2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
so nice to see Kaetlyn skating even though not competitive. Too bad Patrick Chan didn't come. He skated there for a bit before the 2018 olympics. Sometimes I see similarities with Aurora and Kaetlyn though Auror has a long way to go with speed, edging and ampliltude.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The starting orders for nationals are up. Based on absences, you can deduce the Youth Olympics team (Rakic, Carle, McIntoshe/Toste, D'Alessandro/Waddell, Makita/Gunara); Gogolev evidently preferred to chase a national senior title. Also, not wholly unexpectedly, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen will miss nationals due to his knee surgery.

rain

Record Breaker
The starting orders for nationals are up. Based on absences, you can deduce the Youth Olympics team (Rakic, Carle, McIntoshe/Toste, D'Alessandro/Waddell, Makita/Gunara); Gogolev evidently preferred to chase a national senior title. Also, not wholly unexpectedly, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen will miss nationals due to his knee surgery.

It's really too bad about Fornier-Beaudry/Sorenson. They have had great momentum this season so far with medals on the grand prix. They were clearly poised to take silver. Now I'm betting it goes to Lajoie/Lagha. And hopefully Soucisse and Firus can have a non-disastrous skate. I feel so bad for them. They were on the way up two seasons ago, now they just seem to be constantly struggling. I still fully expect Skate Canada to appoint Fornier-Beaudry/Sorenson to the worlds team if they are healthy enough to go.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Makita/Gunara! I remember cheering for them at JGP Richmond last year as our lil hometown Canadian team. Needless to say I was flabbergasted and delighted by their vast improvement in quality this season, and I'm glad they're getting to do more competitions internationally! After the JGP is over it always feels tough for junior teams to make a name in the second half of the season. Very happy they're being recognized.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
The choice of Catherine Carle is interesting. Looking forward to seeing her at such a high level competition; I hope she has clean skates and gets some good experience. Canada needs some more development in womens skating.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The choice of Catherine Carle is interesting. Looking forward to seeing her at such a high level competition; I hope she has clean skates and gets some good experience. Canada needs some more development in womens skating.

She had the highest international junior score of the eligible ladies this season, which was the official criteria.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh dear gosh what happened. Are they done for the year I guess? This means Canada will lose a spot in the women's and dance. Going into the penultimate year for the olympics. things are not looking so great for Canada. I know peoplesaid don't panic but there is no need to panic but maybe accept Canada is not likely to medal as a team at the olympics with Russia or Athletes from Russia, USA, China, France and Italy ahead of them clearly maybe Japan too? They could not even make the finals.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Oh dear gosh what happened. Are they done for the year I guess?

No one knows at this point, I would guess. (You come back from surgery carefully and see how things go). They haven't announced anything about their expectations for a return competition but they also didn't announce the end of their season. My guess is that the hope is to be back for Worlds. Obviously, this isn't great timing. You would do this post Worlds if you could so I would think they probably reached a point where it had to be dealt with. But it also seems likely they set the date for as soon as they could get an appointment after the GP in the hope that they may be back for later in the season. (4CCs isn't out of the question, but if they are missing Nationals, Worlds does seem more probable). I haven't read his posts so I don't know if he mentioned something "happening." I do know knee surgery is a common issue in ice dance as the discipline puts a lot of wear & tear on the knees. (And Sorensen is 30. He's been ice dancing at least 12 years).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I haven't read his posts so I don't know if he mentioned something "happening."
Sorensen had some kind of knee injury that caused him to miss a week of training before Cup of China (which is why their score there was notably lower than their previous events), so I imagine that whatever that was either didn’t resolve as they thought it was going to or else couldn’t be put off anymore.

Whatever the issue was, Nikolaj wasn’t anesthetized for the surgery, so it presumably wasn’t that extensive.

Oh dear gosh what happened. Are they done for the year I guess? This means Canada will lose a spot in the women's and dance. Going into the penultimate year for the olympics. things are not looking so great for Canada. I know peoplesaid don't panic but there is no need to panic but maybe accept Canada is not likely to medal as a team at the olympics with Russia or Athletes from Russia, USA, China, France and Italy ahead of them clearly maybe Japan too? They could not even make the finals.
It’s unclear what their plans are, but it’s hardly a given that either of those spots are lost; and even if it was, the third dance spot especially has no bearing on the team event. It’s the top team that goes for that.

Neither China or Italy are ahead of us clearly, and France’s prospects are suddenly very uncertain at the moment. All of which is to say, it will be an interesting second half of the quad leading up.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I've just checked the entries for the Canadian Nationals (https://lamp.skatecanada.ca/results/2020CDNS/index.html) and I noticed the absence of Natalie d"Alessandro/Bruce Waddell from Juniors dance or singles. Are they injured?

No. D'Alessandro & Waddell and Makita & Gunara earned the highest scores for Canadian dance teams on the JGP this season. Therefore, these two teams are competing at the Youth Olympics and will not be able to attend Junior Nationals.

Scout

Final Flight
Does anyone know how selection for world juniors will be done, especially given that top junior skaters will not be at nationals? Or is it purposefully not stated to give the selection committee leeway to apply judgement? Dance seems like the potentially trickiest spot, with more pressure to win Nationals to (presumably) secure a jr worlds spot.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know how selection for world juniors will be done, especially given that top junior skaters will not be at nationals? Or is it purposefully not stated to give the selection committee leeway to apply judgement? Dance seems like the potentially trickiest spot, with more pressure to win Nationals to (presumably) secure a jr worlds spot.
They haven’t said anything.

It really depends a lot on the discipline, I’d say. Ladies will most likely be based on nationals unless Carle really blows it out of the water at YOG, for instance.

In pairs I think Brooke & Brandon are pretty much guaranteed a spot based on their season so far, plus whoever wins junior nationals.

In ice dance, Natalie & Bruce are going and whoever wins junior nationals is going. For the third spot, they’re going to have to somehow weigh Miku & Tyler versus the national junior silver medalists.

Scout

Final Flight
Colonel Green - Agree with all you've said.

Pairs is the field I'd be most willing to gamble on: Brooke & Brandon and Patricia & Zachary.

Dance, again, I agree with all you've said. It does seem a bit odd (for lack of a better word) that Miku & Tyler seem to be relegated to a battle for the third spot, while the two B&B teams have the opportunity to fight for the national title and the one that doesn't get it then gets considered against Miku and Tyler.

For ladies, I presume Kaiya will get one spot (and that she's the likely winner of jr nats). Carle has similar scoring potential as many of the junior-eligible ladies who will compete in seniors, but the skating here is so volatile that unless one skater really sets themselves apart, what is the selection criteria?

For men - Gogolev gets one spot and then I'd give Joseph the edge for the next spot...but things can get less clear if Aleksa skates well, and Eric or Illya beat Joseph at Nats. I guess that's why we wait to see how things will actually unfold and then make the decisions. ;)