2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 73 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

gucko

Spectator
So the rationale for selecting Pineault (who finished 4th at Nationals) was that she did well at four continents and beat both Bausback and Schumacher. Yet when Schizas (who finished higher than Pineault at Nationals) does well at Challenge Cup and beats Bausback, she gets nothing. They need to be consistent with the selection criteria. Especially when you consider Schizas should have been sent to four continents instead of Pineault if Skate Canada had helped Schizas get the minimums for four continents. Her early season results warranted this.

The lack of consistency is very concerning. Either stick with nationals results and send Bausback and Schumacher or go with recent events results and send Schizas and Pineault.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would have been a bad idea to send Emily to JW: it's a little more than a week away, and she's already had 3 tough competitions one after another. Her poor performance in the FS at Challenge Cup may very well have been due to physical and emotional exhaustion. And sending the silver and bronze medalists to the two big ISU champs, leaving the champion at home is also not the best idea, either.

Let's not forget that Emily earned her Canadian championship with two good programs. OTOH, Madeline did only 3t+2t, 3lo, 2a in her Canadians SP, and three 1As in the FS. That was the highest-pressure event ever for her, and her nerves were showing. B events are far less daunting in comparison.

BTW, Pineault, Bausback and Schumacher were sent to 4CC because two of them (Alicia and Alison) had the TES minimums, and Emily was expected to earn the SP minimum there (didn't happen, which is why she was sent to Challenge Cup).

Skatefan15

On the Ice
This is really the opposite of C/J, i.e., prioritizing nationals results above all else.

Madeline has certainly been on more of an upward trajectory, but I wouldn't say it's wrong to say that, with her current jump arsenal, her future potential is inherently limited. For the record, I don't know what her status vis a vis the bigger toe jumps is; does she have a Lutz in practice that isn't quite comp-ready yet, or does the jump not work at all/the edge is so bad that it's a full 'e'? Madeline is a much more compelling performer than Emily -- I'd rather watch her any day of the week, but jumping is the name of the game.

I didn’t mean the situations are the same in regards to Maddie and Jessica/Brian. I was just commenting that the skaters who are starting to do better are the ones who are getting nothing (Maddie worst off since she didn’t go to 4cc). The only thing Emily has over Maddie is a 3Lz (which can sometimes be touchy). Maddie may not have as hard jumps but she is more consistent (she at least got over 60 and 100 for programs this past weekend). I like both Emily and Maddie, but I feel like the reasons for putting Emily on the team over Maddie (and frankly Alison over Maddie for JwW) are very confusing. Just my opinion though :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I like both Emily and Maddie, but I feel like the reasons for putting Emily on the team over Maddie (and frankly Alison over Maddie for JwW) are very confusing. Just my opinion though :)
I don't disagree that it's a surprise (it's the opposite of what I thought would happen, as my posts before the announcement attest). It would be nice to get some more details as to the federation's reasoning, but I'd guess that won't be forthcoming.

skatefancanada

Spectator
the real problem is the lack of consistency and transparency in these situations. If Slipchuk et al had already decided that the point of this past weekend's competition was to see if Emily could attain the qualifying score and for Madeline to gain experience, so be it. But, they should have let that be known in advance. To decide after the fact, and after Madeline outscores Emily by a huge margin, just reeks of politics and backroom deal making. There is also no consistency. If Emily is selected because she is national champion - fair enough; but then what about Roman? Nothing good ever comes from these shenanigans in the long run. I remember way back when Gordon Forbes was kept off the olympic team in 84 for a junior skater (who was barely heard of again as a top-level competitor) and Gordon then placed in the top ten at worlds that year. Sport should be decided on the playing field (or in this case on the ice) and not in board rooms.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I’m wondering if someone thought it might be bad form to not send either of its National singles champions to Worlds, and that drove a decision to send Emily to Worlds so long as she managed to get her minimums. Maybe Madeline was entered in these comps to provide additional options if Emily were to fall short. But as Emily didn’t fall short, Skate Canada now feels no need to consider Madeline any further.

The men’s situation is different, I think, because there was only one spot. Had there been two, I would have expected Roman to be going as well.

Just my completely uninformed speculation!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There’s a considerable disconnect between what the skating fandom thinks of McLeod’s track record and what people within the skating community seem to think about her, for whatever reason (I think the former have the right of it, to be clear).

I understand that the skating community including I believe Victor Kraatz when he was up there in the BC skating world thought or think highly of Ms.McLeod. For whatever reason and it might be a coincidence her skaters seem to fall short of their potential the latest appears to be Nam Nguyen It has been a while since he won junior worlds and yes there was a huge growth. Again, maybe it is just a coincidence. If I were superstitiious I would never send my kid there lol noting for example Ten Seemed to be such a beautiful skater; Reynolds, Sandu and Nguyen have all been fifth in the worlds and seemd to have potential and then the disaster with Mira for whatever reason. It just isn't a great track record or a sad coincidence how she has always had her hands on these skating hopes - all who seemed to fallshort of what many thought could be world medals. I am wondering if she ever sees these odd coincidences and wonders if it is her? I wonder if she reads these posts? Oh well I guess she has tough skin. Too bad it appears her skaters have tough luck.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Alicia and Maddie would have been a great world team... :cry:

I think great is all relative with Canada. At their prime Kaetlyn and Osmond would not even be on the same planet. We are talking two ladies who might not even make the freeskate at worlds versus world medallists.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
What ever rationale they have for choosing Emily should be the same for Roman if that’s the case tbh

I think the difference is that Canada has two me not named Roman who could be in (and have been in) the top ten and keep two spots.

With ladies. Keeping 2 spots will be difficult. So they may just want to give experience to Emily and send someone with at least GP experience. And home audience experience at that.

Who knows in the end. Probably should have waited till now to announce any of them to be honest.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I’m wondering if someone thought it might be bad form to not send either of its National singles champions to Worlds,

That makes a lot of sense actually. Especially for a home worlds. Heck there could even be some ticket holders that would be upset and not seeing two national champs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That makes a lot of sense actually. Especially for a home worlds. Heck there could even be some ticket holders that would be upset and not seeing two national champs.

it doesn't really matter tbh... people will be wondering why gabby and vero are not there.... for the once in every so often fan, madeline or emily... champion or not, it's doesn't make a difference.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get that having a triple lutz is a must for a Senior lady but with the way Emily has been skating compared to Schizas why not go with the hot hand? It's not like Emily is a two time National champion who had a bad skate at the wrong time. Maybe Skate Canada thought it was a bad look if both of their singles Nationals champions didn't go to Worlds. :scratch2:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I didn’t mean the situations are the same in regards to Maddie and Jessica/Brian. I was just commenting that the skaters who are starting to do better are the ones who are getting nothing (Maddie worst off since she didn’t go to 4cc). The only thing Emily has over Maddie is a 3Lz (which can sometimes be touchy). Maddie may not have as hard jumps but she is more consistent (she at least got over 60 and 100 for programs this past weekend). I like both Emily and Maddie, but I feel like the reasons for putting Emily on the team over Maddie (and frankly Alison over Maddie for JwW) are very confusing. Just my opinion though :)

Maybe this weekend was really all or nothing. You go to SW or nothing because you will be too tired for JW. But still Maddi did what she had to do and it is all for none. What happens if neither Canadian makes the fs. Does Canada lose its one spot to worlds in 2021 or can they qualify in the fall?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Well they better show up to the short program or theymight not seen the national champ :(

Tavi...

Record Breaker
you could replace 16 by 17 and it would fit the other girls description more or less... yes... madeline has less experience but she more than proved herself winning challenge, medaling at nationals, winning BO and medaling at challenge cup.... no other canadian lady has an international medal of any kind this year in seniors... that's a lot of consistency...

i understand though, that she doesn't have a lutz... and her SP BV is quite low... but i don't think Emily will do much more as she has issues with combos

I was totally rooting for Madeline to do well here, and she did. I hope she gets a JGP based on her great performance. I don’t know how she feels or what was explained to her, and I have no idea how she would have responded if she were thrown into junior or god forbid senior worlds. If she has the temperament of someone like Alysa Liu, who seems to thrive on competition, she might have done just fine.

But what if she’s more like me? As a very young and inexperienced singer - I might have done one or two small auditions at that point - my then teacher threw me into the Met Auditions - basically like going to Worlds - when I was far from ready. Why? Because she felt that her own teacher had held her back. I did very poorly, and although I ultimately learned to nail auditions and did very well, that one bad audition stayed with me a long time and set me back quite a bit. So that’s where I’m coming from. Depending on what Madeline’s temperament is, SC may have decided it was best not to push her into worlds too quickly. In fact, it might have been a kindness that will allow her to better develop her talent long term. Wishing the best for her.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What happens if neither Canadian makes the fs. Does Canada lose its one spot to worlds in 2021 or can they qualify in the fall?
This was already explained earlier. All countries get one spot at Worlds, as long as they have a skater with the minimums.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe this weekend was really all or nothing. You go to SW or nothing because you will be too tired for JW. But still Maddi did what she had to do and it is all for none. What happens if neither Canadian makes the fs. Does Canada lose its one spot to worlds in 2021 or can they qualify in the fall?

Every ISU member is entitled to a representative at World's provided they have athletes with the minimums.

Canada is no different in this regard. They may lose ONE spot, but they're not going to lose everything... as in being disinvited to future competitions altogether.

Is that what you were asking?

rain

Record Breaker
I understand that the skating community including I believe Victor Kraatz when he was up there in the BC skating world thought or think highly of Ms.McLeod. For whatever reason and it might be a coincidence her skaters seem to fall short of their potential the latest appears to be Nam Nguyen It has been a while since he won junior worlds and yes there was a huge growth. Again, maybe it is just a coincidence. If I were superstitiious I would never send my kid there lol noting for example Ten Seemed to be such a beautiful skater; Reynolds, Sandu and Nguyen have all been fifth in the worlds and seemd to have potential and then the disaster with Mira for whatever reason. It just isn't a great track record or a sad coincidence how she has always had her hands on these skating hopes - all who seemed to fallshort of what many thought could be world medals. I am wondering if she ever sees these odd coincidences and wonders if it is her? I wonder if she reads these posts? Oh well I guess she has tough skin. Too bad it appears her skaters have tough luck.

My issue with McLeod is that more often than not, her skaters have poor to middling skating skills that never seem to improve. That's the problem that Nam is having now. He didn't learn the skating skills when he was younger and he's struggling to bring them up to par now. Like Kevin Reynolds. They've got the big jumps, but not the basics. The ones with good skating skills acquired them somewhere else before going to her. This often seems to mean that her skaters will get so far, then no further.

On the plus side, most of her skaters tend to have great mental game, which is admirable, and does get her skaters further than they otherwise might go. She has also taken on a couple of really tough cases (Sandhu, Leung) who came with challenges that were really outside of her control.

As for sending Bausback to worlds, it's not what I would have done, but it's kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other with the Canadian ladies. Any and all of them will be hard-pressed to make it to the free skate, so I don't think it really matters that much who goes. It's really just experience for whoever does. I don't think anyone realistically expects them to retain two spots, nor does Canada really need two at this juncture.