2019 4CCs: Ladies' FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Ladies' FS

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I rather enjoyed Kihira's free skate. I see distinct styles among all the skaters.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just saw the results....Looks like the North American Ladies didn't skate well in the free. They both dropped from medal positions. No Canadian in the either, we need to step it up.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
The head scratcher for me was the choreography change in Rika’s step sequence. Those unusual and music-fitting little touches (which I considered as highlights of the choreography) were eliminated.

WHY? WHY?

The head scratcher for me was the choreography change in Rika’s step sequence. Those unusual and music-fitting little touches (which I considered as highlights of the choreography) were eliminated.

WHY? WHY?

It's mostly intact? Towards the end she is quite tentative compared to her nationals performance at least (can't find GPF), and therefore it looks less good, but I think detailing is mostly preserved. What are you pointing out?

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Yes, my mistake - all the time I forget that in different languages, different idioms. I wanted to say that there is nothing catchy, memorable. After watching the short programs Tennel and Bell, I had their images in my head, pictures from their programs, they did not let me go. They had something interesting, catchy, "raisin", as we say

I think you are making interesting points here although some will jump on you for saying it. I agree with you re Bradie and Mariah; I am enjoying them this year in a way I never did before. When female skaters skate to Disney tunes or whiney songs, I am gone. I do find that many female Japanese skaters skate to that type of music and they all blend together for me - sad because they are tough competitors and I blame their coaches and national org. for pressuring them into that. I adore Russian skaters and find they are either jumping beans (mostly Eteri's) or young women wanting to re-establish themselves through artistry (Mishin's). I will happily watch both. What I do find fascinating, as an aside, is how a lot of attention is paid to bashing Eteri and her young girl contingent and very little attention is given to Mishin and his group of older skaters. I would like to hear more about that!
Overall, my impression is that female skaters have to fight much more to display some originality, "raisins"! I don't speak Russian but I think I would want it to be "chocolate chip (semi-sweet).

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Just saw the results....Looks like the North American Ladies didn't skate well in the free. They both dropped from medal positions. No Canadian in the either, we need to step it up.

Canada needs a top skater: either recovering Daleman or Kaetlyn Osmond (if she wants to come back) or find a new one.

American ladies are always very close, especially Bradie but the competition nowadays is so fierce that consistency matters a lot.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
It's mostly intact? Towards the end she is quite tentative compared to her nationals performance at least (can't find GPF), and therefore it looks less good, but I think detailing is mostly preserved. What are you pointing out?

WHY? WHY?

I posted a video on my channel comparing Rika's early season FS with GPF FS. Incredible how much it changed! And now it changed once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZflKrvQCTwk

I'll be uploading one with 4CC comparison but not sure it's going to stay up because SBS is out hunting.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I posted a video on my channel comparing Rika's early season FS with GPF FS. Incredible how much it changed! And not it changed once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZflKrvQCTwk

I'll be uploading one with 4CC comparison but not sure it's going to stay up because SBS is out hunting.

That was an interesting comparison; thanks for making that video. I forgot she got rid of the why-why-why hands (thankfully).

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Elizabet Tursynbayeva's opening quadruple Salchow pushed her ahead of Mai Mihara to the second place. Eteri Tutberidze has done a good job to her new pupil. Rika Kihira downgraded the second triple axel to a double axel probably due to difficult conditions she faced but she managed to score above 150. The first triple axel was as clean as a whistle. Her free program almost made me cry when I watched her run-through practice.

vunhung3001

Rinkside
If Rika wins Worlds title next month, will she become the first skater to win all international competitions where she enters on senior debut ? It would be impressive. I like her 3A, it looks smooth and easy. And her FS is choreographed brilliantly which helped highlight her strengths so well.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
If Rika wins Worlds title next month, will she become the first skater to win all international competitions where she enters on senior debut ? It would be impressive. I like her 3A, it looks smooth and easy. And her FS is choreographed brilliantly which helped highlight her strengths so well.

I believe Evgenia did it. Not sure.

Rika is the only lady ever that I watch with the same excitement that I watch Yuzuru. The level of her performance is second to none with an unparalleled technical power. She is the beautiful storm :luv17::luv17::luv17:

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
Elizabet Tursynbayeva's opening quadruple Salchow pushed her ahead of Mai Mihara to the second place. Eteri Tutberidze has done a good job to her new pupil. Rika Kihira downgraded the second triple axel to a double axel probably due to difficult conditions she faced but she managed to score above 150. The first triple axel was as clean as a whistle. Her free program almost made me cry when I watched her run-through practice.

I can't tell if it's truly a big point difference. Sticking the 3T on her 3Lutz on the second half seems more valuable points wise. Wouldn't it be better to do a 3A-2T instead of 3A-3T? If she does a 3A-3T, will adding a second 3T on a lutz Zayak?

rikaquegira

On the Ice

WHY? WHY?

watching it side by side ( https://youtu.be/DN919d3m-7o ) I confirmed my first impression: the changes to the choreography(not just the stsq, the whole thing) are very good, her upper body movements, especially the arm movements, are more polished. The expression is also much better. She said in an interview Tom Dickson made her practice her look at the judges more than ten times LOL and it shows.
What I think is missing here at times in this performance is the intent, not skating with so much purpose in her moves, like she really means it. That's probably because the changes to the choreography are pretty recent, by her next competition in Holland I'm sure it will look better and by WC I hope it will be perfect. :pray:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I can't tell if it's truly a big point difference. Sticking the 3T on her 3Lutz on the second half seems more valuable points wise. Wouldn't it be better to do a 3A-2T instead of 3A-3T? If she does a 3A-3T, will adding a second 3T on a lutz Zayak?

but then how will she be "the only lady doing 3A3Ts in competition"??? :laugh2:

Rika is here for the history, dear :laugh:

watching it side by side ( https://youtu.be/DN919d3m-7o ) I confirmed my first impression: the changes to the choreography(not just the stsq, the whole thing) are very good, her upper body movements, especially the arm movements, are more polished. The expression is also much better. She said in an interview Tom Dickson made her practice her look at the judges more than ten times LOL and it shows.
Maybe I'm just not seeing the choreographic changes in the footwork. She does try to do it with more bodily commitment and the arm gesturing is slightly different, but IDK if that's equivalent to changing the choreography; it mostly looks the same there.

The change I do like and see is the removal of rippons on the loop and flip. It makes the jumps look a lot more stable, and goes better with the theme.

Fluture

Record Breaker
So, after I watched the whole event (missed my alarm tonight and overslept. :( ), here are a few thoughts:

Rika: She did it again. What a skater. Her FS is one of my favorite programs this season. It‘s unique, dramatic and brilliantly choreographed. Every movement has a meaning, there are subtle details and touches to everything. On top of that Rika is such a quality skater. Those skating skills, while still not the best and outclassed by other Japanese senior skaters, are beautiful, deep edges, quiet skating. However, her interpretation today wasn‘t as good as we‘ve seen her before this season. She seemed not as involved as for example during NHK or even GPF. The shaky ending pose also kind of ruined the “wow“ impression at the end. It was obvious to me that this is far from her best and I hope she recovers from her injury. But given the circumstances, she did REALLY well. The first 3A... so clean, so smooth. Loved it. There are some programs that give me goosebumps while I watch a skater perform them. Rika‘s Beautiful Storm is one of them. She was the highlight of the event for me. I don‘t know what it takes and when we’ll see a clean SP and FS for the first time but it‘s impressive how she managed to be calm and keep her nerves together after the problems in the SP. Congrats, Rika! :clap:

Lil‘Bet: I’ll be honest. If I could choose, I would have three Japanese on the podium. But I‘m not a judge. Lil’Bet will probably never be a skater I specifially enjoy watching. She has a somewhat junior like quality to her plus her jumps have a weird air position. Also, I just do not connect with her skating at all. Have not under Orser, will not under Eteri either. But credit where credit is due: She did really well here and it’s obvious that the coaching change payed off tremendously for her. Eteri‘s system just seems to suit her better. The 4S was also really close, fully rotated but fell. If she keeps trying it, we‘ll probably see a completely clean one soon. She was also really happy during the medal ceremony. So, congrats.

Mai: I feel like Mai is a skater you have to watch a few times to truly appreciate her quality. I’ll admit it, I saw her at the beginning of the season and was not impressed. But now, I feel like she has many great qualities and I really enjoy her FS. Yes, it‘s soft and lyrical and the “typical Japanese program“ if you’d like. So what? She pulls it off. Her skating skills are as if she was skating through butter, not ice. I know many are all about the big jumps and the quads and triple axels but for me that‘s something that shouldn‘t be overlooked. I feel like she is musical and simply an elegant skater. Maybe she doesn‘t have a unique packaging or dramatic music. But today she moved me and I’m happy for her to have a medal. She deserves it.

Kaori: Oh dear. That was heartbreaking. Kaori is very different from Rika and Mai. More athletic, powerful. I do feel like she is artistic and has shown this before. Maybe she‘s not the most refined skater yet and her upper body movement could use some work. But just look at what she‘s doing with her skates! Frankly, I don‘t care what‘s happening with her face, I’m too busy watching how she moves across the ice, the deep edges and knee bend on her jumps...

However, today was clearly not her best. Everything went well until that popped 2A combo. I don’t know what happened, it was totally out of nowhere and after that it just went downhill. The difference was so small in the end. Like I said, I know that Lil’Bet was stronger technically and deserved to be ahead on that. Still, if I could have chosen, I would have had Kaori in third (Mai in second). But again, I‘m not a judge so it doesn‘t really matter anyway what I say. :laugh:

Bradie: I like dramatic Bradie. Frankly, I couldn’t stand her programs last season. This year, I feel like her packaging is much better. I really enjoy her SP and her FS has improved too, artistically. I wish she could steal a bit of that knee bend of the Japanese skaters, hers are always so stiff... Shame for the 3Lz-3Lo. It’s gutsy that she still tries it and wants to improve but I wish she would work on stamina first. She has constant UR problems, especially in the second half. She could have had a chance here but alas, it shouldn‘t have beeen.

Mariah: Another heartbreak. She’s such a wonderful skater. A performer like I’ve rarely seen one. But the jumps... she‘s just not consistent. But she‘s got a small medal for the SP at least.

Eunsoo: A bit similar to Mariah. A wonderful performer but nerves just tend to get to her. She‘s still very young and I hope she can overcome this because she certainly has the talent.

Yelim: Who changed her FS dress? Like, seriously, I normally love all the Korean ladies dresses. But this one makes her look older than she is and seems to be made of very heavy material. Shame for the missed combo (no 2A-3T, I think?) but I like her FS. She has talent, I hope she can improve further.

I was very happy for Veronik and Larkyn, they really showed their best here. Ting... she has wonderful spins, beautiful jumps and I like how she moves her arms. Today was not her day. I’ll have to say, though, I was shocked to see her coach say to her: “man, you can’t let this get to you! You gotta be stronger!“ seconds after she came of the ice. I mean, she’s a teenager who just had a disaster skate, at least let her breathe a bit before you start to lecture her.

All in all, it was a good event but not great. Too many heartbreaks. I hope at Worlds we‘ll see all of these ladies step up and show clean skates to fight for the medals. Congrats again to Rika, Elizabet and Mai! :clap: