Team Canada at JGP Croatia:

Stephen Gogolev
Aleksa Rakic
Alison Schumacher
Patrica Andrew & Zachary Daleman
Chloe Panetta & Benjamin Mimar
Nadiia Bashynska & Peter Beaumont
Emmy Bronsard & Aissa Bouaraguia

The men's event is absolutely packed with heavyweight contenders, so that will be quite a contest for Stephen.

In dance, Ushakova/Nekrasov and Kazakova/Reviya would be the default top two, but there's obvious reason to question whether the former will actually make it there or not.

Regarding the soon-to-start Lake Placid event, apparently the presumptive bronze medalist Russian team of Andreeva/Desyatov has withdrawn without replacement, so the door is open about as wide as it could be for one of the Canadian dance teams to win a medal there.

Ziotic

Medalist
Team Canada at JGP Croatia:

Stephen Gogolev
Aleksa Rakic
Alison Schumacher
Patrica Andrew & Zachary Daleman
Chloe Panetta & Benjamin Mimar
Nadiia Bashynska & Peter Beaumont
Emmy Bronsard & Aissa Bouaraguia

The men's event is absolutely packed with heavyweight contenders, so that will be quite a contest for Stephen.

In dance, Ushakova/Nekrasov and Kazakova/Reviya would be the default top two, but there's obvious reason to question whether the former will actually make it there or not.

Regarding the soon-to-start Lake Placid event, apparently the presumptive bronze medalist Russian team of Andreeva/Desyatov has withdrawn without replacement, so the door is open about as wide as it could be for one of the Canadian dance teams to win a medal there.

Why would they send Aleksa here?? Like he had a silver and although it was an easy field they’ve basically taken away any shot at JGPF.

Also, I don’t think Alison should get a second outing, there are plenty of JGP ladies that could use the experience.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Why would they send Aleksa here?? Like he had a silver and although it was an easy field they’ve basically taken away any shot at JGPF.
As opposed to where? This was the only spot left for him to be assigned to (assuming it hadn't already been decided a while ago, since we know SC notified skaters of a lot of these choices some way back), since Canada doesn't have two spots in Italy.

Also, I don’t think Alison should get a second outing, there are plenty of JGP ladies that could use the experience.
Alison's had a rough start, but given that she's the reason we have two JWC spots this year and her tech is among the highest of the Canadian ladies (on paper, at least), I can see why Skate Canada thinks she warrants it.

They also gave two spots to Kaiya right off the bat, presumably because they see her long-term potential.

Beres Clements was originally going to compete at Lake Placid (you can still see his name listed in this article https://skatecanada.ca/2019/08/cana...for-second-stop-on-junior-grand-prix-circuit/ and on the International tab https://skatecanada.ca/event-schedule/ ), so I'm guessing that means he won't be participating on the JGP circuit this year.
What do you mean "originally"? He's still listed on the ISU entries and on the practice groups list, and I haven't seen anything about withdrawal.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What do you mean "originally"? He's still listed on the ISU entries and on the practice groups list, and I haven't seen anything about withdrawal.

Sorry, I got mixed up. I thought the event you listed was Lake Placid.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Wait & see. Canada rarely moves their athletes.

But generally speaking, countries tend to wait to see how most of their athletes do on the first half of the JGP before doing any shuffling in order to try to get surprisingly high placing athletes into the JGPF. Considering the number of top guys that are not listed for the first two events, it seems likely those final events are going to be tough. I will really be surprised if all of these guys go to Zagreb.

Sadly Adam is off the list for Russia so either he's not too likely to be back at all or he's being moved to the end of the JGP and is going to make the field deeper at both of the final two.

Russia moves their athletes all the time and sometimes right at the last minute. The odds are not good in Zagreb. If one of these Russian guys does really well at an earlier event, I wouldn't be surprised if he is moved.

Anyway, I would guess that all the countries involved will wait & see how most of the guys deliver in their first event & then deal with this juggernaut in Croatia. We don't know where Rakic will stack up against the other Canadian guys' results yet. Russia doesn't know where it's entrants will stack up against their other guys. USA doesn't know how good these Russian guys will look in their first events. Etc.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Would you rather he go to Poland with Phan, Kagiyama, 2 Russians and Grassl or Italy with Grassl, Gumennik, Russia #2, Adam SHF and who knows who else? Either way, his chances are still dependent on if the other guys can hit their TES. Now had they added Aleksa as a sub for the other earlier events, but it's too late for that.

Ziotic

Medalist
Would you rather he go to Poland with Phan, Kagiyama, 2 Russians and Grassl or Italy with Grassl, Gumennik, Russia #2, Adam SHF and who knows who else? Either way, his chances are still dependent on if the other guys can hit their TES. Now had they added Aleksa as a sub for the other earlier events, but it's too late for that.

I think Canada needs to get better at playing the game, listing all eligible skaters as subs for each comp as they do in Russia.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Canada needs to get better at playing the game, listing all eligible skaters as subs for each comp as they do in Russia.

Oh I agree. When I saw that Rakic was only a sub to Poland and not to Russia where he could replace Kovler whom he beat by 8 spots and 30 points, I was peeved. That would have been a good field for Aleksa.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Raf talked in an interview earlier that Stephen came to him later in the pre-season than he would have liked, which, together with that summer comp appearance, made me wonder how prepared he'd be. He looked as good as last year or better in the short program; the free skate, though, shows that clearly a lot of the big elements are in the shop. Which is fine and expected at some points, between growth and changing coaches.

Fingers crossed for Miku and Tyler tomorrow.

Ziotic

Medalist
Hangs? Really? He was deliberately pushed there.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/se...sperSkater.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTQHO4ZkYE&feature=youtu.be&t=326
Lutfullin was robbed of silver medal (in favor for Gogolev) most likely by Canadian tech caller - who called clean 3A as URed. Disgusting.

Funny, I actually questioned both 3A and 4Sal as he; wobbles, hooks, I’m not really sure what the right word is but his landings look suspect. I would have reviewed all three if I was the tech caller.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hangs? Really? He was deliberately pushed there.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/se...sperSkater.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTQHO4ZkYE&feature=youtu.be&t=326
Lutfullin was robbed of silver medal (in favor for Gogolev) most likely by Canadian tech caller - who called clean 3A as URed. Disgusting.
Because the tech caller prophetically foresaw that Gogolev would need that extra quarter of a point? Please.

Also, one person alone doesn't make that decision on calls.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Funny, I actually questioned both 3A and 4Sal as he; wobbles, hooks, I’m not really sure what the right word is but his landings look suspect. I would have reviewed all three if I was the tech caller.
Exactly. And in slo-mo you easily can see that the jump was almost fully rotated in the air - it's impossible to misinterpret that. One can have as much bad landing as he can - it can't and shouldn't mean that the jump is URed.