2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
I agree that dance is the most politicized event in skating, but I also think D'Alessandro/Waddell didn't earn the benefit of doubt from judges. Their first JGP this year was clearly not well prepared, obviously lacking practice time together (injury?). It is a good side cake to keep doing singles, but they need to focus when they reach certain level. They have a lovely packaged RD, but the pattern reflects that they need a deeper curve into it and more togetherness. I used a lot of "but" here, but that's my opinion:eek:hwell:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Hello friendly northern neighbors!

During the broadcast of Russian Nationals, Ted Barton said that all of Canadian nationals would be streamed live on the dailymotion channel. I’m interested in watching the lower levels at Canadians this year for the first time. My understanding is that this starts tomorrow.

Would someone who followed the qualifying competitions in Canada be willing to make me a list of the top Juniors and Novices who are competing, more or less the ones that are expected to contend for medals? I’m not sure if there will be seeded draws in the short? Unfortunately I don’t have time to watch every single skater but would like to get to know the main contenders because I’m sure I will see them in the future.

Glancing at the entry lists, I recognize Wesley Chiu, Corey Circelli, and Alec Guinzbourg from the Junior Men, Vienna Harwood, Alexa Matveev, and Kaiya Ruiter from the Junior Ladies. I will probably watch all of Junior Pairs since I like Canadian pairs. I don’t know any of the Novices.

If you only know one discipline that’s fine, I will take what I can get. Maybe more than one person can help!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aleksa and Brooke & Brandon keep Canada's fourth-place YOG streak alive one more day!:laugh:

For Rakic, that was the best realistic result for him, given the lack of triple Axels or quads; the podium finishers were on a different technical level from everybody else here, so Rakic won the "best of the rest" contest.

I think Brooke & Brandon should have been third in the free skate, but that's what skating in different flights will get you. They also performed well.

Scout

Final Flight
^^Gogolev withdrew from Canadian Nationals.

Hello friendly northern neighbors!

During the broadcast of Russian Nationals, Ted Barton said that all of Canadian nationals would be streamed live on the dailymotion channel. I’m interested in watching the lower levels at Canadians this year for the first time. My understanding is that this starts tomorrow.

Would someone who followed the qualifying competitions in Canada be willing to make me a list of the top Juniors and Novices who are competing, more or less the ones that are expected to contend for medals? I’m not sure if there will be seeded draws in the short? Unfortunately I don’t have time to watch every single skater but would like to get to know the main contenders because I’m sure I will see them in the future.

Glancing at the entry lists, I recognize Wesley Chiu, Corey Circelli, and Alec Guinzbourg from the Junior Men, Vienna Harwood, Alexa Matveev, and Kaiya Ruiter from the Junior Ladies. I will probably watch all of Junior Pairs since I like Canadian pairs. I don’t know any of the Novices.

If you only know one discipline that’s fine, I will take what I can get. Maybe more than one person can help!

Hello!

For Novice, there is only one qualifying competition (Skate Canada Challenge), so it's sort of like a Canadian Championship itself and then the top 18 (singles) all get to compete against each other again at Canadians. So you can check out the results from Challenge to see who the likely podium contenders will be.

Here is the link:
https://skatecanada.ca/2020-skate-canada-challenge/

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rakic needs a new coach. He can skate cleanly, but he isn't particularly musical, and doesn't seem to use his arms effectively, which is typical of McLeod students.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
A little bit disappointed by the withdrawals, wishing all the skaters healthy and well :pray:
I shall relax and enjoy the Nationals live in my front seat after a tiring, working holidays:coffee:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aleksa Rakic LP (1080p): https://streamable.com/xmhdb

No medal, but he earned new Personal Best scores in the LP and the Total! :clap: Coincidentally, he placed 4th, which was also Roman Sadovsky's ranking at the 2016 YOG.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Rakic needs a new coach. He can skate cleanly, but he isn't particularly musical, and doesn't seem to use his arms effectively, which is typical of McLeod students.

At least her students work on skating skill with Wing&Lowe now. To be fair, musicality and body awareness are sometimes gifts within.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Aleksa and Brooke & Brandon keep Canada's fourth-place YOG streak alive one more day!:laugh:

For Rakic, that was the best realistic result for him, given the lack of triple Axels or quads; the podium finishers were on a different technical level from everybody else here, so Rakic won the "best of the rest" contest.

I think Brooke & Brandon should have been third in the free skate, but that's what skating in different flights will get you. They also performed well.

Yeah, I noticed the two fourth places as well. I was very impressed by Rakic, a worthy competitor. I liked Brooke and Brandon too, and felt they should have been third in the Free Skate. Not enough for the bronze medal probably, but definitely the Free Skate. Still, being fourth is quite a feat. I hope they'll do wel at JW (presuming they're going there).

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
YOG FD performances from the Canadians:

D'Alessandro / Waddell :https://youtu.be/Hx8kkFifE8g
Makita / Gunara: https://youtu.be/7H3-bTnLHYc

They finished 4th and 5th. The scores are what they are (around 10 points lower than the winners in the FD - don't agree with that) but imo, they did what they could and gave fantastic performances they can be proud of :). It will certainly light their competitive fires (remember how Lajoie/Lagha kept placing fourth and look who became the reigning WJC champions ;)).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Catherine Carle did okay in the free skate. Plenty to work on, but she landed two solid 3T-3Ts in this event, and that's more than can be said for most of our ladies. Just hope that whatever happened with the loop wasn't a real injury problem.

The ice dance results can't really be anything other than a disappointment. Some of those were level calls that I don't know enough about to assess, others were more obvious things like losing multiple twizzle levels (this has been a recurring problem for Natalie & Bruce this season) and the final lost spin level.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Not so surprising (the low levels for everyone but the Russians).

Wolfkostin & Chen earned the highest levels in the RD. And W&C had the second highest levels in the FD over Tyutyunina & Shustitskiy. Makita & Gunara earned the same levels in the RD as Tyutyunina & Shustitskiy. Makita & Gunara had higher levels than D'Alessandro & Waddell in both portions of this event.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I really was unhappy for both Canadian pairs. I do think they skated well, but alas, it wasn't enough. Not today at least, but who knows? Remember Lajoie and Lagha (who actually were fourth at the YOG in 2016) who got to be Junior Champs last year after many disappointments.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lajoie/Lagha made it to the JGPF before winning WJC. D/W haven't quite done that yet.

nadster

Final Flight
At least her students work on skating skill with Wing&Lowe now. To be fair, musicality and body awareness are sometimes gifts within.

Agree. I am more concerned with Rakic's axel technique which is weak . A 3A is not happening based on the way he does the 2A,

Mcleod is well known for teaching awful axel technique.