2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Holy heck, I didn't realize he has the 6th best total this season! He has a shot to medal at 4CC! It's sad that only 1 man can go to Worlds, but should be a good battle at Nats.

Yep, and I think Messing has a higher scoring capacity as we saw his sp getting Jason Brown type scores. It is sad but what were the odds both Nam and Messing woudl be so off in the fs at the same time at the 2019 worlds. Now they or Canada are paying for it. Like I mentioned earlier if it is close I wonder if they (skate canada) will wait for 4CCs before deciding. These two in the last year have been constantly back and forth. Originally Messing looked stronger but this year Nam is getting more consistent and somewhat improving his skating skills.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all, I had posted this in Keegan’s thread, I have something very special I’d like to have thrown to Keegan at Nationals if anyone is willing. I doubt I will ever see him skate in person. It was suggested I try to contact Ralph to get it to him but I feel weird about that.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So the Youth Olympics start on Friday. Canadian skaters have never won a medal in any of the individual events, though that's less unusual than it sounds since there's only been two prior games and no Canadian skaters competed in 2012. 2016 we had people finish fourth in three of the four disciplines (all but ladies). Marjorie & Zach won a bronze medal as part of the Mixed NOC team event.

I'd say we're in a good position to get at least one of our ice dance teams on the podium this time. A pairs bronze could also happen, depending especially on whether the Chinese pair of Wang/Huang keep greatly underperforming their potential.

Scout

Final Flight
2016 we had people finish fourth in three of the four disciplines (all but ladies).

And we didn't have a representative in the ladies, so we have a 100% record of fourth place finishes in individual events. :biggrin:

Any chance that Canada push back Nationals by a week in YOG years in the future? Or is there issues with that: overlapping with US Nationals, or senior skaters not liking the quicker turn around time to 4CC or media issues or something else? It seems like US skaters don't need to decide between YOG and their Nationals.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Any chance that Canada push back Nationals by a week in YOG years in the future? Or is there issues with that: overlapping with US Nationals, or senior skaters not liking the quicker turn around time to 4CC or media issues or something else? It seems like US skaters don't need to decide between YOG and their Nationals.
Functionally the US skaters do, since competing in such different parts of the world with so little time in between isn't likely to produce good results. That's why Alysa Liu isn't at YOG, most likely.

I think it's very unlikely they'd try to move nationals around, particularly as the timing of the YOG itself varies (e.g., in 2016 the Canadian delegation was able to do both) and most of the time the people we're sending to YOG aren't going to be factors at senior nationals anyway (Gogolev is a bit of a rarity in that regard).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa Liu didn't want to do YOG because she didn't want to be doing different SP layouts (JR for YOG and SR for Nationals) right before Nationals. To put a 3a in her JR sp, she had to do 3a+3t, 3lo and 2a. The Juniors are doing the same programs for both YOG and Nationals.

slider11

Medalist
Lubov and Charlie are my new crush pairs team. I love the passion and musicality they bring to their performance. Her flexibility is amazing and I love the solid base that Charlie provides with lifts. Moore-Towers and Marinaro are likely the favorites for Nationals but I think I/B have a chance to win and certainly be a solid second.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There's been no other information (Gogolev has minimal news/social media footprint, in general). I expect that we might hear more when the CBC, etc. write their articles about the men's competition, if they've heard anything.

Could be injury, could also be that Gogolev has grown more and they don't feel he's ready to compete at the moment.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx for that...Yes,last time I saw him, he was all legs! :luv17: Wishing him the best.

trains

On the Ice
Beres Clements has also withdrawn. Is Audrey Carle at YOG? She is still listed in Junior pairs.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Iliya Kovler's name has also disappeared from the Starting Order.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
I expect a lot of the young, talented boys (Stephen, Iliya, Beres) are just having growth spurts and have lost their jumps. No point competing with no jumps; better to take the time off, stay calm, and relearn jumps carefully to avoid injury.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Im going to go out on a limb and if its close at nationals for men I would put Keegan ahead of Nam. I feel Nam still has a ton to improve on, especially his spins and the over all speed. He has def been consistent this year but Keegan will have the power to out score him by a mile if hes clean.