2023 NHK Trophy: Women's Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2023 NHK Trophy: Women's Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

WOW! Did not see that coming!

Mihara wasn't ready but kudos for her trying :rock:
Pinzarrone has been very consistent this season.

What are your thoughts?

Your GP Finalists:
1Kaori SAKAMOTOJPN151530
2Isabeau LEVITOUSA131528
3Loena HENDRICKXBEL151126
4Hana YOSHIDAJPN91524
5Nina PINZARRONEBEL131124
6Rion SUMIYOSHIJPN111324

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Total triump of young challengers over the famous favorites. Like complete and utter one. This event can be used in the future as an argument in favor of young talent and how it shouldn't be put on the waiting list to uphold old champions. It might be that the next Olympic cycle is speeding up the kitchen of propping the transfers from Jr. to Senior ranks to help them to be a more obvious choice in 2026. The more results like that, the better. The two Subs, C. Kim and Thoringren, are incredible, and I would have rather seen them in GPF than Sakomoto and Hendrixx. So glad Rion made it into GPF!

I am also hoping it's the last time Andrews gets two assignments and that USFS finally starts supporting young talent. Even they can't argue with the results this season. All young American women did great. I know, it's too much to hope for, but maybe it will stem off at least a little bit of 'can Gracie...' chorus.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t know why you feel the need to bash other skaters, but people should be allowed to support whoever they like (within reason).
I don't mind when they do it in the fan fest. When they plaster it all over the general threads...it's when it irks me. Hence, I do the same, in reverse to offset it. I feel it's important to keep things real and hive-mind free.

rain

Record Breaker
I could almost not be less interested in watching this (the GP final). They are all deserving, but some have programs I actually dislike, while others just bore me. Maybe the takeaway is that I wish more of the women had better programs, lol.

The women I'm rooting for this season have all been totally inconsistent (Amber Glenn, Wakaba Higuchi, Maddie Schizas, Yelim Kim — even though I can't stand the song Je Suis Malade). Oh well, sometimes it's fun to watch with absolutely no skin in the game.

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't mind when they do it in the fan fest. When they plaster it all over the general threads...it's when it irks me. Hence, I do the same, in reverse to offset it. I feel it's important to keep things real and hive-mind free.
Again, within reason I think people should be able to support who they want. I also don’t think that making negative comments offsets anything. I get that you might not always agree with the decisions that are made, but it’s not the fault of the skaters or fans.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am also hoping it's the last time Andrews gets two assignments and that USFS finally starts supporting young talent. Even they can't argue with the results this season. All young American women did great. I know, it's too much to hope for, but maybe it will stem off at least a little bit of 'can Gracie...' chorus.

Starr got 2 GP assignments this season based on her international ranking from previous years; it wasn’t a decision made by USFS.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I saw Ava Marie at Sk Can 2022, I remember thinking she was skating for Germany when I heard the name Ziegler! :slink: Oops! Love the way she came out like a fireball! I'm really excited about how she and Lindsay did! Hope it bodes well for the future. My interest in the ladies had really started to wane over the years. Seemed it was either super formulaic or a hot mess (or both)!

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Glad that Rion and Hana make the final.
Hana koo koo fun program I like it ! It give me vibe of sassy Ashley Wagner hip hip chin chin.
And Rion FS with her quad toe :love2:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was positively surprised by Ava Marie Ziegler. She is very graceful but not with the usual "I'm a delicate flower" vibe and the jumps had way better flow than say Isabeau's. How old is she?

She is 17.

Another fun fact: I believe, (someone correct me if I am wrong) both Lindsay and Ava Marie train at the Ice House in northern New Jersey.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First off, one of the benefits of being a skating fan in North America is that when there are competitions in east Asia/Oceania, you wake up in the morning, look at the results, and it'll be like, "SURPRISE!"

That's what happened today when I saw both the results from the SP AND the FP.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Again, within reason I think people should be able to support who they want. I also don’t think that making negative comments offsets anything. I get that you might not always agree with the decisions that are made, but it’s not the fault of the skaters or fans.
When fans stop commenting on them in every thread they can find, no matter if they compete or not, I won't say anything at all. Fan fest is here for a reason for people to support their favs all they want, instead of dragging them everywhere, relevant or not. I would so, so, so prefer never to see names of certain skaters if I avoid competition threads where they actually compete and fanfests. Would be super.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
She is 17.

Another fun fact: I believe, (someone correct me if I am wrong) both Lindsay and Ava Marie train at the Ice House in northern New Jersey.
I believe you are correct. There was actually something posted on Reddit where someone did the GP medal totals for the women, and instead of putting US, they put New Jersey, because I believe all the US women who have won GP medals this year train in New Jersey. 🤣

Edit: minus Amber

Last edited:

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I believe you are correct. There was actually something posted on Reddit where someone did the GP medal totals for the women, and instead of putting US, they put New Jersey, because I believe all the US women who have won GP medals this year train in New Jersey. 🤣
Amber trains in Colorado Springs? Unless she's changed coaches suddenly?