in euros and world now?

British Judges always seem to vote for Natasha McKay, on PCS.

Country
Norway
British Judges always seem to vote for Natasha McKay, on PCS.

I see that... but if she will have trouble reach the qualifying TES-score for worlds this season?, it would be much better sending one of the other to Euros, so that they can have that experience and try it... but I guess Mckay has a lot more experience in doing the competitions. But Mckay didn´t even qualify for the FS in the last euros.... Also, if the other ladies keep on doing such a great job, maybe someone actually in theory could hit 10 ten at Euros and earn GB 2 spots for the next one. (Okey, don´t really think it will happen now, but the potensial is there on a very good day and where others will have a bad day).

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Senior Pairs (French Nationals) results:

1. Cleo HAMON / Denis STREAKLIN (FRA) - (142.15) 1 2
2. Camille MENDOZA / Pavel KOVALEV (FRA) - (136.08) 2 1
3. Coline KERIVEN / Antoine Noel PIERRE (FRA) - (126.58) 3 3

Hang on, I thought it was another month until the Nationals Predictions Game started. I hadn't my predictions prepared... :eek:

:laugh: Great line, Mohacz! :points:

And a great event for so many reasons.

Wearing my British hat, all I can say is "wow!"

• 4 out of the Top 6 in Senior Ladies (Robertson, Spours, Povey and McKay in that order)
  • Graham Newberry in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in Senior Men
  • Luke Digby in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in Junior Men (and TV star Josh Brown in 10[SUP]th[/SUP])
  • Jacob Casey in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in Intermediate Novice Boys
  • Alana Pang in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and Lucy Hay in 5[SUP]th[SUP] in Intermediate Novice Girls

And wearing my Northern Irish hat, our current top skater, Sam McAllister, was here competing for Ireland. He was 17[SUP]th[/SUP] in Senior Men, having been 12[SUP]th[/SUP] in the SP and 17[SUP]th[/SUP] in the FS.

Moving onto my adopted "children", Camilla Gjersem was 12[SUP]th[/SUP] in Senior Ladies. She was an impresive 7[SUP]th[/SUP] in the SP, but dropped to 17[SUP]th[/SUP] in the FS.

But, it is the country team that I have adopted that has unexpectedly brought the biggest success to my door.

When I first created the Team Cyprus Fan Fest, all but one of the skaters I featured were girls. That exception was Men's Singles skater Nikita Vitryanyuk. However, last season he switched to Ice Dance. And since he and his partner were both Russian, they opted to represent their homeland.

Nikita has a new partner this season, Maria Miliukova, who is also Russian. BUT, rather than representing Russia, they are representing the country where Nikita lives, Cyprus. Not only that, but they also now have team-mates in Angelina Kudriavtseva / Ilia Karankevich.

This is the first season that Cyprus has been represented in Ice Dance. And the results they are achieving in Advanced Novice Ice Dance are nothing short of remarkable. Here is how they finished in Riga:

• Angelina Kudriavtseva / Ilia Karankevich in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]
  • Maria Miliukova / Nikita Vitryanyuk in 7[SUP]th[/SUP]

Were it not for an disappointing Argentine Tango from Maria and Nikita, both partnerships would have been in the Top 5 in every segment!

I know that I hadn't even heard tell of Angelina and Ilia until a few hours ago, but I couldn't be more proud of them. And of Maria and Nikita as well.

EDIT (12[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2018): I just found out that both these partnerships also competed at the Hallowe'en Cup in Hungary a few weeks ago, and Maria and Nikita won the competition while Angelina and Ilia finished in 5[SUP]th[/SUP]!!!​

:cheer: WELL DONE TO THEM ALL!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I see that... but if she will have trouble reach the qualifying TES-score for worlds this season?, it would be much better sending one of the other to Euros, so that they can have that experience and try it... but I guess Mckay has a lot more experience in doing the competitions. But Mckay didn´t even qualify for the FS in the last euros.... Also, if the other ladies keep on doing such a great job, maybe someone actually in theory could hit 10 ten at Euros and earn GB 2 spots for the next one. (Okey, don´t really think it will happen now, but the potensial is there on a very good day and where others will have a bad day).

Natasha will try and get the TES in Innsbruck this week. I do agree with you though, I'd like to see Karly Robertson win the British this year and go to Euros and World's. Other women have more difficult jumps than Natasha, but come the British Championships ......

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Natasha will try and get the TES in Innsbruck this week. I do agree with you though, I'd like to see Karly Robertson win the British this year and go to Euros and World's. Other women have more difficult jumps than Natasha, but come the British Championships ......

Yeah I was shocked to see on rink results that Natasha doesn’t have a triple triple when some of the other girls do. I’m not saying do them is easy but it really is needed to be competitive.

I thought perhaps it’s because Natasha was more consistent but she’s been struggling this year other than at Golden Bear. She is a lovely skater and I wish her the best but it’ll be an interesting nationals this year.

icetug

Medalist
I haven't heard anything, but then I don't follow things that closely. Lambiel was with Vasiljevs at NHK so its likely they had substitutes if nothing else.

Does anyone know if Noemie's okay? I woke up in time to see the last few names cycle through on the ladies FS live scoring, and she was listed on the results page but not in the actual scores, which usually means someone got injured during their skate. I hope that's not the case, that would be a rotten first senior event for her.

The coach question was answered (partly) only yesterday, by Reut interview with Stephane: they switched a week before Volvo Cup indeed, but we don't know their coaches names.

Noemie withdrew, but she's on the entry list for Golden Spin, so it wasn't a serious injury, I believe.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just saw that interview too and have updated her Fan Fest with the information. She didn't skate at Coupe du Rhone last weekend despite originally being scheduled for it, so I was worried about her maybe having had a concussion, but as it looks like she'll be skating at Golden Spin it seems she's okay now at any rate. :)

(TBH I think having separate coaches might be good for Noémie and Noah, if that's the arrangement they've moved to; I'm not much interested in Noah but I have observed that they're quite different skaters and presumably have different needs, but this isn't the place for that conversation).