2021 Worlds: Pairs' FS "Thoughts and Observations" | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Pairs' FS "Thoughts and Observations"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

WOW! I feel bad for Boikova/Kozlovskii but happy for Mishina and Galliamov! Wonderful performance for Sui and Han who haven't competed this year. Tarasova and Mozorov are still strong and I hope they bounce back next season. What a great come-back for Canada's Moore-Towers and Marinaro!

What are your thoughts on the Pairs event overall?

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Who knew?

"We are the champions" indeed - and they skated like it. This is the first time I really felt this program (I've always loved their short).

Congratulations to all the medalists!

Love you, B/K!:)

readernick

Medalist
Loved the top 5 pairs. Not competitive technically today but Peng/ Jin are so good! Just fabulous choreography and performance.

T/M are pure quality, although it is sad they always seem to give it away.

B/ K seemed to have it in the bag after the SP, but being favorites is hard! That LP was not up to their usual standard.

S/ H component wise, performance wise were amazing. They would have won with rotated SBS. I think Sui will be killing it next year. That girl is a fighter.

M/G were the best technically and I like their partnership. I don't like this program but the SP was great and I thought they were a bit underscored in that segment.

Outside the top 5, K/F and the Japanese are the teams who have the most potential imho. K/F deservedly got great GOE on every element they didn't botch and the Japanese team has improved so much that I think they will be even better next year.

Good event, surprising result.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've been ubering Anastasia ever since the "previous partner said she was too fat" days, so I was thrilled to see her and Galliamov take the gold, even if it was quite an unexpected result. I guess the "We Are the Champions"s song wasn't presumptious at all.

I'm detecting the possibility of a blowup at the Moskvina camp, though, because both of B/K (especially Boikova) were looking pretty resentful after the competition was over.

I always questioned whether it was a good idea for Sui & Han to keep this free skate after the brilliance in Saitama, but this was the closest they've yet come to replicating that. It wasn't quite enough this time around due to the jumps (it would have been with one less UR, probably). Which also establishes that M/G's 3-3 in the free skate is a lethal threat to the Chinese teams, for whom jumping has been reliably unreliable.

Knierim & Frazier looked great in domestic competitions all season, but kind of looked more like the first-year team they are when competing internationally. It's a bit of a comedown, but on the whole they did fine.

I hope that KMT & Marinaro can take the time off before next season to regain the progress they had made on their triple twist before the lockdowns and KMT's apparent injuries in the autumn. They ended up with a respectable placement after the struggles yesterday (as did the Italians).

I'm really disappointed for how things worked out for the Germans here, because now they have only one Olympic spot and I really like both Hocke/Kunkel and Hase/Seegert.

The new Georgian team has potential.

I'm detecting the possibility of a blowup at the Moskvina camp, though, because both of B/K (especially Boikova) were looking pretty resentful after the competition was over.
THIS. The way she reacted after the scores showed up is really disrespectful also to Moskvina !!
Its not like M/G caused them to lose, the mistakes was their own doing. I too sense dramatic jealousy brewing..

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
M/G were amazing! I love that they essentially won it because of that 3S+3S series. Sui/Han were lovely and great after a year off but M/G won it. B/K unfortunately had a meltdown but wasn't a fan of her reaction in the KnC.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, I talked at length about scores so enough of that.
As S/H were fresh off yet another break from injury recovery, this looks very good for them next season. You know they'll be hungry. I wonder if they'll add back the 4twist if they stay fit; the quality of it never declined, they just couldn't catch a break with injuries to keep it in. That may be a crucial point advantage if things get close (as they do).
Good for M/G. They have more polishing to do on choreo and SS for that tip-top pair polish, but obviously, they're skilled and gutsy. Not skating-related but they seem like sweet and likable people.
B/K - well, things happen when you're expected to win after a big SP finish but lack the experience at worlds. They should use this experience as good fuel for next season.
T/M - I'm sorry, but, like others have said, I don't feel like they love-love skating. They seem like very talented people who feel obliged to compete.
Shout-out to the Hungarians early on who I quite enjoyed, and the Georgian team who seem very promising. I believe they're only 21 and 16.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Surprises! Usually I don't like surprises but today I did, though not the negative ones. In my (not that knowledgeable) opinion I totally agreed with the outcome. I was really rooting for Tarasova and Morosov (I put them in first in my predictions) but they did not skate to their ability. Such a pity, as I love their programme. I felt sorry for them. Mishina and Galliamov made me smile. I know not everyone likes that programme, but I do. Just like yesterday I felt it was so refreshing. And, technically superb. Maybe not as sophisticated as Sui/Han or Tarasova/Morosov - it has a feel of the young guns enjoying themselves, and I enjoyed it with them. And, no mistakes either. I love Sui/Han and especially this programme which is one of their best. But...even great skaters can have a bit of an off day. It wasn't bad (their dedication and expression is second to none) and their mistakes didn't take away from the programme as a whole, but they did make mistakes. I felt sorry for Boikova/Kovloskii but they actually were lucky today that T/M did not skate well, so they still got a medal. It probably feels differently to them - but at least they can comfort each other (and they did). I love the Cloud Atlas programme from Peng/Jin and I truly love their chemistry together but - again - there were mistakes. I was so happy for MT/M. after that horrible experience in the SP, they definitely had a redemptive skate today and ended 6th (which is similar to their placement in 2018 which was their best placement ever). That's really good! I was happy for them. Knierim/Frazier showed some 'new pair' hiccups, but still ending 7th at your first worlds is not a bad result. And although quite a few people were hoping for the possibility of a third American couple at the Olympics, it's not a disaster. There was only one last time. I was so happy dM/G had a good skate. Not perfect, but they showed they are still a really good pair, and it's not for nothing the Italians will have two pairs at the OG again. Those lifts! C-G/L made me smile also. True, they weren't perfect, they made mistakes, but they were still top 10 (actually the exact same placement as two years ago when they were congratulated for their achievement) and they still have the best lines among the skaters. I really love their 'spirals' (not sure about the name, but everybody will know what I mean) that show how a little less difference in height can be shown to advantage. Mihura/Kihara: Yay! Need I say more? They dropped a few placements but were still a welcoming surprise. Ziegler/Kiefer: nothing spectacular but a good, solid skate and they've been improving continually. A lovely programme too. Walsh/Michaud didn't disappoint either. Good to see Canada deservedly has two spots and no need with pairs to go through the Nebelhorn process for OG spots. Hocke/Kunkel: sniff. I had so hoped for them to reach the top 10. It wasn't to be. Chtchetinina/Magyar: another Yay! Good for them.

Not the best Pairs event ever, but still some lovely skates. And to me at least Mishina/Galiamov won deservedly. While a girl who is supposed to celebrate, rather goes to sleep (great interview) gets a lot of of smiles, laughs and sympathy. I hope she sleeps well!

Fluture

Record Breaker
I‘m heartbroken but on the bright side my two favorites still won medals, just none of them the Gold.

M/G were technically brilliant but did nothing for me in terms of emotions/artistry. It‘s been known to happen. She seems like a sweet person, though, so I‘m not that mad about their win. Good for them.

S/H were in another league for me in terms of PCS but I guess judges disagreed. It is what it is, maybe this will push them to improve. I keep telling myself that S/M didn‘t win Worlds either in the pre-Olympic year. Considering that they haven‘t competed at all this season, this was still very respectable and showed why they‘re Champions.

B/K. Oh well. They were in a very, very difficult position. Expected to win after the short, skating last and still relatively inexperienced. They couldn‘t deliver but this will be a learning experience. I hope they stay with their coach, they have all the potential and no one knows how M/G will deal with the pressure of being the leaders next season. Too early to throw in the towel yet. As for her comments...not nice and a bit disappointing but I‘ve been salty for less dramatic things than losing Worlds. They‘re human, they’ll learn, it‘s not that big a deal, imo.

My favorites of the entire event were probably the Japanese team, though. Even with the fall, they just have so much potential and some really unique moves. I liked Z/K a lot as well, though that might be bias. P/J beautiful as always, shame for the sbs.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
M/G won deservedly, they delivered two cleanest programs together, they handled the pressure and that's what the champions must be able to do.

That doesn't take anything from S/H and if they are such champions as they are considered, they should take it as a challenge, not as some of their fans.

Similarly I think that B/K should appreciate the lesson and use it for their own good. From mistakes you learn most. They are as young as M/G, even younger and everybody agrees that the career in pairs can last to thirties so they have pleeenty of time to win gold. They have all the prequisitions to be world or olympic champions.

Sad for T/M, I'm afraid they'll never win worlds, because their usual problems are still there. It is sad to see a pair with such great qualities and prequisitions to always make such mistakes. They usually don't bomb, because they are too good for it, but they simply usually don't deliver two clean skates at one big event. I'm thinking they should use service of some good sport psychologist, because it's in their heads, not in their abilities.

zytolda

On the Ice
I've been ubering Anastasia ever since the "previous partner said she was too fat" days, so I was thrilled to see her and Galliamov take the gold, even if it was quite an unexpected result. I guess the "We Are the Champions"s song wasn't presumptious at all.

I always questioned whether it was a good idea for Sui & Han to keep this free skate after the brilliance in Saitama, but this was the closest they've yet come to replicating that. It wasn't quite enough this time around due to the jumps (it would have been with one less UR, probably). Which also establishes that M/G's 3-3 in the free skate is a lethal threat to the Chinese teams, for whom jumping has been reliably unreliable.

Knierim & Frazier looked great in domestic competitions all season, but kind of looked more like the first-year team they are when competing internationally. It's a bit of a comedown, but on the whole they did fine.

I hope that KMT & Marinaro can take the time off before next season to regain the progress they had made on their triple twist before the lockdowns and KMT's apparent injuries in the autumn. They ended up with a respectable placement after the struggles yesterday (as did the Italians).

I'm really disappointed for how things worked out for the Germans here, because now they have only one Olympic spot and I really like both Hocke/Kunkel and Hase/Seegert.

The new Georgian team has potential.
I have been always rooting for Anastasia after that comment from previous partner. She is on fire . Go girl

sunn1ly

On the Ice
First I want to congratulate for the great sportsmenhip of Sui Han . They cheered and started clapping on Mishina and Galliamov first during the awarding. :) On the contrary of many others) they know how to take the second place with grace :) .They did great I love them and I am happy that yet another year they are on top of their game.

I tend to be fan of M/G so I was happy with what they showed and being champions was just a nice surprise for me, but so well deserved. They had the best technical elements and were impressive but I never thought they would let them win in their first worlds. They won with their technical content and having champions nerves.

I feel sorry for B/K tasting the win and getting slipped away, but it is normal they are so young. It's ok to be frustrated even more because their team mates won over them and not the experienced couples.

T/M with all their potential and huge elements yet again couldn't cope with the pressure. I am hoping they will stay around and have their chance.

I am also fan of the Amircan couples and I am happy for Alexa and Brandon and what they showed on their first worlds. They had the pressure and the expectations for the Olympic quota being national champions and yet still young couple and getting to know and used to compete together. So they did wonderful. Ashley and Tim were also great coming as alternative and showing so good performance and unique elements and sas :) .

kirauza343

On the Ice
If Japan can’t fill the 2nd pair spot is it re-allocated?
I’m pretty sure it’s provisional so they’ll have to send a team to Nebelhorn to confirm it (which I don’t think they have a team that can) otherwise yeah it’s reallocated.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
As an S/H uber, I've always been more "afraid" of B/K upsetting them than M/G so this was an interesting result. I get people are dazzled by M/G's 3-jump combo and all the lunges he does on the ice are nice but the rest of their elements are so average to me. I do think they were overscored here, particularly in PCS, but it is nice when the winner goes clean and the competition doesn't come down to just "who messed up the least."

I definitely agree S/H are still looking great and this will surely compel them to be even better to win their home Olympics, which is the true goal. I think they needed this competition just to get their feet under them again, but they didn't need the win. It is a little heartbreaking that it was so close and they should have still won gold, IMO. But with peaks and valleys in this sport, better to have a valley now and a peak a year from now.

I hope this isn't the end of the line for T/M, who are still my favorite Russian pair (Denis and Daria are my #2).

Peng/Jin had the worst luck yesterday and this year is basically a wash for them so I hope they just forget about this competition and start prepping for next year. They still have the potential to medal at their home Olympics as well. I wonder what Team China can do about the jumps... Athletes from all the disciplines have been working with a lot of foreign coaches lately, maybe one of them can help.

I'm glad both Canadian pairs did well in the free too, particularly Kirsten and Michael who rebounded from such a disastrous short. Evelyn and Trennt just keep getting better and I'm looking forward to seeing them rise and start challenging the top teams down the line.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I’m proud of Sui and Han! They’ve had a lot of obstacles this past year and they still did really well! My heart is broken for Boikova and Koslovskii. I’m in the minority but I really enjoy their James Bond program and to see it’s potentially last outing go like that is sad. I hope both teams mentioned above come back fighting next year, would love for the Olympic top two to be these guys!

Overall this pairs competition wasn’t at as high of a level as we’ve seen in the past, but a lot of that can be attributed to most of the field not competing more than once with the exception of the Americans and Russians...

(PCS were a mess but that is a discussion for another day)

Miriam090

Rinkside
I would love to know what Moskvina thought of what Boikova said to her in the kiss&cry... I get that they were upset but the way she said it and stormed off - not the best look. It's such a shame B/K couldn't keep it together today. They're lucky they still got a medal in the end, but their SP really was delightful so I'm glad they got theat moment at least.

I'm delighted for Nastya and Sasha, they were on fire today. To keep their nerve and skate like that in their first senior ISU championship!! All props to them. I fall in love with their transitions more and more every time I see them skate. And to be the youngest pairs world champions since G/G - incredible!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I would love to know what Moskvina thought of what Boikova said to her in the kiss&cry... I get that they were upset but the way she said it and stormed off - not the best look. It's such a shame B/K couldn't keep it together today. They're lucky they still got a medal in the end, but their SP really was delightful so I'm glad they got theat moment at least.

I'm delighted for Nastya and Sasha, they were on fire today. To keep their nerve and skate like that in their first senior ISU championship!! All props to them. I fall in love with their transitions more and more every time I see them skate. And to be the youngest pairs world champions since G/G - incredible!
Moskvina has the experience of 80 y.o. lady who is a coaching legend, I think she must have seen such reaction many times in her life. She can just say "my girl, I was training champions when your parents were still learning how to lace their boots."

Last edited: