2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Women's FS | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Women's FS

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I think the opposite, instead of sending Mana to both Olympics and worlds they should send mana to Olympics and Mai to worlds because Mai is very stable and would probably place top 6 at worlds and get them a spot.
You don't think Kaori and Wakaba are capable of that?

gotoschool

Medalist
Comparisons in the Grand Prix
Mana Kawabe
186.52 Skate Canada 9th place
205.44 NHK Trophy 2nd place

Mai Mihara
210 Skate Canada 4th of course though she deserved higher in both Grand Prixs
214.95 Skate Grand Prix Italy

readernick

Medalist
I understand why all of Mai's fans want her on the team. However, in 2018 Wakaba had a great season. She made the GPF and , yet, the JF didn't put her on the team. They choose Kaori with far less impressive international junior and senior results. It's true Kawabata was skipped over in favor of Satoko but that was an extreme case, she didn't even have her senior minimums. Mana has a GP medal. It isn't the same situation.

Maybe, I am wrong. Kaori and Mai's coach is a favorite of the federation. It could happen, but I don't see a strong logical argument for her selection.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Mana has a GP medal.
Medaling at a GP is not a selection criteria, because it depends largely on the level of the competition at the event (that Kihira and Trusova pulled out of, which would have left Kawabe without a medal). That's why they go with the scores, which can be fairly compared, and which Mai's were better.

Joekaz

On the Ice
With Higuchi's luck, the Olympics will probably be cancelled anyways.. Lol Even if it isn't, it will probably be the least fun in history and the alternates will have a real chance of being used because of Covid.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Im starting to get less confident in Mana going. I would still favor her 60/40, but I think fan pressure and Fuji TV liking a good story could help Mai alot. As I said, we will see.
Well, the crow is mine to eat. You were right. Nationals is everything.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Well, the crow is mine to eat. You were right. Nationals is everything.
I guess it is. I wasn't that sure myself, but I just didn't think Mai has accomplished enough to jump her. I guess that's why skaters get so nervous, one mistake can ruin 4 years work.

gotoschool

Medalist
This decision is really difficult to take concerning Mai, I am heartbroken for her and Rika especially since they are two of my favorites, but I do enjoy Mana's skating. I think the fact that Coach Hamada doesn't have any other high placing skaters has more to do with the decision and the Nationals scoring, especially considering that so much preference in scoring has been accorded to Kaori with Mai having the same coach Sonoko Nakano, so there are no political points left for Mai to collect since the JSF tends to limit the influence to one skater for each coach, which is one reason why Mai is always relatively so lowballed and her improvement in PCS ignored and standing ovations from the crowd ignored in the scoring. The precedent for this exchange and what I consider unfair scoring is what happened between these coaches in 2018 when Hamada's skater Satoko received preferential scores over Mai and Sonoko Nakano's skater Kaori received preferential scoring over Rika.

Last edited:

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Phew. That was something from Yuhaha. Entertaining but weird. Don't know how to connect the lemon dress to the music, which was a tad too much for her level of energy. And seriously, "Fat bottomed Girls"? But entertaining it was. :clap:
Freddie Mercury wore what became a very famous yellow "military-style" jacket during one of his European tours back in the late 1980s so that is perhaps where the "lemon dress" reference comes from.

gotoschool

Medalist
Well with two great emotionally moving and technically clean performances at 4CC's, the second one under immense pressure to go clean and with a new top score and her second 4CC's championship, Mai Mihara made the JSF look like fools for not selecting her to rightfully go to the Olympics or Worlds which was rubbing salt in the wound.