2018 Worlds Pairs Short Program | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Pairs Short Program

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Dang that salchow!

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously are you telling me Z/E are gonna be in Top 3 after SP...

andromache

Record Breaker
I really hate that the judges in 2014 were so V/T crazy that they gave them virtually untouchable WR scores. It took longer than it should have for their FS score to go down; Even Stolbova/Klimov's flawless GPF skate to Man and Shadow didn't do it. 84 something is almost impossible to achieve; pairs and ladies are comparable in their scoring so imagine them having given a lady 84 something in the SP in 2014, a score so high that it still might never be broken until someone lands a 3A or something.

Looking back, V/T just seem so unimpressive to me compared to St/Kl and T/M (at least this SP - their first really good program). Usually, V/T were given not-great material (like Jesus Christ Superstar :rolleye:), and while they had skating skills and personality in spades, plus a great twist and throw, something about them always felt a little sloppy to me....

They got the scores they did because they peaked at the right time. In a non-Olympic year, the WR would've never been so untouchable, and they're ultimately bookended by OGMs with way more impact and legacy than they will ever have.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Well, this isn't my country's best showing. Looks like we'll be down to one pair and two ladies next year.

lost3iron

More Rock & Roll please!
On the Ice
I love masquerade Walz from V/T. It's still my go to program when I am sad. I get goosebumps every time!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's nice seeing small fed skaters be the recipients of across-the-board PCS inflation for a change.

Yeah? I hear all the complaints when it's Javi.... So most don't think it's nice. But not like I'm suprised. They're Olympic Champions.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
We don't know what actually happened.

And even if that is what happened, well, maybe Chinese fed "granted his every wish" because it produced two new pairs that were better than the old pairs? Maybe Hongbo Zhao who works closely with ALL of these pairs actually went with a strategy that has worked out long-term?

You're right about not knowing exactly. What I say, I read in accounts of What happened on Tumblr.

It didn't produce 2 new pairs that were better than the old pairs. Peng/Jin are probably better than Peng/Zhang but have not achieved many results until today's SP. Yu/Zhang have gotten only GP medals so far, which Yu/Jin have done as well, so they don't exactly shone by the brilliance of their relative results. Artistically, most of us think Yu/Jin was better than Yu/Zhang so they don't shine with the greatness of their programs either.

Maybe Zhao has gone with the best long term strategy. But let's be honest, it hasn't exactly worked out for either of these teams. The judges haven't exactly been handing them candies. You think it worked out for the best, i think the previous pairs would have been better. To each their own.

smythe

Rinkside
Yep. It's called Olympic champion bonus I am afraid. Still, with or without the slight inflation, the scores are very close so nothing is decided yet.
I just wish T/M would have a LP that would show their amazing qualities (like the SP does). They have the best SS and lines in the business. Why not taking full advantage of that?

I think now that S/M are leading going into the FS, the edge is heavily in their favour. Don't think Candyman has the same scoring potential as S/M's program. Even with gross inflation and flawlessness, I can't see T/M's program getting above 155 (or even close tbh), whereas S/M will get to 160 (or close). Obviously meltdowns can happen and like you never know, but it'll be difficult to see T/M leading S/M by 1.5 points in the FS.