2022 CS Golden Spin of Zagreb Women's Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 CS Golden Spin of Zagreb Women's Short Program

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So when someone on here talks about a skater being their "daughter", is that a way of saying they're a big fan and cheer the skater on like it's their own child?

I can't speak to daughters, as I don't follow the ladies.

But as someone who has filed adoption papers for more than one skating son, you are very very close. IME, not just a big fan (I'm a huuuuge fan of Jason Brown, but he is not a skating "son", whereas Andrew Torgashev who I first started following when he was 14, would be a skating son) but someone you see early, someone you "adopt" because they speak to your heart, and you follow regardless of results. ;)

This year I filed adoption papers for 13 year old Kirk Haugeto, but I have lots of competition.

And a very light hearted subject of banter in comp threads.

Sorry, a little OT since I can't speak to the ladies, but I hope this helps. :)

Country
United-States
I can't speak to daughters, as I don't follow the ladies.

But as someone who has filed adoption papers for more than one skating son, you are very very close. IME, not just a big fan (I'm a huuuuge fan of Jason Brown, but he is not a skating "son", whereas Andrew Torgashev who I first started following when he was 14, would be a skating son) but someone you see early, someone you "adopt" because they speak to your heart, and you follow regardless of results. ;)

This year I filed adoption papers for 13 year old Kirk Haugeto, but I have lots of competition.

And a very light hearted subject of banter in comp threads.

Sorry, a little OT since I can't speak to the ladies, but I hope this helps. :)
Thanks for the explanation.

I recently became a fan of young Sofia Lexi Jacqueline Frank. She's still a junior, so it might not be too late to start the adoption process. She has a chance to win her first international competition tomorrow (Asian Open), but unfortunately, Dad can't be there due to there not being a stream.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally had a chance to check out the results- wow, so happy for Bradie , trending in right direction.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Often when somebody says "she is my daughter, I have adopted her" means that this forum member has started the fan fest thread for the skater. I have seen it used also by fans, but concentration is that starting the fan fest is the original meaning.

rain

Record Breaker
Thrilled to see Bradie did so well. I love her material this year and think she's come back as a mature skater who understands and gets every nuance out of her choreography (not a huge fan of the voiceover in the free, but I'm willing to overlook it). Glad to see Maddie's still in it, with a tying score, so it will come down to the FS for the podium. I'm still waiting to see her really attack a full competition this season. I think for her it's a mental game — she seems to be able to do everything, she's just playing mind games with herself.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So when someone on here talks about a skater being their "daughter", is that a way of saying they're a big fan and cheer the skater on like it's their own child?

In short, yes!

There's actually a story behind this terminology.

Back in 2015, the Fan Fest Froum was still in it's early stages. To try to build it up, the administrators started a campaign to encourage members to start threads for more skaters. And the title of the thread that launched the campaign used the phrase "please adopt an orphan".

This idea caught on, and we started referring to skaters whose Fan Fests we run as being our "children"; our "daughters" and our "sons". And to ourselves as their "parents".

Suffice to say, I really got into creating Fan Fests, and ended up adopting a lot of skaters. When one of my Russian friends on here jokingly asked just how many children I had, I replied by making out a "family tree". Although it was a joke, it was also useful as it meant that I had an index that I could go to and easily click through to my threads rather than having to search for them.

Then @elektra blue came along, and started referring to skaters she supported as being her children regardless of whether she ran a Fan Fest for them or not. (She's Italian, so she has a strong maternal instinct). And that caught on too!

Because elektra and I are such good friends, we like winding each other up. And sometimes we do it by means of our "children".

So, I hope that helps explain one of the idiosyncrasies of GS.

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
She's Italian, so she has a strong maternal instinct).
what a nice way to describe my addiction :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: to think that i don't know what to do with children in real life, i just freeze :LOL: i made some progress with Gianluca this year, i can hold him (even though he likes to chew my hand :LOL:)

@Agent Michael Scarn you have to know that i'm a stupid person and in the live chat (wich i pester every season) i invented many jokes and new words over the years. some of them stuck

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the explanation.

I recently became a fan of young Sofia Lexi Jacqueline Frank. She's still a junior, so it might not be too late to start the adoption process. She has a chance to win her first international competition tomorrow (Asian Open), but unfortunately, Dad can't be there due to there not being a stream.
You can adopt her. Sometimes you don't notice a skater when they first hit the scene.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
what a nice way to describe my addiction :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: to think that i don't know what to do with children in real life, i just freeze :LOL:

Same here. I try to avoid them.

i made some progress with Gianluca this year, i can hold him (even though he likes to chew my hand :LOL:)

That's because he knows that the hand of Auntie E will be providing him with good meals for many years to come. :biggrin:

What is it they say? "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach". And that is true even when they are only a year or so old!

@Agent Michael Scarn you have to know that i'm a stupid person and in the live chat (wich i pester every season) i invented many jokes and new words over the years. some of them stuck

And we would be lost without you. The thing that annoys me most about being behind in the Senior GP Series is that I am missing reading your posts and joining in the banter with you.

But, you're not stupid. That's me. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Dawn825

Medalist
Do we have protocols? I'm curious if bradie managed a triple triple, or if the judging was generous...

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Do we have protocols? I'm curious if bradie managed a triple triple, or if the judging was generous...
We do have protocols ☺️ Bradie did a 3Lz+2T, everything else clean and level 4.

Scoring certainly seems to have maybe been a bit generous, especially compared to a number of other competitions this season, but hard to tell without having any videos to compare the scores to.🤔

Country
United-States
In short, yes!

There's actually a story behind this terminology.

Back in 2015, the Fan Fest Froum was still in it's early stages. To try to build it up, the administrators started a campaign to encourage members to start threads for more skaters. And the title of the thread that launched the campaign used the phrase "please adopt an orphan".

This idea caught on, and we started referring to skaters whose Fan Fests we run as being our "children"; our "daughters" and our "sons". And to ourselves as their "parents".

Suffice to say, I really got into creating Fan Fests, and ended up adopting a lot of skaters. When one of my Russian friends on here jokingly asked just how many children I had, I replied by making out a "family tree". Although it was a joke, it was also useful as it meant that I had an index that I could go to and easily click through to my threads rather than having to search for them.

Then @elektra blue came along, and started referring to skaters she supported as being her children regardless of whether she ran a Fan Fest for them or not. (She's Italian, so she has a strong maternal instinct). And that caught on too!

Because elektra and I are such good friends, we like winding each other up. And sometimes we do it by means of our "children".

So, I hope that helps explain one of the idiosyncrasies of GS.

CaroLiza_fan
A fan fest thread for Sofia LJF was already created by moonvine back in August. But maybe moonvine will let me have partial custody. Maybe weekend visitations at least.

On that note, I saw the Asian Open results and am proud of my prospective daughter.