2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 62 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Apparently the Bavarian Open Junior Ladies are split into Groups by performance level. Group 1 is the higher ranking group: that's easily seen by the fact that 14 out of 18 in Group 1 made the SP TES for JW, while only the top 5 of 18 in Group 2 achieved the JW SP TES.

Actually they are grouped by age, not level

Doing a quick search, it looks like the younger women are in group 1, which chuckm identified as "the stronger group".

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Some of the draws for 4CC are being put up. Just pairs so far; pretty decent orders for I/B and W/M. A bit of a pity for the other three teams in the final flight that they have to skate after Sui/Han.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaiya made up the gap between here and Elsa Cheng in the free skate, narrowly finishing in gold medal position. The video is here.

One hand down on the 3F attempt, but this was definitely the best international performance of this program to date.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was Elsa Cheng's first international competition, as she's been skating Novice this season. She was one of 6 Novices to make it to Nationals as Juniors by finishing 1st or 2nd in the Novice Finals at Sectionals. She was 7th in Juniors at Nationals, one of 2 Novice skaters to finish in the top half of the field (the other was Isabeau Levito, who was 2nd in Juniors; she will make her international debut in the JGP next season).

Good for Elsa to challenge for gold, and also good for Kaiya, who will be facing much tougher competition in March.

natsulian

Final Flight
This was Elsa Cheng's first international competition, as she's been skating Novice this season. She was one of 6 Novices to make it to Nationals as Juniors by finishing 1st or 2nd in the Novice Finals at Sectionals. She was 7th in Juniors at Nationals, one of 2 Novice skaters to finish in the top half of the field (the other was Isabeau Levito, who was 2nd in Juniors; she will make her international debut in the JGP next season).

Good for Elsa to challenge for gold, and also good for Kaiya, who will be facing much tougher competition in March.

This is Elsa’s second international event. She was previously assigned to Golden Spin where she placed fourth in the Junior division.

Kaiya was wonderful in both the Short and Long. She has come a long way this season and I hope she can deliver two clean programs at Junior Worlds. Finishing in the Top 10 might be a difficult order, but Top 12 should be doable. If Kaiya manages to be impeccable and others make mistakes, then she has a good shot at Top 10.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
All hail our Gogo Overlord! :bow: Stephen got a Personal Best SP score of 81.18 and is the winner of this segment. He's noticeably taller, but why did he get rid of the elegant SP costume he had before? The striped shirt looks like it's from a cartoon prison.

Everything was perfect for Joseph until he missed the combo. :bang:

Colonel Green's vids for the Canadian men:

Stephen Gogolev SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQPr-A2d8pU

Joseph Phan SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyBShGr9Yks His actual score was 67.03 ( http://www.deu-event.de/results/BO2020/CAT005RS.HTM ), not 66.33 as listed in the video.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaiya was wonderful in both the Short and Long. She has come a long way this season and I hope she can deliver two clean programs at Junior Worlds. Finishing in the Top 10 might be a difficult order, but Top 12 should be doable. If Kaiya manages to be impeccable and others make mistakes, then she has a good shot at Top 10.
I'll be interested to see how she does. In terms of cleanliness she's becoming quite reliable, the biggest issue is that most of her jumps are low-GOE in terms of quality (this is an area where not being so tiny would, to a point, probably help) so she doesn't build up as big a TES as she otherwise could by skating clean. But on paper there's no way Alison should have beaten Tomoe last year (sigh, Tomoe, please be good this time), so we'll see how it all shakes out.

Elsewhere, Stephen and Joseph just competed in the junior men's short program. Stephen looked great (and particularly, much more comfortable with his longer limbs and taller frame compared to his JGP events). Joseph, sigh, so close to a great performance...

Gogolev SP
Phan SP

emdee

Final Flight
All hail our Gogo Overlord! :bow: Stephen got a Personal Best SP score of 81.18 and is the winner of this segment. He's noticeably taller, but why did he get rid of the elegant SP costume he had before? The striped shirt looks like it's from a cartoon prison.

Everything was perfect for Joseph until he missed the combo. :bang:

Colonel Green's vids for the Canadian men:

Stephen Gogolev SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQPr-A2d8pU

Joseph Phan SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyBShGr9Yks His actual score was 67.03 ( http://www.deu-event.de/results/BO2020/CAT005RS.HTM ), not 66.33 as listed in the video.

Gogo has great speed and flow.

On another note Siberia, you have gone all Royal, Emperors and now Lords!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On another Siberia you have gone all Royal, Emperors and now Lords!

Someone else coined "Gogo Overlord" years ago (I don't know who, and I'm not even sure if it was on this forum), so I thought it was fun to use it. The guys whom I refer to by their royal titles skate majestically in my eyes. :love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hopefully Gogo will survive puberty better than Nam. When those Canadian boys grow they grow lol. Nam and Roman are really tall for skaters. Not sure about Nic but he is much more muscular it would appear. Gogo looks a bit lanky and awkward but that is understandable. Good on Kaiya for Canada.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nam and Roman are really tall for skaters. Not sure about Nic but he is much more muscular it would appear.

Nic indeed has the largest build and he's the tallest among the top Canadian men if you go by the ISU's measurements (he's 185 cm whereas Roman is listed as 184 cm), and Joseph is taller than Nam (180 cm vs. 176 cm).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nic indeed has the largest build and he's the tallest among the top Canadian men if you go by the ISU's measurements (he's 185 cm whereas Roman is listed as 184 cm), and Joseph is taller than Nam (180 cm vs. 176 cm).

do not forget conrad :) who is quite tall as well... 183 cm

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Does anybody have a link to Madeline Schiza's 1st place free skate at Bavarian Open? I saw her short yesterday on the live feed and loved her skating skills, speed, lightness, flow etc. I see that except for some minor negative GOEs on her flip, she got strong positive GOEs on all other elements and good PCS for the programme (best by far of both groups of junior women). I missed the skate live due to work and would love to see it. Despite her being "old" at 16 (sarcasm) and so far only has the "easier" triple-triples, I believe she has a bright future and look forward to see her competing more internationally.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Does anybody have a link to Madeline Schiza's 1st place free skate at Bavarian Open? I saw her short yesterday on the live feed and loved her skating skills, speed, lightness, flow etc. I see that except for some minor negative GOEs on her flip, she got strong positive GOEs on all other elements and good PCS for the programme (best by far of both groups of junior women). I missed the skate live due to work and would love to see it. Despite her being "old" at 16 (sarcasm) and so far only has the "easier" triple-triples, I believe she has a bright future and look forward to see her competing more internationally.

Still awaiting as well for an upload of her Lp. Re 3/3 lite, Kaetlyn's big element at 16 was her 3T3T, and there is no shame in that. I agree, that Maddie's future looks very bright!

Roo87

Medalist
Still awaiting as well for an upload of her Lp. Re 3/3 lite, Kaetlyn's big element at 16 was her 3T3T, and there is no shame in that. I agree, that Maddie's future looks very bright!

Madeline was great today. She's a strong skater, and looked less nervy than at nationals.