2021 Worlds: Pairs' FS "Thoughts and Observations" | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Pairs' FS "Thoughts and Observations"

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I can hardly take the inclusion of Mishkutenok/Dimitriev, Sale/Pelletier, Babilonia/Gardner (?!), Underhill/Martini (?!!) or even Pang/Tong seriously with Shen/Zhao, Sui/Han and Gordeeva/Grinkov, lol. Rodnina/Zaitsev and Belousova/Protopopov weren't even doing the same kind of choreography that the ones who came later than them were - for them it was very much simply connecting skating elements together than overall choreography and interpretation.
Bridge over Troubled Water

Don't forget that this was great choreography WITH a quad.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Are you asking me to show you any written evidence now?
Obviously, I didn't ask for 'written evidence.' You mentioned this, so I'm interested in hearing what exactly you know about 'pent-up grievances' held by Boikova. I'm aware that there's always a lot of Russian figure skating drama among various training camps, coaches, and skating personalities. But what you mentioned surely begs for specific clarification, if you have the details. I'm not sitting in judgment on you for making that statement. Again, I'm simply asking questions for clarity. I think it's always a good idea to bring clarity and specifics to cut down on gossip and hearsay that only fuels more drama.

You answered with something Koslovskii shouted on the ice, which to me seems to evidence a fierce rivalry. His words seemingly also reveal feelings that B/K have which aren't positive in regard to Moskvina taking on coaching and helping their direct rivals. It also shows some immaturity and lack of sportsmanship by Boikova/Koslovskii, which doesn't bode well for them. Hopefully, B/K will get over this fit of pique and concentrate on trying to further improve and on finding out how to skate well under tremendous pressure.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You're underrating S/H and overrating the others, including Gordeeva/Grinkov. When they won the Olympics in 1988, they were very young and didn't have great artistry. They became more mature over the years, but they also became more inconsistent technically after gaining artistic refinement, and they were never able to do SBS Triple jump. Grinkov was never the most expressive performer either. Han displays more versatility. For that matter, so does Sui compared to Gordeeva. G/G did have really stunning glide over the ice and unison though, that aspect of their skating is probably still the best ever in Pairs.

S/H throughout their career they've shown some the best technical ability ever (only pair to do multiple clean Quads in a program) and some of the best artistry ever (Blues for Klook, Bridge over Troubled Water). In terms of intricacy of choreography they are unmatched by anyone else to date too.

I'm going to take my response to the Worldwide Pairs thread as it's going off topic here.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
G/G were the first to ever perform a quad twist, but they abandoned it because the scoring at that time did not reward such a risky element. I'm not aware of S/H performing sbs quad jumps, or quad throws in competition. If they have, I'd be happy to know more about it.

G/G quad twist was significantly underrotated, it shouldn't be considered the first real one.

S/H performed the throw 4Sal many times, starting in 2010 and up through 2016. Saying you're not aware of them ever doing it is very puzzling.

S/H are, at their best, technically brilliant, exciting and fun to watch. They have a pure, determined strength of will, and when in-the-zone, they are also mesmerizing. But I don't see them as aesthetic giants. S/H chiefly are incredible with the technical 'tricks,' and they have a great connection. Sui has a phenomenal personality. But S/H have only grown aesthetically in recent years with the assistance of their mentors, Shen/Zhao, one of the great pairs teams, who built their success over years of striving. I find S/Z's creative rise much more interesting and influential than S/H's, but that's just me.

S/H bring a fleetness of foot in their skating that is unmatched by any other pair in history IMO, they are better dancers than any other pairs team. The way they balance the weight of the performances between both of them is really lovely too. It's not just the guy presenting the girl, the typical gender conformation. Both of them constantly add in their own expression, their own story.

Shen/Zhao are wonderful, and their story is probably the most epic ever, but they never got those SBS spins to a high quality and I don't see the same versatility from them.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
LOL. I erased my response, but you apparently caught it before I deleted it in order to take it to the Worldwide Pairs thread. I had to recreate my response there because I lost the transmission on the way there. ;)

Once again, though, the conversation is off-topic in this thread, so please take it to the other thread.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You're underrating S/H and overrating the others, including Gordeeva/Grinkov. When they won the Olympics in 1988, they were very young and didn't have great artistry. They became more mature over the years, but they also became more inconsistent technically after gaining artistic refinement, and they were never able to do SBS Triple jump. Grinkov was never the most expressive performer either. Han displays more versatility. For that matter, so does Sui compared to Gordeeva. G/G did have really stunning glide over the ice and unison though, that aspect of their skating is probably still the best ever in Pairs.

S/H throughout their career they've shown some the best technical ability ever (only pair to do multiple clean Quads in a program) and some of the best artistry ever (Blues for Klook, Bridge over Troubled Water). In terms of intricacy of choreography they are unmatched by anyone else to date too.

Which competition did they land two clean quads (twist and throw) in one program? The closest I can find is 4CC 2012 where the twist was clean and she two footed the throw.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It was a Chinese competition, trying to remember the year, it's harder to search for those vids.