2019 Worlds: Men's Pregame Chat | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 Worlds: Men's Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Entering a different issue: will Nathan do a loop (triple or quadruple)? I love the loop jump, and last time I saw Nathan had not a one in his programmes. I know, hardly a point in the outcome (a quad lutz is of course very spectacular) but I do like it when all acknowledged jumps ar executed. Whether triple or quadruple. I love the triple loop triple loop combi which we don't see very often, but a quadraple loop would be so cool (I think only Daniel Grassl does it, slightly UR, but still). Yuzu did it once, but I'm not so sure he'll be able to at Worlds. Hoping!

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I know Hanyu can get his quads back with a week and peak at the competition with 6 weeks, but I always keep my expectations low for him and that is what I've been doing for the past 7 years :biggrin: But it is not like I will stop trying to be positive though.

He said "Performing with 4A in complete packaged program" is his goal for the next season, and I don't think it will change whatever the outcome of WC is. I hope he'll be able to be healthy this year.

I don't know how being positive and optimistic can be a bad karma. I always prefer to have my expectation low but if someone can make come back it will be him. Will I be sad if he loses gold? of course I will. Will it be end of of the world? of course not. He has nothing to prove any more and after Olympics I take each of his competitive appearance as bonus , being incredibly grateful because he still has a lot to offer to this sport. After all it is a great feeling when your favorite accomplished all and beyond your expectations, suddenly pressure is gone and a wish to see him overweights medal expectations (ofc I am speaking for myself) But again, if judging will be fair and Yuzu is clean with 2 types of quads and 2 axels, he will win simply because of sheer quality of his elements. If he loses due to his bad showing, thats not a catastrophe , his aim is axel with all round package, so we'll wait for next season and pray for his health :)

eaglehelang

Final Flight
If you repeat the 3A doesn't it follow that you can't repeat any other triple (assuming the skater is already repeating a quad)? Isn't the reason very few men are repeating the 3A because they'd rather repeat the 3T since they can tack it on to a quad?

The other men who dont repeat 3A cos they are not very good in 3A, so they repeat another triple they are better at.
Yuzuru can do his 2015 layout :
4S, 4T, 3F, 4T+3T, 3A+2T, 3A+1Eu+3S, 3Loop, 3Lutz. He can ditch one of his solo triple jumps to make it 7 jumps.

Shoma's WR Long Program at 2019 4CC only had 3 quads, all quads in 1st half. It scored higher than his usual 4 quad LP cos Shoma's 4S always got called UR.

century2009

On the Ice
I dont think Yuzuru would go for Lutz jumps given the injury. It is more likely he is training for the 4L if he can to be competitive among Shoma and Nathan.

Shoma is probably bringing back the 4S and trying to put that in with 2 Axel.

Nathan is probably trying to bring back the 4S. I dont see the 4L this season, maybe next season.

It is an exciting battle among the 3, but probably will go down to who is clean.

---------

It is interesting that the new rule is actually affecting the lower-tier skaters and the other top guys who only have 2 quads.

Because with the quad limit rule, it limits the lower tier skaters with only 2 quads from challenging the top skaters. So it feels like now the new rule has created more of a division based on the number of quads you have.

Someone like Kolyada cannot challenge the top guy with tech unless adds more quads.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Both Aleksander Sevelko and Daniel-Albert Naurits of Estonia got the free skate TES they needed in Tallin.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It is Kotvub, Samarin, and Kolyada for Worlds.
I agree that's who I'd send. None of the guys below them have a credible case to displace Kovtun or Kolyada at this point, and with the latter, especially, you can at least hope that he'll have a strong short program and then cling onto a Top 10 space by the fingernails. And if by chance he really shows up, he's a podium contender.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
6 deduction points! :( I hope his hands are ok, he seemed to land on them quite a lot.

I'll be nervous every time music from Carmen starts up.

Let's hope that they get to keep 3 spots. They could have a really good day and all 3 of them end up in the top 12!

malya

On the Ice
I'm very traumatized by Carmen at this point. Misha, Alina and Kovtun had complete breakdowns on Carmen and Gabby (who is a big question mark) will have a Carmen SP as well.

W/e I think Misha will surprise and still do very well here, he has everything that's needed this season. 4th place behind Yuzu, Nathan and Shoma, I'm calling it. Maybe even a medal if one of the 3 has major problems.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
W/e I think Misha will surprise and still do very well here, he has everything that's needed this season. 4th place behind Yuzu, Nathan and Shoma, I'm calling it. Maybe even a medal if one of the 3 has major problems.

You are a brave person. He only has the one type of quad this season, and Jin has 3. I'm not sure Kolyada could control his own destiny for a top 4 finish even with a clean skate. But it's the men and everyone behind the top three has demonstrated ups & downs. Plus, Shoma & Hanyu's injury issues. (Without that flip during the SP at 4CCs, Shoma was finding himself facing the reality of how perfect you have to be in the men's field with only the one quad). So I won't say it's impossible that Kolyada could finish top 4 because it's not. The men are full of unpredictability.

discode

Final Flight
I'm just wonder if the top three guys will actually go 1,2,3 with no drama (I mean there will be drama of course lol) or someone else slips in. I could see Boyang as the spoiler there.

I also can't imagine Yuzu not doing 4 quads in his FS. I'm not sure he's going to rely on the quality of his elements doing it for him.

Carmen is just cursed. Stop skating to it. She doesn't like it. :dev2:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Entering a different issue: will Nathan do a loop (triple or quadruple)? I love the loop jump, and last time I saw Nathan had not a one in his programmes. I know, hardly a point in the outcome (a quad lutz is of course very spectacular) but I do like it when all acknowledged jumps ar executed. Whether triple or quadruple. I love the triple loop triple loop combi which we don't see very often, but a quadraple loop would be so cool (I think only Daniel Grassl does it, slightly UR, but still). Yuzu did it once, but I'm not so sure he'll be able to at Worlds. Hoping!

I'm a fan of the loop jump, too. It's a casualty of the reduced jumping pass rule.

malya

On the Ice
You are a brave person. He only has the one type of quad this season, and Jin has 3. I'm not sure Kolyada could control his own destiny for a top 4 finish even with a clean skate. But it's the men and everyone behind the top three has demonstrated ups & downs. Plus, Shoma & Hanyu's injury issues. (Without that flip during the SP at 4CCs, Shoma was finding himself facing the reality of how perfect you have to be in the men's field with only the one quad). So I won't say it's impossible that Kolyada could finish top 4 because it's not. The men are full of unpredictability.

Oh right, Boyang is also strong a contender for 4/5 if everybody skates to their maximum. I would say his programs at 4CC were still rather empty to justify any big PCS raise (or should be, so who knows) and Misha has a good PCS cushion. +5 system also really fits him - realistically maybe his BV is just to low with only the 4T a 4S that he logically should just drop at this point and now a 3F (that deserves a call *cough*).

Well like with most men: If he lands his jumps he is up there. It might be a bit less likely for Misha than let's say Yuzu but I will never lose hope :p

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Really not much room for Nathan to do a loop. He did 3lo at SA and IdF though. But if he does 5 quads and one 3A, there’s only one jumping pass left.

I’m not sure how Misha inspires confidence with his most recent FS ...

malya

On the Ice
Really not much room for Nathan to do a loop. He did 3lo at SA and IdF though. But if he does 5 quads and one 3A, there’s only one jumping pass left.

I’m not sure how Misha inspires confidence with his most recent FS ...

Not confidence, just not losing hope :bow:

With the men it's hard to make predictions before seeing the intended layouts. If Shoma tries 3S-3T in the SP again and that would affect my predictions. Or Misha with his quads or 3F for that matter.

century2009

On the Ice
Not confidence, just not losing hope :bow:

With the men it's hard to make predictions before seeing the intended layouts. If Shoma tries 3S-3T in the SP again and that would affect my predictions. Or Misha with his quads or 3F for that matter.

I think Shoma will try 2 quads for his SP like his other top competitors at Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.