2019 European Championships Men's Short Program | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2019 European Championships Men's Short Program

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I would be resent about Javier's 4S call by russian tech controllers.. but eventually I am not. Reason? Because Zagitova's 3Lo got similar call by canadians (or swedish? I don't remember) controllers as well - so all is fair in the end. Both calls were quite arbitrary - there were about 95-100 degree of UR in both cases which usually are not noticed for top skaters with reputation. But if they decided to play that game first - here is the answer.

Wow, Javi had his 4S called <. I watched the replay multiple times and it was fully around. What an egregious call by the technical panel.

It wasn't. Compare both these angles https://youtu.be/IhAJN_iXi9c?t=88 and https://youtu.be/IhAJN_iXi9c?t=302 - it can be seen that the direction of a jump from one angle is almost parallel to the board while from other - almost perpendicular. So it depended on what camera angle was available for judges as well as their willingness to notice it.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Wow, Javi had his 4S called <. I watched the replay multiple times and it was fully around. What an egregious call by the technical panel.

OK, I watched his performance again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhAJN_iXi9c In real time - both quads were borderline on rotation according to the new rules, but they looked as they could pass. But in a slowmo you can see that 4S lacked more rotation and there was a clear hook on the landing, the only difference was that landings were not shoot from the same camera angle in a real time and on reply... It was totally fine decision to call his 4S i think, after looking at it again... and even some may argue he was lucky they didn't call his other quad too...

Country
Norway
Just catched up with the two last group. What a event!

Kolyada was amazing, hitting 100 points, so happy for him.

Not entirely clean Fernandez, but he is still strong. But this program didn´t do so much for me as before, maybe he just can´t top last time?

Kevin Aymoz was also one of the top moments. Apart from beiing very strong technical, his program was also very cool, and really powerfull!

Deniss yellow pants, and nice performance! I enjoyed his program, and I think Lambiel is a perfect fit for Deniss!

Also very strong performance by Daniel Grassl, which btw looks very young.

All in all, the first 10 has over 80 points, that is pretty sick!

LadyB

Record Breaker
I was watching on my mobile while at my office desk. Had no time to chat when it got really interesting, but hey, great event. I’m happy for all my faves, apart from Morisi.
I would have wanted for Javi to win, but if this is the moment where Misha finds his mojo again, so be it! Looking forward to Saturday!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
what an event! not many splats or pops, very high level of skaters and performances. not many scores are what we were expecting, but it wouldn't be fun otherwise, right? :biggrin:

Aleksandr SELEVKO: he goes right in the nice surprises category. did he skate at a jgp? i don't remember him.

Matyas BELOHRADSKY: this boy is full of talent, I really enjoyed him a lot, I think I could be brezina’s heir.

Maxim KOVTUN: he got the job done. Beautiful combo, messy 4s but overall good performance

Michal BREZINA: what did I tell you? He would have messed with my predictions and he did. He could'nt be clean :noshake:

Kevin AYMOZ: finally he’s got (almost) the score he deserves! :hap10: i can't wait for his beautiful lp.

Daniel GRASSL: my baby! Nerves got him but he was great. that 4lo…:hap57:

Matteo RIZZO: lovely as usual and he is behind Daniel by a hair (poor matteo this must be a curse)

Alexei BYCHENKO: finally back on track! I’m so happy to see him well

Mikhail KOLYADA: finally he nailed it! 100 + of happiness! :dance3:

Javier FERNANDEZ: he is far from his top form, clearly, but he is still great (and I’m not thinking with the brain between my ears :biggrin:)

AJVMSA8588

On the Ice
Samarin's 4Lz-3T was just :jaw: Could have gotten straight +5 by judges if the skater's name had been a Yuzuru//Javi/Nathan... His air position in jumps reminds me of Plushenko. Quality jumps, I agree but not much to mention the rest of the program, though... Very very nice to see Kovtun now doesn't throw away the performance even after a mistake on jump. He did try to sell the program. :)

I know Samarin is almost a villian by folks here, I enjoy his posture and I thought his camel spins are gorgeous!

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Wow, such a great short.

Aymoz and Kolyada were easily the highlights for me.

So happy about the italian skaters. Daniel have suffered a bit of nerves on the beginning, but that loop... :eek:
Matteo have fight and well recovered the combo, at last. I hope the 4T will be there, in the free.

Very convincing performances also from Siao Him Fa and Litvintsev, that along with Rizzo i think deserved a couple more of PCS.

Also very strong performance by Daniel Grassl, which btw looks very young.
Well... it is very young. If you listen to him talk, it seem even younger than that :biggrin:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I know Samarin is almost a villian by folks here, I enjoy his posture and I thought his camel spins are gorgeous!
Don't get the Samarin hate. He is a nice guy, dedicated and a very hard worker. All the flack Kovtun got for being into cars, pretty girls and rap instead of figure skating is not even remotely applicable to him. Things do not fall into his lap and he doesn't sit around and wait for a CSKA boost. If he has problems in the PCS department it's not because he refuses to work on them. Blame his coaches, the CSKA training system, lack of natural ability, but if Samarin is told to train something something he'll do it till he drops.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Kevin should have given the Ashley Wagner stare toward his score. It was a still a great score (SB too!), but that PE performance mark really should have been higher. Sure, it's a subjective mark, but it was an impressive performance that was under-rewarded. I have no problem with our favorites (or our judges' favorites) receiving high scores, but only if they skated well in that specific competition and earned it -- and not from reputation.

Nonetheless, that was an exciting performance from him (and what a skate from Kolyada too!) and I wish them all the best in the free!

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
That was so funny, those 2 women fighting over who was going to throw the giant bear! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

The giant dog ending off ice was on purpose since we had 2 giant cameras in front of us... but we had great fun trying to throw haha not a fight at all :D
Im glad you were entertained :love: so were we :laugh::laugh::laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The giant dog ending off ice was on purpose since we had 2 giant cameras in front of us... but we had great fun trying to throw haha not a fight at all :D
Im glad you were entertained :love: so were we :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Awww cool! I didn't realise that we were watching one of our own!

I'm relieved to hear that it wasn't an argument.

And sorry for mis-identifying the species of giant cuddly toy :eek::

You know, I've often wondered whether the cameras cause any major obstruction to the spectators. Thanks to you and your friend, we saw the effects they were having on the ability to throw cuddly toys onto the ice. But, were there any problems with them blocking your view of the skating?

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the event!

CaroLiza_fan

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm okay, too, Misha broke 100 and placing 1st, and I do understand why Javi and Misha are miles ahead of the others re skating skills. However, I have a say to judges tonight that Kevin lost on PCS to the likes of Misha and Samarin, esp on PE/CO/IN . :angry2: It's just 'not right'. Kevin should have been rewarded the best PCS of the night. :frown:

I too was surprised Javi got < call on his 4sal.
Samarin's 4Lz-3T was just :jaw: Could have gotten straight +5 by judges if the skater's name had been a Yuzuru//Javi/Nathan... His air position in jumps reminds me of Plushenko. Quality jumps, I agree but not much to mention the rest of the program, though... Very very nice to see Kovtun now doesn't throw away the performance even after a mistake on jump. He did try to sell the program. :)

Totally agree. I think Samarin's 4Lz-3T was the best jump I've seen in a long time. Even better than Mikhail's 4Lz at CoC 2017. It was just WOW. I don't care if people don't like the guy, heck, I'm not the biggest fan of him either but nobody can deny that this was World Class, the highest quality and should have gotten +5 all around, yes, yes. PCS is another matter.

viennaskater

Medalist
I am glad I watched this from the beginning because there were some surprises early on performance-wise, namely:

Aleksandr Selevko (EST)
Vladimir Litvintsev (AZE)
Matyas Belohradsky (CZE)

All great performances, confidently presented, with innovative/appropriate music choices from new faces!

A little later on there were:

Adam Siao Him Fa (FRA)
Daniel Grassl (ITA)
Daniel Samohin (ISR)

All absolutely superb!

As for Kevin Aymoz, I loved him last season and I am loving him now! I shouted and applauded! What great choreography and power! Go France! All French skaters are SO interesting to watch!

Good to see Javi again, too. Magical to watch, as always.

On the down side, I was a little sad for Michal Brezina after his great Grand Prix.

Don't really know what Kovtun is doing there, should have picked Aliev instead.

Kolyada excellent but Mikhail, can't you raise a smile? It's not that hard. You used to do it a lot. He looks like he doesn't want to be there. I'm fed up seeing his miserable face.

One of the great things about watching figure skating is when you feel you are sharing the skater's happiness out there on the ice.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Still puzzled over Javi's score, my wild guess is that the judges sent him a message that one cannot skip the first half of the season, train for just 2 weeks and then land at the major comp with 2 old programs in a bid to win the 7th title?

tureis

On the Ice
Still puzzled over Javi's score, my wild guess is that the judges sent him a message that one cannot skip the first half of the season, train for just 2 weeks and then land at the major comp with 2 old programs in a bid to win the 7th title?

That was my takeaway too. And if that's the case, they could have sent Javi a message beforehand that he shouldn't bother. Javi deserves better after everything he has given to this sport.

I was sitting directly in line with his 4S right behind the tech panel and the jump did not look underrotated at all. I was too busy being overwhelmed with relief and joy that he did OK, so I didn't watch the elements they were reviewing on their screens.

But here's the thing. I can't recall any skater having a go at the judges the way Javi did yesterday. Given how diplomatic he always is, including and especially about the Olympics result which he could have debated but chose not to, Javi comes off as the type of person who would not be this outspoken unless he is absolutely sure about himself in saying that he looked at the mark on the ice and it was clean.

I hope he can channel that anger into a great FS and be able to leave with no regrets or bad feelings, whatever the result.

Tutto

Record Breaker
That was my takeaway too. And if that's the case, they could have sent Javi a message beforehand that he shouldn't bother. Javi deserves better after everything he has given to this sport.

I was sitting directly in line with his 4S right behind the tech panel and the jump did not look underrotated at all. I was too busy being overwhelmed with relief and joy that he did OK, so I didn't watch the elements they were reviewing on their screens.

But here's the thing. I can't recall any skater having a go at the judges the way Javi did yesterday. Given how diplomatic he always is, including and especially about the Olympics result which he could have debated but chose not to, Javi comes off as the type of person who would not be this outspoken unless he is absolutely sure about himself in saying that he looked at the mark on the ice and it was clean.

I hope he can channel that anger into a great FS and be able to leave with no regrets or bad feelings, whatever the result.

No expert myself but I watched it on British Eurosport and the guys marked both quads as UR though thought he would get away with it

deedee1

Record Breaker

:thumbsup: Traditionally camel spins by Russian boys in general is the best in the business; Yagudin, Plushenko, Sasha Abt, ect., nowadays Kolyada and Samarin. :cool: I'm no expert but for me their camel position is always to die for, thus I wonder WHY not many skaters can hit that position, too.