gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2021 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic
Sept. 15-19, 2021
Skating Club of Boston
Norwood, Massachusetts

The 2021 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic is an international senior competition which will feature the Men's, Women's, and Ice dance disciplines. The competition will be held alongside the U.S. Challenge Skate, which is a developmental competition for domestic novice and junior competitors. The event will take place Sep 15-18, 2021, in Norwood, Mass.

This event is not a part of the Challenger Series this season, but will be conducted in accordance with the ISU Constitution and General Regulations 2021, the Special Regulations & Technical Rules Single & Pair Skating and Ice Dance 2021, and the relevant ISU Communications.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so excited about this. I hope some international skaters will be there. It's a new skating rink and I can't wait to see it. :party2:
I hope they will be selling audience tickets if it's safe enough to do so. They seem to have ample seating in the pictures and videos I have seen.

I can easily take Amtrak from NYC to Norwood in about 3.5 hours on Acela and there are a couple of hotels in the area such as the Hampton Inn which looks reasonably priced and has good reviews. I don't drive so I will have to rely on Ubers to get me to the SCoB, if I am able to go.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope they will be selling audience tickets if it's safe enough to do so. They seem to have ample seating in the pictures and videos I have seen.

I can easily take Amtrak from NYC to Norwood in about 3.5 hours on Acela and there are a couple of hotels in the area such as the Hampton Inn which looks reasonably priced and has good reviews. I don't drive so I will have to rely on Ubers to get me to the SCoB, if I am able to go.
And it's not far from Gillette stadium in Foxboro and there are restaurants, shopping, hotels all there. Take the T into Boston for a day of sightseeing. It's a great location. And the rink is brand new.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I’m thinking about this one … it is SO FAR though

moonvine, please note that the 2021 U.S. Classic location has changed to TBA, per the listing on the ISU calendar published on June 8.

(What we know for sure will be in Boston/Norwood are Cranberry Cup International and this year's Lake Placid Ice Dance International. Both happening in mid-Aug alongside the club competition Cranberry Open. :))

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
moonvine, please note that the 2021 U.S. Classic location has changed to TBA, per the listing on the ISU calendar published on June 8.

(What we know for sure will be in Boston/Norwood are Cranberry Cup International and this year's Lake Placid Ice Dance International. Both happening in mid-Aug alongside the club competition Cranberry Open. :))
That is so strange that they’d change it to TBD

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I just looked on the Skating Club of Boston website. It says a determination will be made as to whether to allow spectators on July 15.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just looked on the Skating Club of Boston website. It says a determination will be made as to whether to allow spectators on July 15.

To be clear: AFAIK, your post is referring only to Cranberry Cup International and Lake Placid Ice Dance International, and to the possibility of spectators at those events in mid-August at Skating Club of Boston.

(And is not referring to U.S. International Classic in mid-September, for which the ISU event page continues to say, "TBA, USA" as the location -- as of this writing.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
moonvine, please note that the 2021 U.S. Classic location has changed to TBA, per the listing on the ISU calendar published on June 8. ...

... How confusing.

Updates:

The ISU event page has changed "TBA" location for U.S. Classic to Norwood, Mass.

And the Announcement document for the competition now is posted on the ISU event page.

(It indeed was confusing that the ISU season calendar PDF and ISU event page for U.S. Classic had said TBA location, which was out of synch with the word from USFS in April 2021 that SCOB in Norwood would be the location.)

ETA (on Aug 6):

USFS event page for U.S. Classic:

The "Watch" button on this U.S. Classic event page links to Peacock -- which seems to indicate that the competition will be available on Peacock Premium??​

ETA (on Aug 19):

Within the last few days, the USFS event page has added additional confirmation that this year's Challenge Skate (companion event to U.S. Classic) is happening. :)

"Following it's successful launch in 2012, U.S. Figure Skating will host the 10th annual Novice & Junior Challenge Skate in conjunction with the International Classic. Registration for novice/junior singles athletes and ice dance teams will open on Monday, August 23 via EMS and will be invitation only at the discretion of U.S. Figure Skating's High Performance Department. ..."​

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Updates:

The ISU event page has changed "TBA" location for U.S. Classic to Norwood, Mass.​

And the Announcement document for the competition now is posted on the ISU event page.​

(It indeed was confusing that the ISU season calendar PDF and ISU event page for U.S. Classic had said TBA location, which was out of synch with the word from USFS in April 2021 that SCOB in Norwood would be the location.)

ETA (on Aug 6):

USFS event page for U.S. Classic:​

The "Watch" button on this U.S. Classic event page links to Peacock -- which seems to indicate that the competition will be available on Peacock Premium??​
My understanding is that it will only be available on Peacock, which stinks for our International friends.

charmblade

Final Flight
Hmm in working out fall plans for weekend events with my husband (we have a toddler to manage) and it looks like I should be able to attend this event! Not sure if I'd be able to do both Friday and Saturday depending on what the schedule looks like but I'm hoping they'll release a timed schedule (and list of participants!) soon so I figure out my plans. I only live like 15 minutes from the rink but it might depend on my work schedule that Friday.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm in working out fall plans for weekend events with my husband (we have a toddler to manage) and it looks like I should be able to attend this event! Not sure if I'd be able to do both Friday and Saturday depending on what the schedule looks like but I'm hoping they'll release a timed schedule (and list of participants!) soon so I figure out my plans. I only live like 15 minutes from the rink but it might depend on my work schedule that Friday.
Have fun. Awesome venue.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My understanding is that it will only be available on Peacock, which stinks for our International friends.

Are there any Canadians skating in this event?

I hope so, because the Canadian GS Mafia will find a bootleg stream - some way, some how - and share with us.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Confirmed entries as of Aug. 26, 2021 (subject to change)

Women

Valeriia Sidorova (ARM)
Katherine Ona (ECU)
Yi Christy Leung (HKG)
Tara Prasad (IND)
Taylor Morris (ISR)
Yeonjeong Park (KOR)
Jocelyn Hong (NZL)
Alexandra Trusova (RUS)
Gabriella Izzo (USA)
Paige Rydberg (USA)
Bradie Tennell (USA)
Sierra Venetta (USA)

Men
Morisi Kvitelashvili (GEO)
Alexei Bychenko (ISR)
Mark Gorodnitsky (ISR)
Daniel Samohin (ISR)
Donovan Carrillo (MEX)
Christopher Caluza (PHI)
Jimmy Ma (USA)
Maxim Naumov (USA)
Eric Sjoberg (USA)
Dinh Tran (USA)

Ice Dance
Tina Garabedian and Simon Proulx Senecal (ARM)
Chantelle Kerry and Andrew Dodds (AUS)
Shira Ichilov and Laurent Abecassis (ISR)
Mariia Nosovitskaya and Mikhail Nosovitskiy (ISR)
Maxine Weatherby and Temirlan Yerzhanov (KAZ)
Yura Min and Daniel Eaton (KOR)
Diana Davis and Gleb Smolkin (RUS)
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker (USA)
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue (USA)
Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov (USA)
Eva Pate and Logan Bye (USA)

Source: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-us-international-figure-skating-classic.aspx

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My first thought when I saw the entry list was to calculate how many of the skaters will score half the points (or less) of Trusova. Haha