2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The reality is that there are only so many human beings on the planet that have three different solid & rotated quadruple jumps. And that number is very small. (Maybe 5 guys? And then several more + Trusova trying to get there). It will likely go up with this next generation, but Nam moved up before the multiple-quad revolution. He is having a great season for himself right now after a very tough transition to adulthood. It is an interesting scenario in that back in 2015, I remember people thinking he would have an advantage by the 2018 Olympics because he had moved up early. But life does not run according to the predictions of random posters. Life happens. Injuries, coaching changes, adolescence--which impacts people both physically & emotionally, deaths in one's family, financial struggles, less-dedicated partners, physics, etc. The terrific thing about Nam right now is that he really seems to have made it through & gained perspective. He is becoming a better competitor.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
But as I said, several of those years were well-known to be very bad years for him. It's kind of pointless to ignore that when discussing his trajectory and current status.

Like, it'd be silly to talk about Osmond's career and act like the disastrous 2014 injury and its aftermath wasn't a thing.

I am not denying he had rough times but it is somewhat sad, disheartening to see someone who appeared to be close to etting two quad jumps then sort of lose it for so long. But it doesn't matter now I guess because he is either going to sink or swim.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Unless she's going to progress from trying it in a harness to doing it in competition in two weeks, I'm not sure what the one has to do with the other.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Unless she's going to progress from trying it in a harness to doing it in competition in two weeks, I'm not sure what the one has to do with the other.

''Other'' being she has the highest score of any Canadian woman this season, has podiumed her past 2 International comps., demonstrates consistency, growth, maturity and continues to challenge despite SC decision...so yes, ''other'' has everything to do when irrational decisions are being made.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many, many ladies from countries all over the world are trying 3a in harness. Gracie Gold was doing it just this past summer.

It's fairly easy to do a 3a in harness, but much, much more difficult to try it without harness. Just ask Alaine Chartrand.....

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
A big difference being, and no disrespect to any specific skater, she's 17 and attempting and not 25, chuckm.

Amei

Record Breaker

But if you look at someone like Shcherbakova who is training the triple axel and from what we know is not close to getting it into a competition program, she's had improvement on her double axel.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The first JWC draws (men and pairs) are out. Patricia & Zach are last in Group 1, Kelly Ann & Loucas are second in Group 2. Stephen and Joseph are second and fifth, respectively, in the penultimate group.

Balloon

On the Ice
Good job by KellyAnn and Loucas, hope they continue that way tomorrow.
Patricia and Zac had struggles, but through a colleague who is a regular around the arenas, it was said he has had illness since Nationals that has keep him off the ice and it’s been minimal training for them. Hoping they can pull through in the free, hoping she will be landing the throws like I saw her doing all week at National practices, a newer element but she has them let’s hope to see them consistent.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maddie practicing her 3A...https://www.instagram.com/p/B9P5heMJwQI/

Thanks for nothing SC and co. as WE waz robbed. But JML is happy, and that's what matters ...most. :eek:hwell:

I really think we need to start saying full names there are too many Maddies and who is JML. lol lmao wtf sarcasm

- - - Updated - - -

Good job by KellyAnn and Loucas, hope they continue that way tomorrow.
Patricia and Zac had struggles, but through a colleague who is a regular around the arenas, it was said he has had illness since Nationals that has keep him off the ice and it’s been minimal training for them. Hoping they can pull through in the free, hoping she will be landing the throws like I saw her doing all week at National practices, a newer element but she has them let’s hope to see them consistent.

We aren't allowed to talk about worlds in this thread I thought. So I won't comment here.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We aren't allowed to talk about worlds in this thread I thought. So I won't comment here.

I thought the only embargo about competition-talk was while the competition was actually going on. At one time that meant, don't talk about Junior Worlds until the last skater of Junior Worlds has skated in the FS of the last event. Now I believe that has been relaxed to "don't talk about the pairs short program until it's over, and don't compare skater's performances".

I believe Balloon's post was made after the JW pairs SP ended, and it only talks about the Canadian skaters, so I think it is OK.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Our dance teams are 8-9-10 after the RD, very closely bunched together (though Emmy & Aissa would be slightly further ahead if not for a costume deduction).

The junior ladies' draw happened, Kaiya is midway through Group 5 (of 8!), while Alison is fourth in Group 7. Looking at who Alison is skating alongside...uh, yeah, I hope she's ready for the pressure.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Kaya will learn from this experience, her first World Championships.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
I'd rather Kaiya learn this lesson now, as a 1st year junior at a low-stakes JW. Experienced gained, hopefully she'll come back better next time.

Good for Alison and her clean skate - if she'd been able to add a triple-triple combo she would've been up there. Hopefully something she'll add next season. Lovely to see her smiling!