2022 European Championships: Pairs Short Program | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2022 European Championships: Pairs Short Program

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
They really need to have mandatory -GOE at least in the SP. Too many teams get away with touchdown and getting positive GOE while other teams (who are still doing the things to get GOE bullets mind you but not being acknowledged because they're not from a big fed) are getting the same GOE for clean jumps as the Russians get for flawed jumps.
I again disagree with you. If you have that amount of height and that amount of distance in the jumps, it is logically harder to control them on the landing. So, you are starting with much higher risk - higher mark and with the deduction for the mistake you can still be in plus. If touchdown must be judged with negative GOE, everybody will jump like Satoko Myahara to avoid it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That is not correct at all. Touch down with one hand has a deduction of -1 to -2. So overall +1 or +2 is more than correct, because landing was not that bad (neither for + or -) and flow of the programme is not disturbed with it as there was no stop after it. That was literally the touch down and nothing else to deduct.
"Weak landing" is -1 to -3 (IMO it was at least a -2 on landing, given it was a nosedive and form break, and lack of flow).

The hand down is -1 to -2, and I'd say it's a -1 (it wasn't used for much support)

The GOE bullets are:
1. very good height and distance - YES
2. good take-off and landing - NO
3. effortless throughout (including rhythm in a combination or sequence) - NO
4. steps into a jump, unexpected or creative entry - NO
5. very good body position from take-off to landing - NO
6. element matches the music - NO (but sure, they're a top tier Russian team, so let's arbitrarily say that any throw of theirs matches the music).

Even if you were being excessively generous and saying T/M got 2 bullets to start with, the hand down and the weak landing immediately reduces it to zero GOE.... at best. Giving it a +2 is basically giving them the GOE bullets that they earned and ignoring the flaws on the landing.

It should be said .... GOE is earned... you don't start at a +5 and then deduct from there. If a jump isn't landed properly it automatically kills bullets 2, 4, 5 (and if it doesn't have 1-3, it can be +3 max).

With proper judging according to the GOE rules, that would receive 0 if you count the music bullet and -1 to -2 overall depending on how weak the landing seemed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I again disagree with you. If you have that amount of height and that amount of distance in the jumps, it is logically harder to control them on the landing. So, you are starting with much higher risk - higher mark and with the deduction for the mistake you can still be in plus. If touchdown must be judged with negative GOE, everybody will jump like Satoko Myahara to avoid it.
Height/distance is one GOE bullet. A bullet that is immediately negated by the touch down, mind you.

The throw wasn't effortless, and did not have proper landing position, and didn't have a good takeoff AND landing. And they didn't have any preceding steps. Even if you threw them a bone and gave them the amplitude bullet AND the match the music bullet, the GOE should be 0 at the very best and negative if we're being honest.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It show up that yes and no has cleary different meaning in Canada to the rest of the world. ;)

I should also add that it is good to know the rules, but it is also good to know to what the rules belong to. Those above are not throw jump bullets, which in fact are:

1) very good height and very good distance
2) good speed, flow and control on release and landing
3) effortless throughout

4) difficult, unexpected or creative entry
5) very good air position
6) element matches the music

IMO 1, 2, 5 and 6 are fulfilled, the base is then +3 to +4. Touch with one hand is -1 to -2. One judge gave 0, one +3, the rest was between +1 and +2 and I am very confident +2 is very justified.

Last edited:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
"Weak landing" is -1 to -3 (IMO it was at least a -2 on landing, given it was a nosedive and form break, and lack of flow).

The hand down is -1 to -2, and I'd say it's a -1 (it wasn't used for much support)

The GOE bullets are:
1. very good height and distance - YES
2. good take-off and landing - NO
3. effortless throughout (including rhythm in a combination or sequence) - NO
4. steps into a jump, unexpected or creative entry - NO
5. very good body position from take-off to landing - NO
6. element matches the music - NO (but sure, they're a top tier Russian team, so let's arbitrarily say that any throw of theirs matches the music).

Even if you were being excessively generous and saying T/M got 2 bullets to start with, the hand down and the weak landing immediately reduces it to zero GOE.... at best. Giving it a +2 is basically giving them the GOE bullets that they earned and ignoring the flaws on the landing.

It should be said .... GOE is earned... you don't start at a +5 and then deduct from there. If a jump isn't landed properly it automatically kills bullets 2, 4, 5 (and if it doesn't have 1-3, it can be +3 max).

With proper judging according to the GOE rules, that would receive 0 if you count the music bullet and -1 to -2 overall depending on how weak the landing seemed.
It is effortless, there is steps/entry, and element matched the music, so it is +4 to begin with, with deduction it is +2 (or +1). It is also a rule in judging GOE that you're taking into account the whole picture, rather than sum of its parts, so extreme height, extreme distance, extreme speed in a spin etc are changing the whole picture. I mean you can give it 0, or -1 or whatever else you want, but obviously system will take your score as a mistake and not count it in the overall score.

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/24665-isu-communication-2334/file

Bullets of throw jump (page 9 in PDF):
  1. very good height and very good distance (YES)
  2. good speed, flow and control on release and landing (NO? - due to landing)
  3. effortless throughout (NO? - due to landing)
  4. difficult, unexpected or creative entry (subjective? Entry wasn't unexpected or creative, but maybe difficulty?)
  5. very good air position (YES)
  6. element matches the music (subjective? I'm a stickler on this aspect, so I would be leaning toward a "Nah")

Applicable reductions (page 11 in the PDF) in this case:

Weak landing (bad pos./wrong edge/scratching etc) -1 to -3​
Touch down with one hand or free foot -1 to -2​

The starting GOE before reduction of this throw would hit 3 bullets. If you only apply -1 to both reduction, then the throw is a net +1 GOE for me.

Also, Bullet#2 has TOO MANY CRITERIA! The throw in question had good speed, good flow and control on release, but poor landing.... so how do you even tick this bullet? Seriously ISU, please fix your darn bullets!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It is effortless, there is steps/entry, and element matched the music, so it is +4 to begin with, with deduction it is +2 (or +1). I mean you can give it 0, or -1 or whatever else you want, but obviously system will take your score as a mistake and not count it in the overall score.
No it is not effortless throughout the element. She literally touches down her hand to support herself on the landing. How can that be considered "effortless"?!!?

There are no steps on entry, it's just crossovers, and no transition or creative entry. With deduction it is a minimum of -2 (if we're saying the hand down is -1 and the weak landing is only a -1).

And if you listen to it with the music it didn't match the phrasing or any musical highlight. Unless, as I said, you're of the impression that they could literally perform the element in any second of the program and it counts as matching the music.

(TBH it is an asinine GOE bullet and should be removed immediately because it's a freebie bullet to any top tier skater, whether they legit match the music or not). They might as well add to the GOE rules: give an extra GOE bullet to the element if they're from these countries, and deny them the extra GOE bullet if they're from these countries.

You're giving GOE bullets for things that literally didn't happen. By definition, a jump with a touchdown is not effortless... and certainly not a nosedive touchdown like what Evgenia had.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
No it is not effortless throughout the element. She literally touches down her hand to support herself on the landing. How can that be considered "effortless"?!!?

There are no steps on entry, it's just crossovers, and no transition or creative entry. With deduction it is a minimum of -2 (if we're saying the hand down is -1 and the weak landing is only a -1).

And if you listen to it with the music it didn't match the phrasing or any musical highlight. Unless, as I said, you're of the impression that they could literally perform the element in any second of the program and it counts as matching the music.

(TBH it is an asinine GOE bullet and should be removed immediately because it's a freebie bullet to any top tier skater, whether they legit match the music or not). They might as well add to the GOE rules: give an extra GOE bullet to the element if they're from these countries, and deny them the extra GOE bullet if they're from these countries.

You're giving GOE bullets for things that literally didn't happen. By definition, a jump with a touchdown is not effortless... and certainly not a nosedive touchdown like what Evgenia had.
Like i already wrote, it is still effortless because her touch down didn't stop the element, there is still flow/skating into another elements after it. And it certainly looked good in the air. The touch down happened only for one simple reason - because element included too much height and too much distance (comparing to the majority of other non-Russian teams throw jumps we saw) which is just much harder to control on the landing, but there was nothing wrong in the ongoing process of the element. And we can chat about the same thing again and again, but as you saw no any ISU judge would judge that element with a negative GOE.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/24665-isu-communication-2334/file

Bullets of throw jump (page 9 in PDF):
  1. very good height and very good distance (YES)
  2. good speed, flow and control on release and landing (NO? - due to landing)
  3. effortless throughout (NO? - due to landing)
  4. difficult, unexpected or creative entry (subjective? Entry wasn't unexpected or creative, but maybe difficulty?)
  5. very good air position (YES)
  6. element matches the music (subjective? I'm a stickler on this aspect, so I would be leaning toward a "Nah")

Applicable reductions (page 11 in the PDF) in this case:

Weak landing (bad pos./wrong edge/scratching etc) -1 to -3​
Touch down with one hand or free foot -1 to -2​

The starting GOE before reduction of this throw would hit 3 bullets. If you only apply -1 to both reduction, then the throw is a net +1 GOE for me.

Also, Bullet#2 has TOO MANY CRITERIA! The throw in question had good speed, good flow and control on release, but poor landing.... so how do you even tick this bullet? Seriously ISU, please fix your darn bullets!
Ah okay, so air position is 5 (was looking at the wrong list). So yeah, then with max GOE should be +1 at the very best, if you consider it to match the music -- which I agree that it didn't. And there was definitely no difficulty leading into this throw. It was a simple set up and cross cuts - no difficult turn, mini-lift, spread eagle, transition. They just went straight into it with a typical pairs setup.

I also think the weak landing was -2 due to both bad position (she keels forward and her back never straightens upright) and scratching on the blade. A -1 is more if the skater lands on the wrong edge, skids on their landing but doesn't touch down, balance check etc.

There is absolutely ZERO justification for T/M getting all those +2s. And it's something that is consistently given to them (+GOE for touchdowns). There were pairs in this competition who also did throws cleanly, that met these bullet criteria, but didn't get +2s. Shame, judges.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Like i already wrote, it is still effortless because her touch down didn't stop the element, there is still flow/skating into another elements after it. And it certainly looked good in the air. The touch down happened because element included too much height and too much distance, there was nothing wrong in the ongoing process of the element. And we can chat about the same thing again and again, but as you saw no any ISU judge would judge that element with a negative GOE.
That is not what effortless means. Effortless means you completed something without any issues/trouble/awkwardness/difficulty/etc. A hand down (supporting yourself by touching the ice) literally negates any suggestion that something is effortless.

This is what the same throw looks like when it's performed effortlessly. I deliberately used the same skaters and same program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0k8MnSTsEA#t=1m55s

The judges gave it mostly +4s — which is correct, IMO (hitting 1, 2, 3, 5 bullets). You can't tell me that the Euros 2022 version of this throw is a +2 (just 2 bullets less than this one) in terms of quality and execution -- already it's missing bullets #2, 3, and 4 ... and even at NHK T/M matched the music better (still not quite on the highlight but the throw was at the end of the phrase at least, whereas at Euros 2022 it was in the middle of it).

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks CaroLiza_fan.

I’m enjoying her commentary, she has a different take on things to Chris, she was giving an ice dance vibe. The one thing I’m struggling with is that they are talking during the performances, after a season of a lot Ted Barton commentary that is different but I’ll adjust.

Yeah, Ice Dancers do tend to have a different perspective on things to Singles skaters when they are commentating. And that is no bad thing.

I can relate to you about the talking during programmes. I'm feeling the same about Simon.

I didn’t realise that Eurosport were not showing the full championship. After you reply I checked my virgin box and there is no Men’s short recorded 😱😱😱 I’ll catch it on the ISU feed on YouTube. I set the series link from the Pairs and never thought about it, dissapointing they are not broadcasting the ladies short 😢

Thanks again.

My town isn't in a cabled area, so I don't know what Virgin's EPG works like. But, over the years, our Sky+HD box has frequently not recorded things on Eurosport and BT Sport because the start time has been pushed back. So, that might have happened with you. Because this has happened so often, I've got to the stage that I've pretty much given up on recording things from sports channels. If I don't watch something live, I cross my fingers and hope it gets put up on the on demand service.

I didn't get the chance to check the Eurosport listings before the action started, so I didn't realise that Eurosport were going to do a hatchet job on the Men's SP either until I put it on. When I saw that Eurosport 2's coverage was starting half an hour after the segment started, I thought "right, start on the World Feed and then switch over". But the tennis was running so late that I got fed up waiting and decided to stay where I was. And when I discovered during the second resurfacing that Eurosport 2 had left the skating to show Biathlon, I was glad I did stay.

But not showing the Ladies SP on the TV art all?! That's crazy!

Thank goodness we have access to the World Feed, both on the Eurosport Player and on the ISU's YouTube channel. Because this is infuriating!

CaroLiza_fan

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
That is not what effortless means. Effortless means you completed something without any issues/trouble/awkwardness/etc.

This is what an effortless throw looks like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0k8MnSTsEA#t=1m55s; which the judges gave mostly +4s (which is correct, IMO). You can't tell me that the Euros 2022 version of this throw is a mere 2 bullets less than this one in terms of quality and execution.
That is exactly my point - your example shows the same type of a jumping process, just without the hand down. If that jump got +4 and +5, this one will get +1 and +2. Or you can find Aljona's or Sui's landings with the equal 'mistake' to see which marks they got, the same like T/M here.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That is exactly my point - your example shows the same type of jumping process, just without the hand down. If that jump got +4 and +5, this one will get +1 and +2.

But you're saying that under the assumption that the Euros 2022 would get earn the same GOE bullets (starting GOE before deduction) that the NHK one did, which is totally wrong.

It wasn't a good landing (#2). This IMMEDIATELY negates your math because it's impossible for them to get a good landing bullet in the Euros 2022 SP with the hand down (not to mention other form breaks).

It wasn't effortless (#3) - I mean, just look at the landings in Euros 2022 versus the landing of NHK 2021. Are those both effortless?

If Tarasova had touched down at NHK, she would not have gotten the good landing/flow bullet or the effortless throughout bullet. Couple the lack-of-earning-those-bullets with the actual deduction that you get for a hand down (-1 to -2), and weak landing (-1 to -3) and there's no way to get -2. Although I suppose you think that it wasn't a weak landing either even with the scratchy toe, form break and touch down.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Yeah. The throw Filp was really high! And twist was great! Too bad that fall means they won't be high in rankings after SP....
I'm confused as to why they didn't end up with negative GOE in the step sequence. Although it was at the end of the SS, the SS wasn't finished so to me there should be at least -1.5 on the SS in addition to the mandatory -1 for the fall and yet that didn't happen. Can anyone explain?

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
This brings me back to the DeBeers diamond commercial in the 1990s. I really can't think of anything else when I hear this music.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4s1c1DBAds
We made a few jokes about the diamond commercial when we played it, too, since that would have been 2001 to 2002ish.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm confused as to why they didn't end up with negative GOE in the step sequence. Although it was at the end of the SS, the SS wasn't finished so to me there should be at least -1.5 on the SS in addition to the mandatory -1 for the fall and yet that didn't happen. Can anyone explain?
Who knows. Unlike some people here I don't think some judges were biased only to Russians, I would think it should earn negative GOE as well.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think scores were certainly a bit more on the exaggerated side, especially to the Russians, and I say that as a member of the M/G fan club. They are being set up to break the FS record tomorrow too, with those PCS. They basically scored what they got at RN, minus the levels they lost. Still, the difference between them and the rest is sobering. There’s a big vacuum in pairs in Europe right now.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Loved T/M today - when they are skating well, they are soooo very impressive. Their pair elements are so classic, they really are a throw-back Russian pairs team. They've been my favorite for a few years now, I really have a soft spot for them and their troubles over the years. I hope they can finish strong tomorrow.