2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Let's go out on a limb and ask ourselves what will happen if, say, no one is clean & everyone skates kinda sorta like they usually do under a lot of pressure & the chance to win a National title (and on top of that the chance to earn the only berth at a home Worlds).

I dunno. They're the men.

Ziotic

Medalist
Now with Gogo out I’ll fairy certain Nam or Keegan will take the title. Unless Roman has the skate of his life and the others are insanely messy. And whichever stands atop the podium will go to worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How will the new TES requirements (30/51) affect the Canadian ladies? Aurora Cotop and Emily Bausback are no longer eligible for Worlds under the new minimums.
Mallet and Gabby are still eligible, based on scores from last season, and Schumacher is OK based on Warsaw Cup. How about Long and Pineault?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aurora and Emily have the 4CC minimums, so if they fare well enough at nationals to be considered for senior international assignments in the second half, they have the opportunity to get the World minimum there.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
How will the new TES requirements (30/51) affect the Canadian ladies? Aurora Cotop and Emily Bausback are no longer eligible for Worlds under the new minimums.
Mallet and Gabby are still eligible, based on scores from last season, and Schumacher is OK based on Warsaw Cup. How about Long and Pineault?

Michelle never had her minimums (she had the old FS one, but not high enough for the new one). Alicia's are still good.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aleksa Rakic achieved a Personal Best SP score of 70.96 and is in 4th place after this segment :clapper: : https://streamable.com/6d5er

Chris Howarth, the commentator, compares him to Kevin Reynolds.

Sorry for not uploading the video earlier, but I was very busy today, so I didn't get the chance to catch up with the YOG until now.

I may experience a power outage this weekend due to a major ice storm, so I won't be able to work on any videos if that's the case.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Aleksa Rakic achieved a Personal Best SP score of 70.96 and is in 4th place after this segment :clapper: : https://streamable.com/6d5er

Sorry for not uploading the video earlier, but I was very busy today, so I didn't get the chance to catch up with the YOG until now.

I may experience a power outage this weekend due to a major ice storm, so I won't be able to work on any videos if that's the case.

Rakic did very well. I watched his skate, and he really looked good. I was so happy for him.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Currently 3-4 in ice dance after the RD at the Youth Olympics, though with disappointing scores since the technical panel went after everyone with a machete (seriously, there was literally only one team in the event that managed to get good pattern levels, get good step sequence levels, and not fall).

AlinaRina

Rinkside
Currently 3-4 in ice dance after the RD at the Youth Olympics, though with disappointing scores since the technical panel went after everyone with a machete (seriously, there was literally only one team in the event that managed to get good pattern levels, get good step sequence levels, and not fall).

Yeah, I thought the #2 and #3 teams were hugely underscored and #1 overscored (would've had them 3rd). Not sure I really understand the level of brutality of the tech panel, so the FD should be... interesting.

Scout

Final Flight

I read your comment before I saw Aleksa's skate, and I was initially surprised that Chris compared him to Kevin. Unless the comparison is the slim physique, I associate Kevin with his technical abilities, and at the moment, Aleksa stands out more for his skating ability and musical interpretation.

Interesting that Chris said Aleksa was replacing Stephen. The news outlets that I'm aware of announced Stephen's withdrawal from Canadians, so I never realized he was originally slated for YOG. I wonder if Stephen was somehow attempting to compete at both (which seems very unlikely...)? Or was registered for both and planning on withdrawing from one anyways? I guess that irrelevant now...

Too bad about Brooke & Brandon's 2A, as it was otherwise a solid skate for them. If they had gotten the axel, they would have had a PB by a point or two.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Firstly I wish to say I really enjoyed the skates of our Canadian Ice Dancers today in Lausanne - the future looks very bright. But I was surprised by scores several points lower than previous international competitions. I just watched the RD of D'Alessandro / Waddell again and am truly seeking an educated analysis of why the tech panel gave them NNNN and NYNN for the compulsory dance. In previous competitions, they have done much better with international tech panels (NYYY and NNYY at Riga JGP; YYYY and NYNN at Egna JGP).

I can see two explanations - either they performed must worse today (I cant tell - it looked wonderful and they seemed very happy) or the technical panel is not applying the same criteria as other tech panels have done previously. While 9 judges often disagree with each other on assessing the quality of the skate and elements, which is why there are so many judges, the tech panels should be aiming for a high level of repeatability (i.e. little to no variation) of how levels are assessed. I.e. there should be no such thing as "generous" or "strict" tech panels. Neither extreme is doing figure skating (and the skaters and their fans) any favours.

This has been talked about on Golden Skate many times wrt assessing under-rotation of jumps. Even I can see under-rotations and understand when a downgrade should be applied. But ice dance! I am really hoping there is somebody that can comment and point out to me (and other fans like me that don't have eagle eyes) why what appears to be a beautifully skated dance, gets surprisingly low levels. If the skaters didn't skate their patterns well, while disappointing, it isn't a problem with the sport. But let's hope tech panels are not choosing whether or not to be generous or strict but calling exactly what the skater(s) are performing.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Firstly I wish to say I really enjoyed the skates of our Canadian Ice Dancers today in Lausanne - the future looks very bright. But I (along with others) were surprised by scores several points lower than previous international competitions. I just watched the RD of D'Alessandro / Waddell again and am truly seeking an educated analysis of why the tech panel gave them NNNN and NYNN for the compulsory dance. In previous competitions, they can done much better with international tech panels (NYYY and NNYY at Riga JGP; YYYY and NYNN at Egna JGP).

I can see two explanations - either they performed must worse today (I cant tell - it looked wonderful and they seemed very happy) or the technical panel is not applying the same criteria as other tech panels have done previously. While 9 judges often disagree with each other on assessing the quality of the skate and elements, which is why there are so many judges, the tech panels should be aiming for a high level of repeatability (i.e. little to no variation) of how levels are assessed. I.e. there should be no such thing as "generous" or "strict" tech panels. Neither extreme is doing figure skating (and the skaters and their fans) any favours.

This has been talked about on Golden Skate many times wrt assessing under-rotation of jumps. Even I can see under-rotations and understand when a downgrade should be applied. But ice dance! I am really hoping there is somebody that can comment and point out to me (and other fans like me that don't have eagle eyes) why what appears to be a beautifully skated dance, gets surprisingly low levels. If the skaters didn't skate their patterns well, while disappointing, it isn't a problem with the sport. But let's hope tech panels are not choosing whether or not to be generous or strict but calling exactly what the skater(s) are performing.
In terms of panel accuracy, I definitely don't have the skill at eyeballing those things myself. I tend to rely on the Mirtsos sisters for discussions of edge quality, so you may wait to see their comments on the RD for a sense of how the skating actually went.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not so surprising (the low levels for everyone but the Russians). The TC is Gordon Poltorak (POL). The TS (Baranov) is Ukrainian and he skated for the Soviet Union in his early performing days. The ATS is Julia Rey, from the US---but while Wolfkostin / Chen didn't get any favors either (of course, they had a fall in the RD), they did get an RD score slighly higher than their RD score in their 4th place finish despite the fall.

Note that the leader K/C had two previous competitions, but both of those competitions---Santa Claus Cup (HUN) and Ice Mall Cup (ISR) gave some of the most outrageously inflated scores ever.

It will all come down to the FD, but I don't expect any major changes in the order of placement.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
I am so tired of seeing my babies Miku and Tyler in fourth place!!! Getting 2 points lower in PCS than the top 3 is ridiculous. :dev2:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not so surprising (the low levels for everyone but the Russians).
The Russians were not the only ones to get good levels -- and for that matter, Tyutyunina/Shustitsky did not get particularly good levels; they hit fewer keypoints than Makita/Gunara, Yoshida/Nishiyama and Wolfkostin/Chen.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
While I try not to speculate on political motivations, I do find it odd that both Natalie and Miku could miss all their key points in both sections of the TTF pattern, when neither of them have done so on the JGP. The first and third key points of each of the two TTF sections correspond to the lady's steps and they received N's for both key points in both sections here. Natalie and Miku's key points were called by the TS while Bruce and Tyler's key points were called by the ATS. Hopefully, someone can provide some detailed analysis of the keypoints performed/not performed but for now on the surface, it looks like the TS was particularly tough on the Canadians.