2021-22 GPF: Women's qualifiers | Golden Skate

2021-22 GPF: Women's qualifiers

rinkside_user

On the Ice
I find it interesting that given the dominance Russia has had over the world for quite some time now, there has been no complete Russian sweep so far in qualifiers (either on the senior or the junior level).

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I find it interesting that given the dominance Russia has had over the world for quite some time now, there has been no complete Russian sweep so far in qualifiers (either on the senior or the junior level).
In ladies? Yes, but this is still very close with 5 out of 6 in ladies being Russian.
Russia is 100% guaranteed at least 3 medals at senior GP, no matter how they do. 2 in ladies and 1 in pairs.

If by qualifiers you mean GP events, there have been 2 podium sweeps this season.

This year there were still skaters on GP circuit, which aren’t necessarily Russia’s strongest ever, like Sofia Samodurova for example. Next year these GP spots will likely be given to very talented juniors like Samodelkina, Petrosian, Muravyova and Zinina. Then, sweeps on every single GP event can very much be possible, as well as all Russian GPF.

Amei

Record Breaker

I don't find it that surprising, a judged sport allows for some fingers being put on the scale - it wouldn't be good for the entire event to be all Russian but with the exception of 1 season in seniors at least half the competitors each season at the final are Russians.

SeniorJunior
2021-2022 Season54
2019-2020 Season44
2018-2019 Season35
2017-2018 Season35
2016-2017 Season43
2015-2016 Season23
2014-2015 Season43
2013-2014 Season44
Total29 of 48 skaters31 of 48

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It would have been this year in junior women if Russians didn’t clock-block one another when they couldn’t send skaters to 2 events and the decision was made to honour gold medals from these two events.

Plus, this year in JGP, the all-Russian sweep is impossible by definition in singles because Japan gets an entry in both single disciplines without competing.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This will be a nice appetizer for the main course which is Nationals.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
They would have probably gotten all the 6 spots this year if Trusova and Usacheva didn't have to withdraw. Sakamoto got lucky.
It's sometimes bad luck that prevent them to sweep, not their abilities.
But 5 spots is already big. They don't have to get every spot to show dominance. And another flag in the competition is good too.