2019 Worlds: Men's Pregame Chat | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019 Worlds: Men's Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

century2009

On the Ice
You don't think any of these fans are there in support of Uno? That's a pity. He's more than earned their support.

As you heard from some people here, no one cares about him or other skaters here. Some people are even wondering why he is even here.

They dont have any respect for them because they dont matter in this competition as they have stated.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As you heard from some people here, no one cares about him or other skaters here. Some people are even wondering why he is even here.

They dont have any respect for them because they dont matter in this competition as they have stated.

I have a lot of respect for the men’s field including Shoma (seeing him skate his free skate so well at 4CC was amazing). Nathan and Shoma are both deemed the top contenders to win. Both have received considerable television coverage, along with Yuzu.

But again that is separate from Yuzu’s popularity and fan base and what effect it had on practice attendance.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Did you take attendance? I mean come on. Have some respect for other skaters. Go to the fan thread for that.

The audience would be there even if Hanyu was NOT there. This is the World Championship and the biggest event of the year for figure skating whether Hanyu is there or not the audience would still be pack watching the different skaters on the biggest stage of the year for figure skating.

Yes, attendance was taken. Just look at the difference in attendance between yesterday's men's practice and today's men's practice. Numbers speak for themselves, especially an increase of such magnitude.

century2009

On the Ice
I have a lot of respect for the men’s field including Shoma (seeing him skate his free skate so well at 4CC was amazing). Nathan and Shoma are both deemed the top contenders to win.

But again that is separate from Yuzu’s popularity and fan base and what effect it had on practice attendance.

This is the LARGEST event of the year for figure skating. Whether one skater is there or not, there will still be a lot of people watching like all previous years.

They are coming from all walks of life - old, young, girl, boy, fan, with friends, etc. It is the World Champions were HUNDREDS of skaters come to compete (the LARGEST number for the year in 1 competition) and they have all different kinds of fans to support all kinds of skaters from around the World coming together in 1 place.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is the LARGEST event of the year for figure skating. Whether one skater is there or not, there will still be a lot of people watching like all previous years.

They are coming from all walks of life - old, young, girl, boy, fan, with friends, etc. It is the World Champions were HUNDREDS of skaters come to compete (the LARGEST number for the year in 1 competition) and they have all different kinds of fans to support all kinds of skaters from around the World coming together in 1 place.

Okay and a lot of folks are there to support Yuzu. I don’t see why that’s worth getting salty over.

I do think he had a positive affect on the energy and overall feel for the place.

Let me put it this way, I’ve attended Worlds in Boston. It was very apparent to me having Yuzu there made a huge difference in the overall atmosphere. Should people appreciate other skaters. Of course. But not everyone does.

Last edited:

century2009

On the Ice
Yes, attendance was taken. Just look at the difference in attendance between yesterday's men's practice and today's men's practice. Numbers speak for themselves, especially an increase of such magnitude.

Obviously, you would have more people today compared to yesterday as every is coming from different places from around the World.

You understand the people are just coming in as have different flights and different schedule, different work, different obligations, and different needs with maybe kids.

I would come in on Tuesday as well because have a family that need to deal with the different obligations.

There were coaches there and other skaters that couldnt make it on Monday. Eveyone has different lives and planing what works for them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay I put my money where my mouth is. I will say flat out that probably only like .002 percent of the audience was at practice for Jason, who is one of my faves.

Is it disrespectful to Jason and me, his fan, to say that probably a larger portion of the practice audience was there for Yuzu? To me, it’s not.

Anyway, I’m moving on. I’m honestly really excited to see this men’s field and think we’re in for a a roller coaster ride. I felt like my blood pressure went way up during junior worlds and expect much of the same for the senior men!

Last edited:
Country
Russia
Men in order of season best.
In () - other best only if no ISU season best.
1 Yuzuru HANYU JPN 297.12
2 Shoma UNO JPN 289.12
3 Nathan CHEN USA 282.42
4 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 274.37
5 Boyang JIN CHN 273.51
6 Vincent ZHOU USA 272.22
7 Alexander SAMARIN RUS 269.84
8 Keegan MESSING CAN 267.61
9 Junhwan CHA KOR 263.49
10 Jason BROWN USA 263.42
11 Michal BREZINA CZE 257.98
12 Keiji TANAKA JPN 251.54
13 Morisi KVITELASHVILI GEO 248.58
14 Matteo RIZZO ITA 247.08
15 Kevin AYMOZ FRA 246.34
16 Andrei LAZUKIN RUS 243.45
17 Nam NGUYEN CAN 240.94
18 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR 230.54
19 Alexander MAJOROV SWE 227.47
20 Brendan KERRY AUS 224.44
21 Deniss VASILJEVS LAT 221.26
22 Paul FENTZ GER 220.57
23 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR 220.50
24 Slavik HAYRAPETYAN ARM 209.58
25 Julian Zhi Jie YEE MAS 207.51
26 Lukas BRITSCHGI SUI 206.76
27 Vladimir LITVINTSEV AZE 204.28
28 Luc MAIERHOFER AUT 198.29
29 Peter James HALLAM GBR (196.67)
30 Aleksandr SELEVKO EST 195.13
31 Ivan SHMURATKO UKR 191.32
32 Valtter VIRTANEN FIN 180.96
33 Donovan CARRILLO MEX 174.70
34 Burak DEMIRBOGA TUR 170.62
35 Igor REZNICHENKO POL 160.51

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks Alex for the stats!!! There is so much parity in this field it’s insane and so tough to make predictions (which is why I’m not making any. :laugh:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am not a Yuzu fan, but can't deny that most of those fans, reporters, photographers, etc - were there for him.

But I think at least a few fans were there specifically for Nathan:biggrin: - and the other skaters.

As I said .002 for Jason. ;)

Obviously not a man, but Zhenya and Alina have a pretty strong fan base in Japan based on the amount of media there during their practices. Nathan has plenty of fans supporting him there. Nobody need not worry.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Obviously, you would have more people today compared to yesterday as every is coming from different places from around the World.

You understand the people are just coming in as have different flights and different schedule, different work, different obligations, and different needs with maybe kids.

I would come in on Tuesday as well because have a family that need to deal with the different obligations.

There were coaches there and other skaters that couldnt make it on Monday. Eveyone has different lives and planing what works for them.

That doesn't account for several thousand ppl difference in attendance over one day, especially with live reports that audience started ditching the practice yesterday because Hanyu didnt show up.

Thou doth protest too much. The amount of mental gymnastics you're doing to downplay Hanyu's effect on attendance of Worlds, in Japan no less, would put acrobats to shame.

Laughable.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Who has all this information? Were audiences given a questionnaire before entering the arena? Please be realistic.

I am trying to say this in the most respectful way possible. I'm a Nathan fan too - please don't give us the reputation of being argumentative. You are repeating the same thing over and over again.

Cheering on Yuzu and Shoma, too! Hope they go 1-2-3 as expected.

I'm sure century2009 was being sarcastic. I, at least, just had a good laugh while reading it and recommend everybody to take a chill pill. We are certainly in for a treat at these Worlds, let's enjoy it!

...I thought this was a chat for worlds not some high school drama, why are we comparing popularities?

yude

Record Breaker
While I’m sure fans were there for other skaters I don’t think it’s inaccurate to say that Yuzu is a big draw, especially in Japan.

Thank you, that was what I meant.

I didn't think it was going to be this big deal in this thread, I am sorry if my post was the trigger.

It's Wednesday morning here already, today men has practice in PR and SP draw in the evening (while ladies are competing).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
...I thought this was a chat for worlds not some high school drama, why are we comparing popularities?

Being voted Teen Heart-throb is almost as important as winning Sparkliest Costume or Best Hair.

alexaa

Final Flight
Nathan is still coughing, not totally recovered from his cold.

Hope all skaters are in good form and deliver good performances tomorrow.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Things I am looking forward to:

Shoma's STH steps
Yuzuru's otonal steps
Boyang's quad lutz
Nathan's caravan
A waterfall of Pooh bears from one section
Seeing Shoma and coach Mihoko in the KnC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.