2023 NHK Trophy: Pairs' Thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 NHK Trophy: Pairs' Thoughts?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, but I really love P/M. They are the only pair that shows speed and attack I love in pairs atm...so I would trade the top qualifier, yup. Challenger>old champs, always.
Old champs? Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps are pretty much just starting together. They are challengers themselves. This is the first season where really, we think of them at having a shot. Last year, they were just beginning to make their mark. They didn't medal at worlds nor at GPF. They only got a bronze at 4CC. The 21-22 season was their first year on the circuit. It looks like they have been together for longer but they were not allowed to do international competitions due to covid and "release" requirements. So I think they should get some slack really.
The Hungarians are at their second season. Only one season less than SD-D. She was skating with Nagy before.
Calling Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps the old champions is not fair and could be seen as ageism which is not cool. I also love P/M. In some ways Trennt is the most experienced skater in the Canadian pairs field right now. He is the "old" dude ;)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Just for the record: the Hungarian Pairs team is two skaters who were born in Russia and train there, as well. The great majority of the "Hungarian" skaters who competed in the GP/JGP are Russian.
Actually, they are not. The same crop of 'Russians skaters' are/were competing for Israel, Georgia, France, Germany and USA. Especially in pairs we see a ton of Russian born skaters competing for the other countries, and to single out Hungary and P/S is just not fair. Hungarian and Russian born skaters are competing for USA pairs teams, from what i'm seeing...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Actually, they are not. The same crop of 'Russians skaters' are/were competing for Israel, Georgia, France, Germany and USA. Especially in pairs we see a ton of Russian born skaters competing for the other countries, and to single out Hungary and P/S is just not fair. Hungarian and Russian born skaters are competing for USA pairs teams, from what i'm seeing...
Exactly. It's quite unfair considering the recent moves of Efimova and Parkman to the USA :) and considering that Maria's former partner is Nagy who now skates with Liu.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My thought is that I fell in love with the skating of Hase and Volodin! I love their style - some balm to soothe my still-wounded pairs fan heart, still missing Cain/Leduc from the competition scene.``
I think they are the world favourites for gold. I know it is in Canada but this team has the momentum. They have room for growth in their skating and scores. I don't think the Canadians are the chosen ones and they seem to have a huge limit on their tech skills. I think without Russia these Germans are touted for gold. They have great skill already. They are nice to watch pc wise. Move over Deanna and Max there are new kids on the block and they have your number.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think they are the world favourites for gold. I know it is in Canada but this team has the momentum. They have room for growth in their skating and scores. I don't think the Canadians are the chosen ones and they seem to have a huge limit on their tech skills. I think without Russia these Germans are touted for gold. They have great skill already. They are nice to watch pc wise. Move over Deanna and Max there are new kids on the block and they have your number.
If there is ONE thing I can count on Deanna for is not to be afraid by the new kids on the block and moving over. She will fight. Haase and Volodin are definitely a top team. They have incredible quality. Yet, there is a spark missing for me, something Chan and Howe indeed have. Haase and Volodin will have to win Euros against all 3 Italian teams and their compatriots to set themselves up for worlds.

Sabine

On the Ice
If there is ONE thing I can count on Deanna for is not to be afraid by the new kids on the block and moving over. She will fight. Haase and Volodin are definitely a top team. They have incredible quality. Yet, there is a spark missing for me, something Chan and Howe indeed have. Haase and Volodin will have to win Euros against all 3 Italian teams and their compatriots to set themselves up for worlds.
...and let's not forget the Russian Georgians, who seem to have a shot as well.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I to me it's more fun when it's less of the same country. I mean, what's the point of no Russians, if it's all of some other country? Basically, as far as i am concerned, after 2 years, pros for removing Russians are zero, and cons are many. Am bored with ISU's direction. This is no longer the figure skating that impressed me so much in 2018...honestly, I am out for next season if Russians are not back.
But it's clearly not all one country.

Last edited:

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Old champs? Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps are pretty much just starting together. They are challengers themselves. This is the first season where really, we think of them at having a shot. Last year, they were just beginning to make their mark. They didn't medal at worlds nor at GPF. They only got a bronze at 4CC. The 21-22 season was their first year on the circuit. It looks like they have been together for longer but they were not allowed to do international competitions due to covid and "release" requirements. So I think they should get some slack really.
The Hungarians are at their second season. Only one season less than SD-D. She was skating with Nagy before.
Calling Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps the old champions is not fair and could be seen as ageism which is not cool. I also love P/M. In some ways Trennt is the most experienced skater in the Canadian pairs field right now. He is the "old" dude ;)
A bronze in a 4CC with 6 teams (a couple of weeks before the Olympics) where none of the top non Europeans competed.

As far as I understand they really didn't get much practice time at all prior to that. Hence why their scores shot up by so much in the 22/23 season. It's astonishing how in the space of year they went from that to being frontrunnners at Colorado Springs.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A bronze in a 4CC which most of the top teams didn't go to because of it being an Olympic year (where they were desperate not to catch covid). As far as I understand they really didn't get much practice time at all prior to that. Hence why their scores shot up by so much in the 22/23 season.
Their bronze at 4CC was last year, behind the Japanese and Chan and Howe. I think it's the year before that was the "covid" year. That's when Walsh and Michaud got their bronze, the first ISU championship for DS/D with a 4th place.

You are correct for practice times : in Quebec it was extremely difficult for pairs for the longest time.
NationTotal pointsSPFS
Audrey Lu / Misha Mitrofanov
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
189.10​
1​
68.35​
1​
120.75​
Emily Chan / Spencer Akira Howe
United States
180.94​
3​
64.47​
2​
116.47​
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
179.70​
2​
65.42​
3​
114.28​
4Deanna Stellato-Dudek / Maxime Deschamps
Canada
172.71​
5​
59.07​
4​
113.64​
5Katie McBeath / Nathan Bartholomay
United States
168.18​
4​
59.54​
5​
108.64​
6Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland
Canada
163.60​
6​
55.40​
6​
108.20​

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Their bronze at 4CC was last year, behind the Japanese and Chan and Howe. I think it's the year before that was the "covid" year. That's when Walsh and Michaud got their bronze, the first ISU championship for DS/D with a 4th place.

You are correct for practice times : in Quebec it was extremely difficult for pairs for the longest time.
NationTotal pointsSPFS
Audrey Lu / Misha Mitrofanov
United States
189.10​
1​
68.35​
1​
120.75​
Emily Chan / Spencer Akira Howe
United States
180.94​
3​
64.47​
2​
116.47​
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
Canada
179.70​
2​
65.42​
3​
114.28​
4Deanna Stellato-Dudek / Maxime Deschamps
Canada
172.71​
5​
59.07​
4​
113.64​
5Katie McBeath / Nathan Bartholomay
United States
168.18​
4​
59.54​
5​
108.64​
6Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland
Canada
163.60​
6​
55.40​
6​
108.20​
Oh yeah, it was fourth. But my point about their progress still stands. They're amazing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh yeah, it was fourth. But my point about their progress still stands. They're amazing.
They improved so much. Their twist now regularly gets level 4. The lifts that are not cookie cutter were often marked level 3, not anymore. The SBS toe jumps used to have weird and unmatched entries, they have fixed that as well.
So indeed, they keep developing and improving. This summer, I noticed increased speed for them, which was one of the things they addressed. So that's why when I read comments like "move over old champs" I am like really??? LOL

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Queen Deanna fears nothing. 👑

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love both pairs..Queen Deanna and Minerva Fabienne are both such icons. Deanna is the queen, she is so fierce, and Minerva Fabienne is not so much a princess but a really present woman. Who do you choose? Maxime and Nikita both are such good pairs men..- Difficulty. I voted for one in the Picks but I love both.

Sorry guys. Should be in the GPF thread. Sorry!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They have a shot to be European Champions. I'm sure they'll go to Kaunas.
Yup... :) forgot about Euros :) how could I when I mentioned it right there..
So HV have 3 Italian teams, 1 German team, 1 Georgian team and 1 Hungarian team to watch out for at Euros. :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My thought is that I fell in love with the skating of Hase and Volodin! I love their style - some balm to soothe my still-wounded pairs fan heart, still missing Cain/Leduc from the competition scene.``

😍 I think our Ted Barton had some of the best remarks that reflect my instant love for Hase/Volodin, which happened the first time I saw their free skate this year and even went out a limb to predict their Nebelhorn win! Here's some of what Ted said about Minerva & Nikita:

they have "performance in every movement ... delivering the highest quality of movement."

"there is a marriage between the performance, the character, and the story and the difficulty of the elements."

For me, they have a spark, and are also a more complete team than Stellato-Dudek and Deschamps. H/V give more emotion to the audience. It will be an interesting competition at GPF and Worlds!

Crowdproud

On the Ice
😍 I think our Ted Barton had some of the best remarks that reflect my instant love for Hase/Volodin, which happened the first time I saw their free skate this year and even went out a limb to predict their Nebelhorn win! Here's some of what Ted said about Minerva & Nikita:

they have "performance in every movement ... delivering the highest quality of movement."

"there is a marriage between the performance, the character, and the story and the difficulty of the elements."

For me, they have a spark, and are also a more complete team than Stellato-Dudek and Deschamps. H/V give more emotion to the audience. It will be an interesting competition at GPF and Worlds!
I noticed H/V right away at the early Challenger events; they are remarkable for skating so much as 'one' in their first competitive year together. They appear to have great respect for each other as well as wonderful unison & elegance.

But I have to say that Deanna & Max have shown great improvement from a year ago; so much assuredness, clarity of movement, passion, speed. Their Skate Canada performance had a worlds podium level vibe to it. I assume that 4CC would be an important outing for them. I wonder if Miura/Kihara & Chan/Howe would participate; it would be an interesting test for Deanna & Max to compete against these two teams again.

Last edited: