2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gabby Daleman posted a back-to-training video (taken in Toronto) with Satoko in it. Someone (I believe it was Doris) explained that Satoko had stayed in Canada because her parents are doctors who worried about being exposed through work and then exposing her; not a problem if she is half a world away from them!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I though Serafini/Tran train the the US, not Canada. Though I could be wrong about their usual or current location.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hypothetical Men Fields
USA- Chen, Krasnozhon, Camden, Tomoki, Torgashev, Naumov, Brezina, Messing, Zhou
CAN- Brown, Nguyen, Sadovsky, Gogolev, Nadeau, Orzel, Phan
FRA- Uno, Rizzo, Grassl, Vasiljevs, Ponsart, Fentz, Fa, Aymoz, Shimada
CHN- Jin, Han Yan, Cha
JPN- Tomono, Kagiyama, Sato, Tanaka, Yamamoto, Sumoto, Hanyu
RUS- Danielian, Aliev, Samarin, Ignatov, Lazukin, Kolyada, Mozalev, Gumennik, Kerry, Moris K.

Brendan (and Harley) are training in France at the moment. I do not know how they got permission to leave Australia but that is where they are. So Brendan would be more likely to compete at France, assuming he stays there.

I hate this idea. There is so much wrong with it.

Fluture

Record Breaker
This whole thing is a confusing mess and I don‘t know where to even start.

MaHa75

On the Ice
Better than nothing, especcialy from skaters point view. So be happy for them...i do not know any skater who complaining about opportunity to compete.
And about US border...at the end of august US Open in tennis will take place...that mean that atlhetes who has reason are aloud to entrance to the states.
And if i read ISU communication then i understand that who is training in other country can participate in this gp. It does not mean that then you can travel to tjis country. For example Evgenia Medvedeva is in Russia and can participate Is russia gp...not travel to canada also.
Someone said that Australian skaters suffer most...who is from australia earn the gp spot?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And about US border...at the end of august US Open in tennis will take place...that mean that atlhetes who has reason are aloud to entrance to the states.

The US Open should not take place. And likely will not if stars keep withdrawing - Nadal was the latest.

Someone said that Australian skaters suffer most...who is from australia earn the gp spot?

Brendan has at least one guaranteed, could pick up two in a normal year. But I think it's not just the Australian skaters, it's any non-GP country skater who doesn't train in a GP country. They're massively disadvantaged. Not to mention the imbalance between the different events.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
What about the Grand Prix Final? Will it consist of the winners from each competition?

I don't think the athletes would be interested in competing in such a final. They will probably concentrate in preparaing for EC/4CC/Worlds.

I think they would, if it will really take place in Beijing in the Oly arena (IIRC).

I apreciate ISU trying to help out skaters. I hope they do everything possible to protect them and the officials, if the concept of 6 mostly national GPs does go ahead. I prefer it to the virtual comeptitions which would not offer the same conditions to everyone.

I wonder if the competitions are going to be wihtout audience. It would be safer, but would it be financially sustainable for the organizers?

Also, I wonder what happens to skaters who represent countries with no GP, nor in the immediate vicinity of one. I've read here that Tursynbaeva and Kerry train in Russia, but I wonder about the Israelis for instance - they aren't guaranteed any GP anyway, but it seems they don't have much of a chance of getting one, even when skaters compete just once.

Are there any guidelines on the number of participants in the four disciplines? Is it 12-12-10-8 as usual? And is there any limit on the number of entries per country, like skaters up to a certain WS position, or is there an unlimited number of host spots? Hypothetically speaking, could a country reject a skater from a neigboring country who is guaranteed a GP, eventhough the travel between them is possible?

haribobo

On the Ice
We will see, but I have a feeling ISU is going to limit to maybe 6 (though 9 would be better) from home country, and make sure there's a guarantee for everyone with a SB of top 40 or so to get one. The pairs and dance fields definitely should be expanded to 12 at least.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
We will see, but I have a feeling ISU is going to limit to maybe 6 (though 9 would be better) from home country, and make sure there's a guarantee for everyone with a SB of top 40 or so to get one. The pairs and dance fields definitely should be expanded to 12 at least.

If they do, I hope it's 9. If it's 6 and both Shoma and Yuzuru are in Japan and Sota gets the boot as result, I'm not going to be happy. And I don't even want to think of the Russian ladies...
Who would occupy the 12 spots in pairs though? It's the discipline with the lowest number of participants. The one in Japan may not even take place...

ruga

Final Flight
I wonder if the competitions are going to be wihtout audience. It would be safer, but would it be financially sustainable for the organizers?

Also, I wonder what happens to skaters who represent countries with no GP, nor in the immediate vicinity of one. I've read here that Tursynbaeva and Kerry train in Russia, but I wonder about the Israelis for instance - they aren't guaranteed any GP anyway, but it seems they don't have much of a chance of getting one, even when skaters compete just once.
Many GP events, especially those taking place during the day or on weekdays, were half empty anyway. They could rise broadcasting rights prices if there's a lack of finances. Also, I believe ISU has spare money from cancelled JGP (which rarely got substantial audience and was broadcast only on ISU channel).

Most Israelis train in USA so they're probably going to be assigned to Skate America.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, after the JGP was canceled, I was really surprised by the announcement yesterday.

If this can be done safely for all involved, I'm all for the GP series to be done so the skaters have a chance to compete. As for audiences, I don't think they will allow spectators in the US with the way the virus is raging. Regarding other countries -- I think there's a possibility they will have audiences at a reduced capacity, depending on their statistics and government policy/guidelines.

I look forward to more details on assignments. (And fingers crossed that Evgenia will be able to get back to Canada prior to SCI)

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Skate America cannot be held with spectators. There are no states allowing large gatherings at the moment. In Nevada (presumably where it will be held), the state prohibits gatherings of more than 50 people.

oly2018

Final Flight
I think the ISU and federations are giving the athletes false hope. The US is its own issue, but I don't know of any sport, in any country, allowing audiences in indoor arenas. If an athlete were to get sick, it could be career ending. Is that worth it for what is basically a glorified exhibition? I would rather there be an attempt to host virtual shows because then the athletes could at least make some money.

Making an announcement like that, with no information, is not helpful to anyone. There are no details and I don't blame them, but why delay the inevitable? Most of the world is experiencing a second wave and the US is still deep in the first.

Ziotic

Medalist
I don’t see why they can’t just hold the events with no spectators. In Canada at least they are already hosting the NHL in two separate cities.

SC was to be held in Ottawa which is pretty close to most of the major training bases. It would be easily travelled by car from GTA/Montreal. Those out in BC/Edmonton which really aren’t that many would have to fly but there is no quarantine period between provinces.

As someone who works in a hotel I can assure you tons of people are already travelling within the country with no issues.

I realize the lineups would be weird but it’s at least something.

nickp91

Final Flight
ISU would start thinking out of the box and try to find fun and safe ways of keeping skating happening

lzxnl

Final Flight
It's unfortunate that there is no way to compare performances at different event because the judging panels will differ. I read an article which says that ISU is planning on expanding the GPF to 12 skaters and each skater only gets one GP. The winners of the 6 GPs would automatically qualify, and the next 6 skaters would somehow be chosen from the remaining skaters (the article didn't say how).That sounds extremely subjective in itself.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I think the ISU and federations are giving the athletes false hope. The US is its own issue, but I don't know of any sport, in any country, allowing audiences in indoor arenas. If an athlete were to get sick, it could be career ending. Is that worth it for what is basically a glorified exhibition? I would rather there be an attempt to host virtual shows because then the athletes could at least make some money.

Making an announcement like that, with no information, is not helpful to anyone. There are no details and I don't blame them, but why delay the inevitable? Most of the world is experiencing a second wave and the US is still deep in the first.

Audience is not the important factor.
Other sports are going to start competing in Sept & Oct, with or without audience. Plus those sports require athletes to travel from all over the world to the venue to participate.

MaHa75

On the Ice
To: Oly2018
You are wrong and shoukd look outside your box ( read outside US). There are lot of competition, concerts, galas with audience elsewhere. I were in skating gala last week in France...us is not the all world. :)

readernick

Medalist
It's unfortunate that there is no way to compare performances at different event because the judging panels will differ. I read an article which says that ISU is planning on expanding the GPF to 12 skaters and each skater only gets one GP. The winners of the 6 GPs would automatically qualify, and the next 6 skaters would somehow be chosen from the remaining skaters (the article didn't say how).That sounds extremely subjective in itself.

Honestly, skating is always subjective and even with the regular schedule for GPs, the skaters who make the GPF aren’t always the ones who had the best skates in the GPs. Some events are always more stacked than others.. for instance Skate Canada was quite a competitive event last year for ladies.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
To: Oly2018
You are wrong and shoukd look outside your box ( read outside US). There are lot of competition, concerts, galas with audience elsewhere. I were in skating gala last week in France...us is not the all world. :)

And France is not all the world either. Yes, some indoor events with audiences have started around the world (very unwisely, I would say). But, I would certainly not say "lots" have.

Here in the UK, the ban on indoor events with audiences was re-imposed literally just a couple hours after the first event with an audience started last Friday.

This is people's health we are talking about. Although it means there is less fun, it is better to be cautious.

CaroLiza_fan