2019 Skate Canada Day 2: Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

2019 Skate Canada Day 2: Thoughts and Highlights

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well Done Kelowna

Kelowna BC is not a very big town, but it's a beautiful part of the BC landscape and is known for it's wine, tourist attractions and of course the famous Ogopogo legend in Okanagan Lake. Many people retire in Kelowna. I'm sure hosting Skate Canada did a lot for Kelowna's economy, especially thanks to the large Japanese contingent there to see their favorite Japanese skaters compete! Kelowna did host Skate Canada in 2014, so I'm sure they were thrilled to host once again, it looked like a real success for the small community. Way to go Kelowna!
:points:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Amazing audience! :)
Decent organisation (with clearing the Pooh bears especially) and I saw the men's medal ceremony which looked great!

Arbitrary

Medalist
Visited BC two months ago, very-very beautiful place. And Kelowna too. It wa rainly day but not ruined anything.

sweetener

Rinkside
Medo's comeback after that short program (shame the field was so stacked, she would have gotten a bronze in SkAm), You Young holding her ground and staying on the podium, Gilles/Poirier at the kiss and cry, Trusova breaking two world records and executing three quads well, Rika still getting 230+ despite being lutz-less, Fear/Gibson medalling, Nam and Keiji medalling, Yuzuru (I have no words).

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Thoughts (Very long, sorry! Didn't realise how much I had to say! :laugh:)

Pairs:
The Biggest Loser in the Pairs section: side-by-side jumps.
In the free, only 2 pairs executed their planned jumps cleanly. Other than Aleksandra and Dmitri, Feiyao and Yongchao were the only ones to land both sets of sbs jumps and although they opted for an easier combo than many (2A+2T combo), they were able to perform them cleanly.
I know some people don’t see the sbs jumps as that important in a pairs program (and value-wise they probably aren’t) but it’s such a shame when most of the field don’t land them as it can disrupt the flow of the program. I do wonder if it would be better for some of the pairs to consider down-grading the sbs jumps if they are not consistent, several teams have proved it is possible to medal with less difficult sbs and the difficulty values between the jumps are not always very large (eg: 2A+2T is 4.60, 3T+2T is 5.50 so 0.9 difference, difficulty value does increase more sharply with the second 2T on the 3T+2T+2T: 6.80, so 1.30 difference). But, if it’s going to be 50/50 on one of the skaters landing the opening 3T in the combo, it might be safer to go with the other option. I guess the question is: is it better to attempt a more difficult sbs jump, potential miss it/get -GOE, or an easier, less highly-valued jump, land it and hope to get GOE in the +2s or above? To me, it’s more impressive when a pair can land a 3T+2T+2T or similar combo, but I’d rather not see pairs turn into a splat-fest because sbs jumps aren’t being landed.

Apologies for the long tangent, probably a bit off-topic, back to my thoughts:

• Aleksandra and Dmitri were fantastic, I liked both their short and free program, and especially loved the way they held their edges coming out of the sbs 3S, as if to say ‘look we can land our jumps!’ I think James Bond really works for them and hope they may continue to be clean and consistent for the rest of the season. Also, they were very funny at the victory ceremony!
  • I also really enjoyed Kirsten and Michael’s free (aside from the sbs jump issues), they do so well with the soft, lyrical programs so I’m glad they’ve stuck to a style they know they can achieve success with. His lift posture is getting better, but could still be improved. Congrats to them for their first GP Silver as a pair.
  • I wasn’t expecting to enjoy Evgenia and Vladimir’s free, but I did! I think they could really make it work for them, if they can get it clean. The music is different and I think it works for them, even though they still aren’t really emoting; maybe later in the season (I think this is only their 2nd or 3rd competition) the elements will be more secure and they’ll be able to interpret the music more. I really didn’t expect them to botch a lift, and hope they’re both okay, as I don’t remember lifts usually being a problem for them. With Aleksandra and Dmitri (as well as Daria and Denis last weekend) performing well, I think they’re going to have to fight to maintain their no.1 status in Russia. However, they’ve fought back before, have many successes behind them and have experience on their side, so I don’t think anyone can count them out just yet!
  • I didn’t like the Alexa and Chris’ short particularly but did like the free. The beginning of the free looked a little clunky, but I’m sure will get slicker with practise, and they have a very obvious ‘catching their breath’ moment in the middle but the twist was fantastic (as per usual) and their throws looked huge, both WOW moments for me (especially once both throws are clean)!
  • I enjoyed the performance of Feiyao and Yongchao they seem to have quality elements and the promise to be a solid team. A shame about the aborted lift, but at least he got her down very safely. It was nice to see them begin to emote more and have more speed in the second half, especially as the audience really seemed supportive of them. Hopefully this performance will give them confidence and they can get it clean at their next outing.
  • Lubov and Charlie look like they are having a great time skating together, she radiates so much happiness on the ice which is wonderful to see, and their final lift is jaw-dropping spectacular!
  • Jessica and Brian are very classy skaters, and have a great twist, if they can get more consistent, I think they’re definitely poised to rise up the ranks.
  • I think Evelyn and Trennt would perform better to more powerful, less lyrical music in the free, their rock short program last year really brought their personalities out!
Dance:
  • Congratulations to Piper and Paul for their first GP Gold! Two fantastic performances! Their free dance is lovely and seemed to flow so well across the ice and their rhythm dance was fun and well-executed.
  • I’m guessing Madi and Zach were probably disappointed with the Silver but at least they’ve guaranteed themselves a place in the GPF, so job done? I don’t dislike their free as much as some people seem to, but don’t have strongly positive feeling towards it either. For me, it’s okay, but it doesn’t stand out compared to the free dances of other teams. I don’t like the music for the first portion of the rhythm dance, but the actual skating/performance is good. Again, not particularly stand-out, aside from the odd music choice…
  • Nice to see Lilah and Lewis grab their first GP medal, their free dance is definitely fun and innovative! Personally, I had hoped Kaitlin and Jean-Luc would be on the podium but agree that Lilah and Lewis deserved it here.
  • I think Kaitlin and Jean-Luc’s free has potential but, as someone said in the Ice Dance competition thread (apologies, cannot remember who it was!), at the moment the concept isn’t clear, so I hope they can make the whole thing more cohesive so they can fight to be on the podium later in the season!
  • I’m not sure I understood their costumes in the rhythm dance but enjoyed Sara and Kirill’s free dance as a kind-of modern take on flamenco.
  • Of the two Bohemian Rhapsody programs, although Majorie and Zachary scored higher and were technically probably stronger, I thought Betina and Sergey’s program captured the rock vibe of the song more and was more enjoyable. I also thought Betina and Sergey should’ve beaten Caroline and Michael in the overall placement, as they were, in my opinion, under-rewarded in the rhythm dance, despite being the only couple to achieve YYYY in the pattern.
  • Caroline and Michael have strong technique, and she is holding her own in the senior ranks, but neither of their programs really grabs me or makes me want to go back and watch them again. However, kudos to them for two solid GP showings, I hope they go on making steady improvements because they have promise!

evasorange

Final Flight
“Women’s” skating is officially broken. A child doing a jumping drill set to music is apparently the pinnacle of what isu is looking for. Cool cool cool. These new Russian juniors make Bradie look like Carolina Kostner. No shade to Bradie, she really has improved.

Really happy for Nam, I can’t even imagine how overwhelming it must be skate after Yuzu when he’s on like that but instead of letting it get to him he took that crazy energy and fed off it to create his own magic moment. A second place that probably feels like first lol

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Alexandra... WOW! just WOW! :love:
incredible, amazing, otherworldly. :clap:
She's in the league of her own!
Oh my god, her performance gave me chills, and it's not the last time I believe! :agree:
Absolute highlight of the event :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Concerned for Gabby Daleman. Her FS was a disaster, and she seemed so happy and bubbly about it. Such a disconnect from reality is worrisome.

LuvIce

Rinkside
“A child doing a jumping drill set to music”.... omg, so true. That’s exactly what it looks like. Her Program Components score is mind boggling. Shame on the judges.

“Women’s skating is officially broken”
Shame on the ISU

Heart wrenching.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
“Women’s” skating is officially broken. A child doing a jumping drill set to music is apparently the pinnacle of what isu is looking for. Cool cool cool. These new Russian juniors make Bradie look like Carolina Kostner. No shade to Bradie, she really has improved.

Really happy for Nam, I can’t even imagine how overwhelming it must be skate after Yuzu when he’s on like that but instead of letting it get to him he took that crazy energy and fed off it to create his own magic moment. A second place that probably feels like first lol

New Russian juniors: have you seen Alena skate? And Anna has the best musicality of anyone. People hating are jealous they can’t do it. They are pushing the sport forward, others will catch up eventually.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It was amazing! Okay, so, first time and everything, but I was exploding with happiness, and omg, I was so nearly overwhelmed.

My best memory was Trusova landing three quads after falling on the first one, Drakarys indeed! That monstrous score, that determination! Kihira’s skate was very pretty as well, and Young You coming in third was so nice, she was in the game from the first moment on! Tennell was really cool live as well.

I loved Nguyen closing the show with that triumphant skate so much. Yes, Yuzuru is perfection on skates, but omg, that roof coming down for Nam, and him giving the magnificent skate, gosh, it was special. From all the other men, I loved Tanaka’s skate very much. Sad to see Rizzio not doing well so far, really sad, but I hope his day will come later this season. Not sure what to say about Lazukin, he sort of looks like he might have something one moment, then he goes back to that tortured state inside him and there is no going back.

In pairs, I thought I was gonna cry when Morozov missed that lift, and the Tower-Mooor-Marinaro made their mistake... it’s just was going so well... but I have nothing but wow for Boikova-Kozlovskiy, they were working for it so hard.

Overall, amazing, amazing, amazing experience.

Silver Ice

On the Ice
Concerned for Gabby Daleman. Her FS was a disaster, and she seemed so happy and bubbly about it. Such a disconnect from reality is worrisome.

When she was talking to her coach it sounded like she was pointing out some of the positives, and said something like she could feel herself on her way back. It didn't sound like a disconnect from reality to me, but that she didn't even expect to do that well and is still regaining her footing. I thought it sounded positive.

DonnaR

On the Ice

She was injured in a collision with another skater back in April and suffered a concussion as well as a couple of broken ribs and was very badly bruised. I believe she has only been back on the ice for about a month (due to the concussion) so she knew her limitations going into the competition. I was pleased to see that she was realistic about her performances.

There were a number of highlights for me:
Piper and Paul - I loved both their programs and thought they should have been in first after the short dance. So happy to see them win gold!
Marin Honda - it was great to see her fight back and have a great performance in the free after being in a car accident
Rika - She is a joy to watch even with the error in her free program
Kristen & Michael - I think they have 2 great programs this year and look forward to when the free is performed without mistakes
Nam - He has 2 great vehicles this year that really suit his personality. He took the energy from the crowd and skated lights out during his free program
Young You - first time I've seen her and she didn't disappoint
Lubov and Charlie - they both skate with such joy and those lifts! I can't wait to see how they progress over the season
Alexa and Chris - I really like their long program, it suits them very well
Aleksandra and Dmitrii - deservedly in first with 2 great performances
Lilah and Lewis - wow, just love this team and so happy to see them on the podium
Evgenia - great to see her fight back in the long after the issues in the short program
Kaitlin & Jean-Luc - I loved their short dance but they kind of lost me with the free dance

ruga

Final Flight
A few highlights (from singles only as I haven't found time to watch everything)
- Yuzuru doing what Yuzuru does
- Nam had such positive energy, loved that :)
- Deniss had another weird costume but I'll take it over another boring suit on any day
- Sasha also did what Sasha was supposed to do. One can criticise some aspects of her skating, but she isn't 'ruining' the sport, the same way Nathan Chen or Boyang Jin or any other male skater aren't
- Rika was very cool! Even without lutzes. Hope she shows her best at NHK! With full content she could very high scores.
- You becomes a new Korean sensation. If she isn't given a second spot I will literally cry.
- Too bad about Medvedeva. Two very uncharacteristic mistakes in SP and her chances of GPF are basically gone.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She was injured in a collision with another skater back in April and suffered a concussion as well as a couple of broken ribs and was very badly bruised. I believe she has only been back on the ice for about a month (due to the concussion) so she knew her limitations going into the competition. I was pleased to see that she was realistic about her performances.

I was concerned for Gabby because her coach was listening to what she was saying and he seemed to be worried.
And since she was in recovery from concussion, those three falls had to be concerning as well.

Good or bad I have stopped watching Pairs and Dance completely. So, I can only talk about Men and Ladies.

Men
OK, everyone go home :biggrin: Well, my avatar says all, I'm over the moon. He was, is and will be phenomenal. You ask till when? Who knows but the R word does not seem to happen in near future and it's all in benefit of the sport. So, long live the King or as ISU announced unreservedly the GOAT: https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/1188300830350274560.

I also loved the music choice and choreography of Deniss' FS, I hope he can overcome this habit of popping the jumps. It's a shame that Camden can't carry his success in SP to FS, maybe he becomes better with experience.

Ladies
My beloved Evgenia fought back in FS. I'm sure she will have a much better outcome in her second competition.
I adore Rika but I really don't see a chance for her against Sasha and Anna if she does not include some harder combination. That 2A+2T+2L looks like a joke for a skater in her caliber and in this field of competitors. She is the full package and she can do much better than this.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Hmm, the same as last season, I like SC :biggrin: I'm not caught up on the men yet so will add that later, and since I'm in a good mood only positive things! Shock and awe!

ID

- Piper's reaction to that score was what I was doing while muffling my screams with my pillow. And they totally deserved it, not just because Piper and Paul were always... ahem, considered less favorable to the judges even with stellar programs. The FD I saw was not what I saw at ACI, it was something way more sensitive, emotional, and collected. I was swept into their movements, the emotions, the feeling of it all. I even forgive the costumes, Paul just needs better trousers.
- Disco Brits got on podium! Their FD is totally Vogue :dance3:, so much fun and excitement (along with probably the best slide of the season, they're winning that category for two seasons straight)
- I was surprised to find myself enjoying Hawayek/Baker's Marie Antoinette Victorian Beethoven flamenco, while I don't get the story still (like Marie Antoinette Victorian Beethoven is a very confusing tale) I had fun with it.
- Hubbell/Donohue are strong skaters and their FD does showcase that, I agree with WA's verdict that they need less Alibi and more Shallow. Shallow is a very powerful song, they are not utilizing the drama of it fully yet.
- Popova/Mozgov's last lift is cool. It just is. Period.

Ladies

- Such nice senior GP debuts for my girls, staying up the whole night twice in a row was very much worth it. Both composed themselves very well after hard falls and delivered the rest, and Young got a medal! :hap10:
- Zhenya :luv17: What a redemption skate, she shows what she's made of again.
- Kihira Rika unfortunately had a mistake with her first 3A to challenge for gold, but that was a very, very solid silver. And she's selling her programs quite well even with an injury, hats off.
- Speaking of injuries, Marin was clean(ish) with her FS and was a delight to watch, and it was La La Land (those who know me will know La La Land is on the top of my list for automatic mute). Never mind the watered-down content, she was in a car accident days ago and her leg was bandaged. And it was so, so nice to see her go clean at last
- Okay, I'll make this one short: my congratulations to Sasha Trusova's first senior GP gold and a new WR.
- Bradie Tennell is still going strong, great season for her so far.

Pairs

- I'm still mad at myself for missing Sasha and Mitya winning the short AND the free :bang: I'm coming around Mitya's costume and Sasha's grey dress is to die for, and their skate was just as gorgeous. And after the Kozlovskii Fistpump™ now there's the Kozlovskii Raised Finger™ :laugh: Oh, and everybody go watch their medal ceremony, it's adorable.
- M-T/M had a good skate (just missing SBS jumps) and an enjoyable program. It does seem like soft, lyrical programs are their thing, which is great because I like soft, lyrical music :p
- T/M were messy, but I still do like their FS. It's different yet fitting, if only they could get it clean they'll have one mighty fine short and one good free
- THe Knierims did not survive their SBS jumps (sigh) but their Experience FS is lovely, and I want her dress
- Tang/Yang are still ones to keep an eye out for, botched lift or no.
- I/B had some fantastic moments with their lifts, like wow

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Trusova is one tough competitor...just keep doing what you're doing Sasha and ignore the negativety

cake

On the Ice
Good to see there was so much movement in the ice dance standings. I´m over the moon about Gilles/Poirier. Also happy Fear/Gibson had a breakthrough. Nailing their RD, which was a bit of weakness before, contributed a lot.
In mens I really enjoyed Nam bringing down the house and of course Hanyu.
I was impressed how much the audience supported Medvedeva.