2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Free Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Free Dance

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, they did look happy today :) They can be proud of themselves. They along with Piper and Paul are so creative with what they bring to the ice. It's a privilege to watch them 🥰

But even if you take out the top 3 that was a beautiful competition! So many great dances both funky and serious. The men were a bit of a ballad fest, but the ice dancers kept me on my toes :)

The US has 3 spots for dance at Worlds right? I hope Kaitlin and Jean-Luc get to the Olympics one day :)
Yes 3 spots. Maybe NBC will even put their MASTERPIECE on YouTube.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ok I am too angry to sleep. A pox on ALL the judges houses I say.
Yes be careful! I keep getting mad regarding certain events here and it takes a lot out of you :(

Maybe watch some favourite programs to cheer yourself up? Or vent your rage on a piece of paper.

I feel a bit hypocritical suggesting these things since I've failed so hard at following them myself, but I feel I should :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes be careful! I keep getting mad regarding certain events here and it takes a lot out of you :(

Maybe watch some favourite programs to cheer yourself up? Or vent your rage on a piece of paper.

I feel a bit hypocritical suggesting these things since I've failed so hard at following them myself, but I feel I should :)
I am currently tweeting to them and awarding them the gold medal of my heart. I will then go watch Gracies triumphant return to Nationals LAST year and her happy tears. I will then watch one of the 12 or so gymnastics meets that have accumulated in the past 2 days. Spray some “Zen Garden” around.

sworddance21

On the Ice
So - serious question here. Can someone who is more knowledgeable about the technique and scoring of ice dance explain to me why Hawayek and Baker are always so far behind C/B and H/D? I just don't understand it. I understand singles and pairs scoring so much better and I can usually understand under the scoring system why a program I find pleasing might not be scoring as high as another. For the life of me, I do not understand why Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are consistently 3rd.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So - serious question here. Can someone who is more knowledgeable about the technique and scoring of ice dance explain to me why Hawayek and Baker are always so far behind C/B and H/D? I just don't understand it. I understand singles and pairs scoring so much better and I can usually understand under the scoring system why a program I find pleasing might not be scoring as high as another. For the life of me, I do not understand why Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are consistently 3rd.
Hopefully Ic3rabbit is still around to answer you. And welcome to the boards.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Hopefully Ic3rabbit is still around to answer you. And welcome to the boards.

For no reason that I can explain other than the judges especially in the US have a thing for CB's as shown tonight. That twizzle sequence was NOT a level 4.

H/D did everything perfectly and deserved the win, H/B should have gotten the silver, and it's a damn shame they did not. Politics do occur sadly and it was seen tonight.

sworddance21

On the Ice
For no reason that I can explain other than the judges especially in the US have a thing for CB's as shown tonight. That twizzle sequence was NOT a level 4.

H/D did everything perfectly and deserved the win, H/B should have gotten the silver, and it's a damn shame they did not. Politics do occur sadly and it was seen tonight.
Thank you. I know there is politics in all the disciplines but it seems tenfold in dance. I just love H/B and I often wonder if there are skating skills things I just don't see, but I don't think so.

NAOTMAA

Medalist

I think the USFSA always had a thing for C/B. When they first got together I remember they were presented, and clearly were being groomed, as the successors to D/W. They got a huge push out of it. Then they started to struggle and the USFSA had to look elsewhere but since they seem to have gotten their act together the USFSA is jumping back on the wagon.

edit: I remember there was a time when they were not popular online at all. First off due to the way they came together as a team and second due to the clear and obvious favoritism shown to them by the USFSA which many felt was undeserved and at the expense to other teams

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The US has a very talented Ice Dance field. So many beautiful performances tonight and some great up and coming teams. I am over the moon that my favs came out on top. Have already watched Madi and Zach's FD 3 times. It gives me chills every time. THREE TIME US Ice Dance Champions. Pretty cool.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you. I know there is politics in all the disciplines but it seems tenfold in dance. I just love H/B and I often wonder if there are skating skills things I just don't see, but I don't think so.
You are welcome. As a former competitive ice dancer, I have a soft spot for H/B and especially love watching Jean-Luc, that man has fabulous skating skills. I also love H/D and I do like C/B's and especially the snake FD, but it just wasn't there tonight.

And I have my eye on Green/Parsons, because Michael has improved and can move so well.

sworddance21

On the Ice
You are welcome. As a former competitive ice dancer, I have a soft spot for H/B and especially love watching Jean-Luc, that man has fabulous skating skills. I also love H/D and I do like C/B's and especially the snake FD, but it just wasn't there tonight.

And I have my eye on Green/Parsons, because Michael has improved and can move so well.
I may be the only person alive who isn't wild about the snake dance. I recognize its innovation, but it doesn't speak to me. H/D have really grown on me and I like their Hallelujah. I like the passion with which they skate. I think H/B - and yes, especially Jean-Luc are always so INTERESTING to watch. His carriage reminds me of Jason Brown.

I really enjoyed Green/ Parsons tonight, too!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I may be the only person alive who isn't wild about the snake dance. I recognize its innovation, but it doesn't speak to me. H/D have really grown on me and I like their Hallelujah. I like the passion with which they skate. I think H/B - and yes, especially Jean-Luc are always so INTERESTING to watch. His carriage reminds me of Jason Brown.
Jean-luc's carriage reminds me more of past favourites: Christopher Dean and Scott Moir.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
H/B were mesmerizing. I love the program because it is seamlessly choreographed to the music rather than blocks of elements put on top of music as a lot of programs are.
I wish they would judge what is skated on the ice rather than by reputation. Disappointed but not surprised.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I really enjoyed Green/ Parsons tonight, too!
No. The snake dance makes me want to poke my own eyes out.