2021 Worlds are still on | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds are still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallingwater

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
I would of course take the Astra Zenica vaccine if offered. In actual use the data so far suggests its is as effective as any other. Compared to Pfizer, it appears slightly less effective in preventing all infection, more effective in preventing serious infection and equally effective in preventing transmission.

All of the vaccines in use are highly effective and any differences are not material in the field.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
karne, do you personally want the AZ vaccine? Many countries are kinda shunning it. New Zealand, is going with Pfizer only, the more (most?) expensive option.
Why should I not? Unlike other countries that rushed their approvals, the TGA put the vaccines through the rigorous full approval process. The TGA has an impeccable reputation for a very good reason.

The most vulnerable are getting Pfizer. I am less vulnerable. I will take AstraZenica, especially once the Australian-made doses enter circulation. But I will not be eligible for some time yet, given I am category 2B.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Hope this isn't considered spam since many don't venture past The Edge, but color-coded schedule for Worlds is up.
Thank you!
They had announced many months ago that the third rink would be only for some practice by Pairs, but I wondered if they wouldn't use it also to make smaller training groups of others for better social distancing, I suppose it was not allowed by ISU practice rules for Worlds, indeed it would have made slight differences between athletes. It is very good already that there is a third rink so near.

pearly

Record Breaker
Thank you!
They had announced many months ago that the third rink would be only for some practice by Pairs, but I wondered if they wouldn't use it also to make smaller training groups of others for better social distancing, I suppose it was not allowed by ISU practice rules for Worlds, indeed it would have made slight differences between athletes. It is very good already that there is a third rink so near.
I remember there was a competition some years ago where the practice rink's ceiling was too low for pairs. I want to say it was in Helsinki, but not sure. I feel as if it was an underground rink below the main one. And you can't have pairs practice twice per day on the MR because that means other competitors don't get their one practice there per day, therefore a third rink.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I remember there was a competition some years ago where the practice rink's ceiling was too low for pairs. I want to say it was in Helsinki, but not sure. I feel as if it was an underground rink below the main one. And you can't have pairs practice twice per day on the MR because that means other competitors don't get their one practice there per day, therefore a third rink.
Quite logical if one think about how Pairs skate. But I hadn't. :biggrin:

Azikin

Medalist
I would of course take the Astra Zenica vaccine if offered. In actual use the data so far suggests its is as effective as any other. Compared to Pfizer, it appears slightly less effective in preventing all infection, more effective in preventing serious infection and equally effective in preventing transmission.

All of the vaccines in use are highly effective and any differences are not material in the field.
Seven European countries – Denmark, Norway, Austria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Luxembourg – have suspended all or part of their AstraZeneca vaccine roll-out as a precaution while they investigate concerns relating to blood clots.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Crown princess Victoria was going to open the WC, but the Swedish Royal House just confirmed now that the Crown Princess and Prince Daniel tested positive for Covid-19. So she might not...
See, this is part of my point and my frustration.

This shouldn't be "she might not". This should have been the Royal House putting out a statement saying "The Princess has had to regretfully cancel her appearance at...." Not "she might not"!

Also, some bubble this is going to be if Princesses were allowed in.

Amei

Record Breaker

This shouldn't be "she might not". This should have been the Royal House putting out a statement saying "The Princess has had to regretfully cancel her appearance at...." Not "she might not"!

Well there's almost 2 weeks till worlds, video speeches are a thing and I would imagine the plan if she's still sick (like testing positive) but feels okay she'll do a video speech, if she sick and not feeling well somebody else will do her speech ), or if she's better and testing negative (hopefully a couple of negative tests to minimize the chance of a false negative) then she'll still do her little speech in person. I doubt she was ever going to be rubbing elbows with the skaters and likely everyone is going to be wearing masks.

Skatesocs

Final Flight

If Her Royal Highness were to enter the bubble then the skaters would be Royally Screwed!

lovestiger oak

Spectator
The low ceiling was in Helsinki. I sT next to the mother of poge. The low ceiling affected dance also.

Fallingwater

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Seven European countries – Denmark, Norway, Austria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Luxembourg – have suspended all or part of their AstraZeneca vaccine roll-out as a precaution while they investigate concerns relating to blood clots.
Rhetorically speaking, do you find this temporary suspension an appropriate response by these governments?

Blood clots are a common condition. According to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) 22 cases of blood clots out of 3 million people vaccinated with Astra Zeneca is no higher than would be seen in people who haven't had the vaccine. The EMA recommends its continued use.

I infer that politicians in these countries governments are more concerned with giving the appearance of doing the right thing, being fearful of the influence of anti-vax groups, than actually doing the right thing.

Given the impact these vaccines are already having on infections and death rates in jurisdictions where the roll-outs are proceeding efficiently it is likely that the temporary suspension will on the face of it cost lives. On the other hand it may reduce the influence of anti-vax groups such that more people consent to vaccination in the long term.

Reactions: DSQ

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
22 cases of blood clots out of 3 million people vaccinated with Astra Zeneca is no higher than would be seen in people who haven't had the vaccine
That’s actually a lower number than normal blood clot statistics so if anything, the vaccine is preventing more blood clots. You actually have a much higher chance of getting a blood clot from COVID or even from widely accepted medications like Birth Control. It’s crazy they suspended the vaccine over this.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
FYI, Austria lifted the AZ suspension again. There was one death and two hospitalizations because of blood clots after vaccination with AZ, all from one batch. The affected batch was taken out of circulation, but apart from that, vaccination with AZ continues as planned.

Country
Norway
Rhetorically speaking, do you find this temporary suspension an appropriate response by these governments?

Blood clots are a common condition. According to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) 22 cases of blood clots out of 3 million people vaccinated with Astra Zeneca is no higher than would be seen in people who haven't had the vaccine. The EMA recommends its continued use.

I infer that politicians in these countries governments are more concerned with giving the appearance of doing the right thing, being fearful of the influence of anti-vax groups, than actually doing the right thing.

Given the impact these vaccines are already having on infections and death rates in jurisdictions where the roll-outs are proceeding efficiently it is likely that the temporary suspension will on the face of it cost lives. On the other hand it may reduce the influence of anti-vax groups such that more people consent to vaccination in the long term.

We need such cases of temporary suspension to ensure that vaccines are safe. In general it´s a good system, this is the way we can rely that all possible severe side effects with vaccine have been taken seriously. So just let them work and check-up it´s safe. It´s like you say, only temporary, and if they found it´s safe then the process will go further very quick.

It may sound meaningless because blood cloths is common side effect with other issues, and also if you get Covid, but next time there might be an issue that´s not that common. You can´t just decide to investigate possible side effects because they are common or not.

So in Norway they are also investigating a death of 30 year old women, who died 10 days after the first dose AZ. She died of cerebral hemorrhage, a very sudden condition. They are not indicating that the AZ is the cause, probably in such cases the woman was genetically predisposed, but because it happended only 10 days after and she was very young, the have to investigate the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.