2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 72 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don't understand this decision. Maddie, the highest scorer of all of them on multiple occasions, gets nothing? It doesn't make sense at all.

She’s only 16 and her only international competitive experience - junior or senior - seems to be Bavarian Open and Challenge Cup. Since I don’t think she trains in a super competitive environment like Eteri’s skaters, they might have decided not to throw her into a super high pressure situation like junior or senior worlds. She did really well, so hopefully she’ll get at least one JGP assignment next season.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I was also rooting for Madeline because she skated so well just yesterday (I saw her live). She gets nothing...no, she did get that bronze, and made a bit of a name for herself over here - consolation prize I guess.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
She’s only 16 and her only international competitive experience - junior or senior - seems to be Bavarian Open and Challenge Cup. Since I don’t think she trains in a super competitive environment like Eteri’s skaters, they might have decided not to throw her into a super high pressure situation like junior or senior worlds. She did really well, so hopefully she’ll get at least one JGP assignment next season.

you could replace 16 by 17 and it would fit the other girls description more or less... yes... madeline has less experience but she more than proved herself winning challenge, medaling at nationals, winning BO and medaling at challenge cup.... no other canadian lady has an international medal of any kind this year in seniors... that's a lot of consistency...

i understand though, that she doesn't have a lutz... and her SP BV is quite low... but i don't think Emily will do much more as she has issues with combos

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Maddie was robbed here. Emily is as inconsistent as they come, and while potential existed, she is yet another victim of the Coach McLeod flu. Perhaps Emanuel, Mira, Kevin or Jeremy, can provide Emily with an extra mask that she will need. :slink:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I'm really baffled by this and hurt for Madeline if they sent her to Challenge Cup with the belief that she was competing for a potential Worlds spot basically for nothing. And to not give her junior OR senior Worlds is just not right. This whole process should be an embarrassment for Skate Canada. Regardless of who ends up going and (likely) guaranteeing the drop down to one Worlds spot, the selection process should have some integrity. I see none in this choice unless Madeline is injured.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't understand this decision. Maddie, the highest scorer of all of them on multiple occasions, gets nothing? It doesn't make sense at all.

This makes no sense. Madi beat her and has been doing reasonably well (for a Canadian) Emily missed her chance at 4CC's and was given yet another chance at Challenge Int'l and crawled to qualify. And look at Roman at least he has shown greater potential and won a significant GP medal as a senior. Its a scandal an outrage. Why not send Gabby Daleman then. Nothing against Emily but she may have used up her 9 lives with this one. Well I am sure Emily and her family are celebrating. She better come through - but then we will all say well she wasn't expected to be top 12. All the wait and for this...really disappointing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maddie was robbed here. Emily is as inconsistent as they come, and while potential existed, she is yet another victim of the Coach McLeod flu. Perhaps Emanuel, Mira, Kevin or Jeremy, can provide Emily with an extra mask that she will need. :slink:

Oh dear...I never thought of that. Is she too doomed liked the dodo bird. Nothing against Ms. McLeod but her skaters show such promise and never seem to make it to where the potential seemed to be leading. I don't think Emily has shown the talent of Emanuel, Mira, Kevin or Jeremy.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice

I agree. The decision doesn't make any sense at all. A real head scratcher for sure. They really need to explain themselves as those of us who follow figure skating closely don't get it at all.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Wow, controversial choice... Even Meagan Duhamel thinks Madeline should have been chosen (and I agree) ... doesn't reflect well on Skate Canada tbh

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What ever rationale they have for choosing Emily should be the same for Roman if that’s the case tbh
The difference between the men’s and ladies is that Nam is much more competitive internationally than any of the ladies’ options.

If I had to guess, it was a combination of the national title and deciding to Hail Mary on base value. Emily attempts two Lutzes and a flip, as well as a backloaded triple-triple in the free. On the off chance she delivered that, she’d probably place reasonably well. Probably she won’t, but that leaves you in about the same place, placements-wise.

withwings

On the Ice

… then someone of you, Canadians, have to enlighten Emily that it is the best for to change a coach:).
Is there, in Vancouver, any other, better option for Emily coach wise? I guess Emily is in high school and not yet independent.
Emily, ask Patrick Chan to coach you! or go to Orser

Maddie really was impressive at Challenge.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
… then someone of you, Canadians, have to enlighten Emily that it is the best for to change a coach:).
There’s a considerable disconnect between what the skating fandom thinks of McLeod’s track record and what people within the skating community seem to think about her, for whatever reason (I think the former have the right of it, to be clear).

Skatefan15

On the Ice
The difference between the men’s and ladies is that Nam is much more competitive internationally than any of the ladies’ options.

If I had to guess, it was a combination of the national title and deciding to Hail Mary on base value. Emily attempts two Lutzes and a flip, as well as a backloaded triple-triple in the free. On the off chance she delivered that, she’d probably place reasonably well. Probably she won’t, but that leaves you in about the same place, placements-wise.

I hope that the base value was not the deciding factor because Emily has been wayyyy off of her “ceiling” and I feel like that shouldn’t be what you go off of since Maddie is projecting more upwards at this time. Additionally, since she jumps lower than Maddie I feel like unders are more common for her. Dang and I thought leaving Jessica and Brian (US) off was bad...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I hope that the base value was not the deciding factor because Emily has been wayyyy off of her “ceiling” and I feel like that shouldn’t be what you go off of since Maddie is projecting more upwards at this time. Additionally, since she jumps lower than Maddie I feel like unders are more common for her. Dang and I thought leaving Jessica and Brian (US) off was bad...
This is really the opposite of C/J, i.e., prioritizing nationals results above all else.

Madeline has certainly been on more of an upward trajectory, but I wouldn't say it's wrong to say that, with her current jump arsenal, her future potential is inherently limited. For the record, I don't know what her status vis a vis the bigger toe jumps is; does she have a Lutz in practice that isn't quite comp-ready yet, or does the jump not work at all/the edge is so bad that it's a full 'e'? Madeline is a much more compelling performer than Emily -- I'd rather watch her any day of the week, but jumping is the name of the game.