2021 IdF - Women: Thoughts and Comments? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 IdF - Women: Thoughts and Comments?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I don't understand this much hype for Wakaba. She is a good skater but I don't see an olympic medalist in her. Her program was empty and I would not rewatch it. On the other side I was really sad for Ekaterina Ryabova who was outrageously underscored.
Nobody is realistically expecting Wakaba to make the podium, but she did do well relative to the field here. Aliona is a good skater too but I don't see an Olympic medalist in her either. Neither of them are likely to beat Trusova/Valieva/Scherbakova (probably also Tuktamysheva) on base value, and although Wakaba sometimes telegraphs jumps, so does Aliona now. I think purely based on today's performances, both are in a similar league.
Katia unfortunately has small fed disadvantage now :(

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kostornaia is back!! And I'm so happy about it! The FS has a ways to go. But in the 'New York, New York' SP, she gets to show, and is already showing though it's still developing, all the qualities she has that make her so special in the figure skating world. She expresses the music with every cell of her being. And by that I mean her physical being, her mental being, and her spirit life. I realize this is a minority opinion, but I love the more sensual, slow beginning of the program featuring Carey Mulligan's singing. It gives an opportunity for Aliona to display her amazing talent, and to distinguish herself from the women who are beautiful technical skaters but aren't even pausing to give the audience a few seconds to appreciate what they're doing and feeling. I love Aliona's little hop out of the 3F-3T. I love the kick right on the music. And then we can enjoy the contrast in her skating to Liza Minelli's singing. Tempo change, mood change. But Aliona has equal sparkle in both parts. I feel pretty confident we'll see development in the Billie Eilish FS in the near future.

I also loved that Yuhana Yokoi expressed her music with her skating, her movement. I really thought she was a stand-out in that respect.

Another wonderful moment was Mariah Bell's skate. Someone wrote in the comp thread that whereas she expressed mostly joy in her 'Hallelujah' program a couple of years ago, in today's skate she was showing more raw emotion. I agree with that, and it creates a moment of tenderness and vulnerability that gives us something fragile, and endearing. I noticed that for this program, Mariah wore very little make-up, which seemed to me like a conscious choice to express the 'something different' in this season's version of 'Hallelujah.' You can see it in the close-ups: at the end of the skate, her cheeks are slightly rosy and her forehead is glowing, but it's the effect of exertion, not make-up, because that color and shine wasn't there at the beginning. I'm not against make-up, I don't want to give that impression. Just that whether it's her conscious plan or not, Mariah creates something different here. A nuance.

These skaters, among others but these are my 3 moments of the women's programs for the week-end, are employing their techniques and athletic prowess in the service of the emotions and art of figure skating. Rather than having technique be the focus, with emotion and art painted on as if they're afterthoughts. Just my opinion ... as you can tell, it's a rather passionate opinion. :)

Last edited:

Zora

On the Ice
Wakaba :love2:
Just like Loena, it feels like she is the real winner of the competition. Not in the sense that the top skaters don't deserve their places, but they are out of reach anyway, in their own competition. And like Loena, it was Wakaba who had the performance of her life and won the Bronze medal. I also think her program is so much easier to get, who doesn't love The Lion King, and a step sequence to the highlight of the music will always be a crowd-pleaser.

I don't think Aliona's program is cleverly constructed. The last music part is so weak, she leaves the program with a washed out impression. I can't believe it's so hard to choreograph a good program for her, yet she is struggling with this for two seasons now.
Edit: But I want to congratulate Aliona on being the only skater, who can make this typical Gleikhenglauz move look somewhat pretty :LOL:

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don't understand this much hype for Wakaba. She is a good skater but I don't see an olympic medalist in her. Her program was empty and I would not rewatch it. On the other side I was really sad for Ekaterina Ryabova who was outrageously underscored.
There are 2 of us. I just can't understand this massive support of Wakaba here. The highlights of the event? Anna's SP and Alena's finding her mojo again. Grossly underscored? Ryabova, of course. They were so disappointed with her coach at K&C. I felt for them.

lizardlass

On the Ice
People have already covered most of my thoughts about the placements and performances, so I have other observations...

Was anyone else distracted by that Eye of Sauron looking thing behind the boards? Big yellow eyeball shaped light with a black pupil center? Or am I losing it? (I could be.)

Also...it sounded like there was a small group of young, healthy-lunged girls in the corner who literally shrieked their heads off for every single element. (And sometimes just at random moments.) It got a little old after awhile. Or maybe I'm just getting a little old. (I am.)

lesnar001

Record Breaker
People have already covered most of my thoughts about the placements and performances, so I have other observations...

Was anyone else distracted by that Eye of Sauron looking thing behind the boards? Big yellow eyeball shaped light with a black pupil center? Or am I losing it? (I could be.)

Also...it sounded like there was a small group of young, healthy-lunged girls in the corner who literally shrieked their heads off for every single element. (And sometimes just at random moments.) It got a little old after awhile. Or maybe I'm just getting a little old. (I am.)
I think I must be too old, because it also bothered me.

The big eye was kind of creepy. For me, the creepiest thing I remember was 3 seasons ago (I think it was a GP event). It was the advertisement on the boards with a picture of bare feet.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
There are 2 of us. I just can't understand this massive support of Wakaba here. The highlights of the event? Anna's SP and Alena's finding her mojo again. Grossly underscored? Ryabova, of course. They were so disappointed with her coach at K&C. I felt for them.
Not agreeing or disagreeing about Wakaba Higuchi because everybody has their favorites.
I definitely agree with Anna's SP and Alena's SP (for me the mojo is still missing in the LP) being the highlights for me.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
I love Wakaba. Like any other skater you either get/like her or you do not. I don’t care for any Russian skater other than the Empress.

Skating is an opinion.
Absolutely. I don't particularly find Wakaba style of skating is to my taste, however I always find there is something in every skater you can enjoy even if you have a preference which we all do. I enjoy Wakaba's step sequences.
Kostornaia is back!! And I'm so happy about it! The FS has a ways to go. But in the 'New York, New York' SP, she gets to show, and is already showing though it's still developing, all the qualities she has that make her so special in the figure skating world. She expresses the music with every cell of her being. And by that I mean her physical being, her mental being, and her spirit life. I realize this is a minority opinion, but I love the more sensual, slow beginning of the program featuring Carey Mulligan's singing. It gives an opportunity for Aliona to display her amazing talent, and to distinguish herself from the women who are beautiful technical skaters but aren't even pausing to give the audience a few seconds to appreciate what they're doing and feeling. I love Aliona's little hop out of the 3F-3T. I love the kick right on the music. And then we can enjoy the contrast in her skating to Liza Minelli's singing. Tempo change, mood change. But Aliona has equal sparkle in both parts. I feel pretty confident we'll see development in the Billie Eilish FS in the near future.

I also loved that Yuhana Yokoi expressed her music with her skating, her movement. I really thought she was a stand-out in that respect.

Another wonderful moment was Mariah Bell's skate. Someone wrote in the comp thread that whereas she expressed mostly joy in her 'Hallelujah' program a couple of years ago, in today's skate she was showing more raw emotion. I agree with that, and it creates a moment of tenderness and vulnerability that gives us something fragile, and endearing. I noticed that for this program, Mariah wore very little make-up, which seemed to me like a conscious choice to express the 'something different' in this season's version of 'Hallelujah.' You can see it in the close-ups: at the end of the skate, her cheeks are slightly rosy and her forehead is glowing, but it's the effect of exertion, not make-up, because that color and shine wasn't there at the beginning. I'm not against make-up, I don't want to give that impression. Just that whether it's her conscious plan or not, Mariah creates something different here. A nuance.

These skaters, among others but these are my 3 moments of the women's programs for the week-end, are employing their techniques and athletic prowess in the service of the emotions and art of figure skating. Rather than having technique be the focus, with emotion and art painted on as if they're afterthoughts. Just my opinion ... as you can tell, it's a rather passionate opinion. :)
It's an eloquent and beautifully put post. I enjoyed reading it.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
The highlight for me is that judging was absolutely correct there. I even agree with every single components score they gave to the skaters :points:

Last edited:

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight

Yes there were 2!! What were they!! I thought I was watching a Sci fi movie.😂 Well yes , screaming children! Unfortunately they're everywhere!!😂 Definitely signs of old age. I concur.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Kseniia is still by far my favourite Women's skater. Her skating is so beautiful and nuances in her choreography is sublime. She is my hilight of the women for me personally.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I can say, without a doubt, that Wakaba has the greatest Lion King program of all time. Max Aaron, dont @ me.
I found her preparation for the elements in Lion King programme a little bit distracting. If she can spent less time in that and perform more between the elements it could be the greatest. Because StSq and CoSq are also the required elements and she performs just in them.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
I found her preparation for the elements in Lion King programme a little bit distracting. If she can spent less time in that and perform more between the elements it could be the greatest. Because StSq and CoSq are also the required elements and she performs just in them.

Out of curiosity, do have a lion king program you like more than this one?

randomfan

Record Breaker
In my opinion, she just needs to perform it more and be less concentrated on the required elements/jumps (the same problem i had with Kostornaya's free). Fear/Gibson's this year programme comes to mind.
100% this. I'm a huge fan of Wakaba and her Lion King is one of my favourite programs this season, but she mostly goes through the movements in the first half, and it doesn't help that the choreo for that section is a bit empty (not bad by any means, but still empty). If she can bring the same fire and energy she puts in her (absolutely stunning) step and choreo sequence throughout most of if not the entire program, then she can make it truly shine. And seeing how well she performs her SP, she can clearly do it.

As for Alena, I feel like she actually performs the FS quite decently. It's just that the program itself is very dull and not choreographed too well. Her SP is the stronger program, and her performance here at IDF was great.

Last edited: