2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Free Skate

Ziotic

Medalist
What a bad luck for Conrad... He's 5th at Nationals, but only 3rd as a junior :drama:
I see two solutions.
First: he earns senior TES and goes to Worlds. Alternatively: he and Jo compete at senior B and the better goes to senior Worlds, the other to Junior Worlds.
Second: he checks whether he possibly has a Polish passport. Poland doesn't have a junior men for JW...
There are only 2 slots for Sr worlds and those will be Nam and Keegan.

Nationals really was the skate off between Jo and Conrad.

sowcow

On the Ice
What a bad luck for Conrad... He's 5th at Nationals, but only 3rd as a junior :drama:
I see two solutions.
First: he earns senior TES and goes to Worlds.
Alternatively: he and Jo compete at senior B** and the better goes to senior Worlds, the other [goes] to Junior Worlds.

How would that work?

(CAN=2)(CAN=2)
eligible for
Sr. Worlds
has the TES
min. score?
eligible for
Jr. Worlds
1.Nam-Nguyen1x
2.Stephen.Gogolevx1
3.Keegan Messing2x
4.Joseph Phanx2**or Sr. B skate-off for Jr. Worlds spot #2
5.Conrad Orzelxx**or Sr. B skate-off for Jr. Worlds spot #2

Of the scenarios you outlined, isn't the only one that could really happen the Senior B skate-off ... but with the winner getting spot #2 at Jr. Worlds (not Senior Worlds), and the other 'nothing'?.
Or am I missing something? :scratch2: Canada only has 2 spots :rock:in the Men's competition at both Jr. & Sr. Worlds, right?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So happy to see Nam improve his skating skills - I feared he would be another Caroline Zhang great promise as a junior and some natural flare but never could get to the senior level of excellence lacking power, speed and amplitude forget the mule kick.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Nam on his very deserved win!

Rod: Have you ever seen anything like this?

Tracy: Not in someone so young! Ummmmmmm......Michelle Kwan & Tara Lipinski ring a bell?

I wasn't impressed with Gogolev's presentation, but he's only 14. His technical content is great and once he learns to better relate to the music, he'll be near unbeatable.
Well I can't say much about Tara as I don't know but seeing Michelle skate at thata age and remember girls mature earlier she was quite coltish/weak skating lacking amplitude at yer young age so I wouldn't say she was much better. He isn't bad but I am not holding my breath. i remember Tracey Wainman and Canada was a mess with her and let's be honest curse or otherwise the Canadian men continual underperform or don't get the breaks - Pockar, Orser, Stojko, Browning, Buttle, Sandhu, Chan - all seemed to fallshort of their potential glory

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I mean at least Jo gets Jr Worlds

Conrad gets passed over and gets nothing.

You know I keep on hear about Conrad and Phan getting passed over but that isn't so. Keegan and Nam are ahead and better more secure choices. Conrad isn't going because he was the third junior behind Gogo boy and Phan.

... curse or otherwise the Canadian men continual underperform or don't get the breaks - Pockar, Orser, Stojko, Browning, Buttle, Sandhu, Chan - all seemed to fallshort of their potential glory

Well, they didn't win an Olympic gold medal. But combined they have 12 world championships and 6 Olympic medals.

rain

Record Breaker
Well, they didn't win an Olympic gold medal. But combined they have 12 world championships and 6 Olympic medals.

I'd like this comment 100 times if I could. An Olympic gold medal isn't the only measure of success. If it was Sarah Hughes would be the pinnacle of achievement and Michelle Kwan a failure.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I see two solutions.
First: he earns senior TES and goes to Worlds. Alternatively: he and Jo compete at senior B and the better goes to senior Worlds, the other to Junior Worlds.
Second: he checks whether he possibly has a Polish passport. Poland doesn't have a junior men for JW...

this is the kind of comment that irks me ... it's like suggesting that Nam should have competed at the Olympics for vietnam when he didn't make the team... skaters choose the country they want to compete for when there is either a strong connection with that country or a golden opportunity... Conrad has never mentioned competing for Poland. I adore Conrad and would like to see him at ALL competitions ... but come on..... if every time a Canadian skater doesn't qualify we do this game... wait

Nam = vietnamese background
Keegan = USA
GOOG = Canadian born from Russian parents
Jo = half chinese half vietnamese if i recalll
conrad = polish parents but born in Canada...

etc...

icetug

Medalist
Conrad has never mentioned competing for Poland. I adore Conrad and would like to see him at ALL competitions ... but come on.....

I should have pointed that my post is of very wishful thinking cathegory... In ideal world Conrad could accept the invitation to skate at JWC as the spot will be untapped. But I know it's both impossible and improbable. I'm sorry if I offended Canadian fans - and especially you, 4everchan.

Ziotic

Medalist
You know I keep on hear about Conrad and Phan getting passed over but that isn't so. Keegan and Nam are ahead and better more secure choices. Conrad isn't going because he was the third junior behind Gogo boy and Phan.

I’m talking about 4CC. Where we get to send 3 men and Nic will be the third who finished behind Conrad and Jo, both of whom are eligible but Canada never sent them to get their minimums.

binky

Rinkside
keegan totally won my heart. every movement he makes is a joy. this program definitely places him with the greatest canadian skaters! for me stephen was successful only because he has not yet grown and lacks the movement of understanding the music from within. nam did a good job but somewhat wonky compared to keegans wonderful movement.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
silly comments moment:

Matthew Markell: very impressed by the boy. I hope to see him again, maybe on international fields.

Nicolas Nadeau. I love this program! I love everything about it, the songs, the music cuts, the stsq and of course nicolas’s performance. I just can’t get enough:biggrin:

Roman Sadovsky: with January 27th approaching this feels just appropriate. Overall he is a lovely talented skater and I would like a lot to see him totally clean

Conrad Orzel: he is a beautiful skater, if he could just be clean! Anyway he is young and has still a lot to learn

Keegan Messing: he was messy, but who cares? He is always a joy to watch! His speed is out of this world, the jumps are beautiful even when he falls and what an entertainer he is!

Stephen Gogolev: he is so young, it’s understandable that the pressure got him, also he ran out of fuel at the end but it doesn’t change any of his achievements

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Happy for Nam :cheer: I was rooting for Keegan, but he looked really happy for namnamnoodle and both are going to worlds! As a bonus for me Nadeau is going with them to four continents :yahoo:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I honestly was entertained by Keegan and Nam. They could have given Nam even higher pcs. I would have been fine with scores in the mid 180's. If this was in the US I think 190 would be possible. I honestly was so impressed by Nam - I really thought he was the Caroline Zhang former junior champ but could not gain the strength to win gold

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m so proud of everyone who posted in this thread, you all managed to take the overall snark, sarcasm, and hilarity past the SarahSynchro standard of 11/10. This thread went all the way to 14/10. Group hug! :ghug:

Now I gotta go find a needle and thread to reattach my severed ears...

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I’m so proud of everyone who posted in this thread, you all managed to take the overall snark, sarcasm, and hilarity past the SarahSynchro standard of 11/10. This thread went all the way to 14/10. Group hug! :ghug:

Now I gotta go find a needle and thread to reattach my severed ears...

*these go to 14 gif*

I feel spoiled by Canadian nationals, especially in dance.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Canadians:

I never listened to a whole flight of skating with Rod Black before tonight.

My friends, you are saints:pray:

The suffering has been going on for years! It has scarred our collective consciousness and caused us all to wince every time CTV tries to get access to the Olympic coverage.