2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Free Dance

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually stayed up late enough to see the ice dancers :)

Yay Team KoKo:clap: I have a soft spot for them, having labored in the trenches on Japanese ice dancing for so long and they have improved so much. I would love to see them at the Olys, although I doubt it will happen.

And AyuShin! I am thrilled, so lovely, making me overcome the disappointment of Utashin breaking up.

Of course Kana and Dai so artistic.

It is a shame that with the emphasis on skating skills, where they tend to excel, more Japanese skaters do not pick up ice dancing.

2:35 am, Santa is going to bed🎅

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker

rollerblade

Record Breaker
It is a shame that with the emphasis on skating skills, where they tend to excel, more Japanese skaters do not pick up ice dancing.
I think the main driving force is - singles has more prestige, and has a much bigger earning potential. It's also easier to not have your career dependent on whether your partner is on the same page throughout the duration of your partnership.

That said, I think the success of Dai may just be the inertia Japan needed for future generations of Ice Dancers. And also hesitant parents of future generations. :p

Kittosuni

Medalist
Happy for KK/K but i have no doubt that Jfed will send M/T to Beijing. That's going to be a heartbreaking for them especially with the fight they showed here.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Congratulations to Team KoKo - what a fight between the top two! I'm incredibly heartbroken for Kana and Dai to have made such a costly mistake at the most crucial competition after such a succesful season so far. Misato and Tim deserved the overall win here and this was the best they skated their FD this season.

I'm 99 % sure the federation will send KoKo to the Olympics and Kana and Dai to Worlds.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to team KoKo! KanaDai’s mistake in the RD sealed their fate for Silver! Hard fight for them all. I wont lie I am disappointed at the outcome for KanaDai but ice is slippery. Congrats to them for winning the FD!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dai and Kana have beaten K/K at every prior competition this year and would have here if not for a freak fall in the SP. I think JF should send them to the Olympics. (Also because I want them to. 😊).

deedee1

Record Breaker
:clap::clap::clap: to all teams! I did enjoy the whole ID competition. I would have loved more had there been all seven teams as scheduled.

Congrats to Team KoKo for the overall win that was well deserved. :) That FD was so beautiful, the best skated for them this season.
And congrats to KanaDai for winning FD and for their effort to fight back so hard after the unfortunate falls in RD. How could he save himself from falling during the final element, sliding movement, he seemed to totally lost his balance.

Re KoKo vs KanaDai which team to the Oly Games. Let's wait till the announcement tomorrow, shall we. Either way, I will feel happy for one and feel very sad for the other for sure.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Saved her from what?
It's not unusual for Japanese Dance teams to switch partners multiple times but before Aru, Kiria could not seem to keep a partner for more than one season

She's likely cycled through as many partners as years she's spent training/competing (since novice)

I know near nothing about Ice Dance but to my untrained eye younger Kiria didn't seem to have the spark or talent for this discipline

Then in summer of 2019 she paired up with Kenta Ishibashi and for the first time she actually looked like she enjoyed skating
She seemed comfortable with him and started to improve

I really thought she'd finally found her perfect match but after one season Ishibashi unexpectedly? decided to retire

During the announcement of their split she looked absolutely devastated

At that time Aru had also retired due to a shoulder injury (iirc) which had not healed even after an entire season off for rehab

So I was shocked and skeptical when he announced in 2020 that he would be partnering with Kiria and returning to competition

During his time skating with Rikako Fukase, Aru gave the impression of a stable and confident, yet supportive big brother (and a perfectionist!)
This could be why they skate slower (for control) and likely what Kiria needed

Now they're in their 2nd season training together and seem to be doing well? (I still have trust issues when it comes to Kiria and partners)
I just wish they'd be rewarded for their effort and sent to an international competition to gain more experience together

My apologies for the long winded post~

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Happy for KK/K but i have no doubt that Jfed will send M/T to Beijing. That's going to be a heartbreaking for them especially with the fight they showed here.

Agreed that they’ll be sent to Beijing and KK/K will go to Worlds.

I absolutely *want* M/T to go to Beijing and it would be better for Japanese I’ve dance and they have higher scoring potential.

But I think it’s more fair for KK/K to go and they deserve it after being shafted last time. M/T have produced better results but when it counted they messed up. One fall doesn’t define a season but it does make it much harder for the fed. Even had the fall not been on an element they would have the title.

Very tough decision.