2023 Grand Prix Espoo: Pairs' Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix Espoo: Pairs' Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Hase and Volodin were a nice surprise!! This seems to be a great partnership since they medaled at all three CS events in their debut as a team :clap:

Conti and Macii are clearly working through something, but I have high hopes for them at the Final.

Peng/Weng should continue to meld if they can stay together. The sbs jumps need work.

What are your thoughts on the Pairs' event in Espoo?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Scariest event i have watched in years. So many lift issues. SBS need work for everyone : with the +2a seq possibility, it's a game changer. Teams can no longer get huge scores only on pair elements. It was clearly demonstrated here with the Chinese getting pushed off the podium as they had not even an attempt at a combo and a planned 2s. (and of course, their 3toes were < )

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs is my favorite discipline (leading men by just a hair), and this competition made me feel sad. I have been following pairs since the days of Rodnina and Zaitsev, and I am longing to see that same speed, flow, jumps, thrilling throws, cool pairs spins & lifts, etc. Scary pairs is exactly that -- scary! Aborted lifts and the droppsies, falls on jumps and throws, and odd falls. There were some fun things too, but in general -- YIKES! I was relieved when the first group was over.

Peng and Wang -- It's so good to see Peng. She is such a diva, in all good senses of the word. I loved her partnership with Jin, but I'm sure this partnership with Wang is going to be a great one, once they get a little more experience together. Loved their Sorcerer's Apprentice free. I think Lori Nichol hit a home run with the choreo on this. Loved some of the moves that were perfectly timed to the music. Peng must have visited a jump guru. She was never known for her stellar jump or throw landings, but she was spot on here. Their pairs' spin seemed to get slower and slower, and their ice coverage when they did their lifts seemed to slow down. They'll fix that though. All in all though, SO enjoyable.

Ellie and Danny -- I have been following Danny for years and am a big fan of his. I like this partnership with Ellie, but I worry that she maybe shouldn't even be skating. I think it was in the practice reports here that it was mentioned that she fell on all (or almost all) the throws and jumps. If she is injured, I wish she would take the time to heal. She sustained a mild concussion previously, but I don't think concussion was the issue here. Please be careful Ellie! :cry:

Pairs is such a difficult discipline, but I will continue to hope that the promising pairs get better and better with more experience.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I always enjoy pair events but this one surely was scary. Especially the fall of Benjamin while lifting. Aaargh! Sadly, there were 3 pairs with lift issues, which is a lot when there are only 8 competing. It feels as if Minerva Fabienne (I still love that name) can handle throw jump landings better with this new partner Nikita. I really enjoyed watching them. A pity about the Chinese (they had a lovely programme) but it was technically just not as good as others. Seems the Hungarians are really growing. I really had respect for Elly and Danny even being here but the landing of jumps does need work (the lift issue cost a lot of points but was not scary to watch).

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Pairs is my favorite discipline (leading men by just a hair), and this competition made me feel sad. I have been following pairs since the days of Rodnina and Zaitsev, and I am longing to see that same speed, flow, jumps, thrilling throws, cool pairs spins & lifts, etc. Scary pairs is exactly that -- scary! Aborted lifts and the droppsies, falls on jumps and throws, and odd falls. There were some fun things too, but in general -- YIKES! I was relieved when the first group was over.
agreed.. scary
Peng and Wang -- It's so good to see Peng. She is such a diva, in all good senses of the word. I loved her partnership with Jin, but I'm sure this partnership with Wang is going to be a great one, once they get a little more experience together. Loved their Sorcerer's Apprentice free. I think Lori Nichol hit a home run with the choreo on this. Loved some of the moves that were perfectly timed to the music. Peng must have visited a jump guru.
agreed with the choreo by Lori.. it's great... and some good music. i miss the days of classical music + pairs.
She was never known for her stellar jump or throw landings, but she was spot on here
she wasn't though. < on the 3toe, 2s (planned) no combo (was that planned?)
. Their pairs' spin seemed to get slower and slower, and their ice coverage when they did their lifts seemed to slow down. They'll fix that though. All in all though, SO enjoyable.

Ellie and Danny -- I have been following Danny for years and am a big fan of his. I like this partnership with Ellie, but I worry that she maybe shouldn't even be skating. I think it was in the practice reports here that it was mentioned that she fell on all (or almost all) the throws and jumps. If she is injured, I wish she would take the time to heal. She sustained a mild concussion previously, but I don't think concussion was the issue here. Please be careful Ellie! :cry:
yup.. i share this sentiment. I think they should have pulled out of GP season completely and come back strong at Nationals. Too many pair teams have had to quit skating because of concussions.
Pairs is such a difficult discipline, but I will continue to hope that the promising pairs get better and better with more experience.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I haven't seen the rest of the group yet, but I've watched Brooke and Benjamin's outing several times now, and I notice his falls on the lift and jump were both in the same spot on the ice. Did others fall there also? I was wondering about a roughness of some sort there, a ridge or a rut. Made me think of the 1988 Canadians in Victoria, when almost all of the senior men, including Brian Orser, fell at least once, in the corner where the Zamboni gate was. A friend in that event told me afterwards there were several small parallel ridges there leading toward the gate. It got so the spectators were saying, "Don't jump! Don't jump!" whenever a man was obviously setting up a jump for that corner of the rink.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
yup.. i share this sentiment. I think they should have pulled out of GP season completely and come back strong at Nationals. Too many pair teams have had to quit skating because of concussions.
And not just from falls. I once gave my partner whiplash by smacking the side of his head with my elbow in a twist catch. We had to stop and withdraw because his neck spasmed and he couldn't move his head in any direction, and he got checked out for concussion as well.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scariest event i have watched in years. So many lift issues. SBS need work for everyone : with the +2a seq possibility, it's a game changer. Teams can no longer get huge scores only on pair elements. It was clearly demonstrated here with the Chinese getting pushed off the podium as they had not even an attempt at a combo and a planned 2s. (and of course, their 3toes were < )
I have to give credit to Peng/Wang. They haven't even been together a year yet. He just came out of retirement at the ripe age of 35 to skate with her. I think it's good they are getting these GPs under their belt. Lot's to work on for sure. Looking forward to seeing them at 4CCs!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have to give credit to Peng/Wang. They haven't even been together a year yet. He just came out of retirement at the ripe age of 25 to skate with her. I think it's good they are getting these GPs under their belt. Lot's to work on for sure. Looking forward to seeing them at 4CCs!
Of course. I am just happy to see Peng back as well. I really liked their LP. Their throws are already big. It is going to come down to SBS jumps.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Scariest event i have watched in years. So many lift issues.
Finally got the time to watch the whole event on youtube. Found myself thinking that if I were coaching beginner pairs, I'd make at least the first group required watching for my boy pupils. While events stricken by an epidemic of falls are not uncommon, it's not that often at that level when you see one pair after another aborting lifts. But I was struck by how competently each man in succession coped exactly the way he should and got his partner down with a minimum of flailing and no injuries. A vital skill (and attitude) all boys learning to be pairs partners need to master from the start, or no pairs girl is going to be willing to take to that air above them :eek:.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Finally got the time to watch the whole event on youtube. Found myself thinking that if I were coaching beginner pairs, I'd make at least the first group required watching for my boy pupils. While events stricken by an epidemic of falls are not uncommon, it's not that often at that level when you see one pair after another aborting lifts. But I was struck by how competently each man in succession coped exactly the way he should and got his partner down with a minimum of flailing and no injuries. A vital skill (and attitude) all boys learning to be pairs partners need to master from the start, or no pairs girl is going to be willing to take to that air above them :eek:.
yes ! I thought Ben did really well in keeping Brooke safe. So did the other guys. At the same time, it's a bit uncanny to see that many lift issues at the GP level.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Didn't watch, since there is too much to watch, but grats to Hase/Volodin and argh, seems that Pavlova/Sviatchenko will narrowly miss the final. Too bad.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been following pairs since the days of Rodnina and Zaitsev, and I am longing to see that same speed, flow, jumps, thrilling throws,
I agree with what you said. Except R & Z never did throws, they had extra lifts and a gigantic 3Twist. That is why the battle with Tai & Randy was expected to be so interesting as they had two throws a 2A and 3S and 2Twist. We will never know how that would’ve turned out. I followed the same teams since 1976.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I read on social media somewhere that Sara and Niccolo are recovering from a injury, but I can't remember the details.
I hope Ellie Kam recovers, I think they competed rather soon after her concussion? at their previous event. I'd much rather skaters took the time off to rest and recuperate rather than skate at risk.

Minerva and Nikita won their first senior GP event! If they iron out the mistakes I think they can challenge for 200 points and perhaps The European podium. Pretty exciting for Germany (who already have other excellent pair teams)!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Minerva Fabienne Hase and Nikita Volodin. I am wild about this pair. I've always loved Minerva's engagement with her emotions and the music of her programs, and I really think Nikita's same perfectly complement hers. There's something about the way they're both into their movements, although they're not over the top with their expression. Just perfectly elegant and skating with flow and grace.

Quality. That's what I see with this team. Just looking at the GOE scores is an indication of the fact that they care about the effect of the elements they do, not just the elements themselves. Quality is also reflected in the components scores. Also, I feel that Minerva and Nikita believe what they're doing. It may seem like an intangible to some, but for me that only means that the power is multiplied ... because people feel it as well as seeing/evaluating/measuring.

Their lifts are just gorgeous, with attention to beauty and the feeling of flight, especially the last one with the star position. Also, the choreographic lift is amazing and original. It's also the only lift I've ever seen where the man extends one leg behind him that it didn't look like that move was added just for the extra points. Their bodies make a beautiful shape. Very cool. Mark said he'd love to know how they came up with that lift!

I had family here, so I could only watch the 2nd half of the competition live. That was probably good, because I watched the first half later in the day. The lifts coming down (or both parties falling!) all thru the first half was upsetting to watch ... but at least I knew that the second half was going to be much better and everyone seemed to be all right.

rain

Record Breaker
yes ! I thought Ben did really well in keeping Brooke safe. So did the other guys. At the same time, it's a bit uncanny to see that many lift issues at the GP level.
I've never seen so many lift problems in a single competition before. And from experienced teams.

Those who were saying McIntosh and Mimar's problem this season was their program were certainly incorrect.

What would possess anyone with ears to pick the music the Hungarians have for their free? I cannot imagine listening to that every day in practice.

The Germans are a very classic looking pair. Lightest twist I've seen in a long time.