2022 Four Continents: Men's Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 Four Continents: Men's Short Program

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
SP scores and placement of top 3 is appropriate and exactly how I envisioned coming into this event.
For once, nice job judges 👍

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
:bed: See you in a few hours for dance!
Oh no KanaDai... manifesting no fluke falls! 🍫

This event was so much fun! The 4CC men are always a treat! My darling Kao is in third, Kazuki in second, and the brilliant Jun in first! So if they all finish on the podium on Sunday, I'll sweep the podium with my children! (please can this be the podium please please please skating gods)

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Also, I don't agree with the top two. Kazuki should be leading.
I think he could be closer to Jun PCS-wise, but his jumps weren't quite as good as they usually are and he also needs to be not leading in order to skate a better free. Rostelecom, for example, was a bit of a mess. Kazuki skates better coming from behind. So I'm happy with the results if just for that.

Also Chris saying he's off for a cup of tea... the most British thing to say :laugh:

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Oh hey! Brendan is FOURTH! :cheer:
I think should be fifth. Because Seny Miyake was really lowballed in components here. As he started second because of lack of international showing.
Japanese nationals short PCS: Tomono 41 - Miyake 40 (started in the last group) - Miura 38
Here: Tomono 41 also - Miyake 35 (started 2nd in the first group) - Miura 38 also

Warwick360

Medalist
Just going over some of the ones I missed. Seems Lee went all Zagitova on those jumps. Sorry, I know they're officially or inofficially Rippons here, but for me I can't help calling them Zagitovas since her advent brought this trend, not Rippon.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well I'm off to bed but congratulations to Jun? So good to see him doing so well.

And Brendan in 4th! Heck yeah :rock:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think should be fifth. Because Seny Miyake was really lowballed in components here. As he started second because of lack of international showing.
And my absolute shock that Brendan didn't get dumped into the mid-70s like he normally would for that should tell you everything you need to know about how an Australian is normally scored.

Trust me, Brendan would not have scored anywhere near as well as Sena did when he was new on the international scene.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For those playing along at home, Brendan currently leads 143.19 over James' 103.11 in the "battle" for the Olympic spot. :palmf:

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Also, I don't agree with the top two. Kazuki should be leading.
Historically, Kazuki has a tendency to "not perform his best" when skating last.
So though I feel his PCS (IN and PE) could've been a bit higher (standard fare), in this instance I'll graciously accept the conservative scoring.

Praying he delivers a flawless, best of his season FS.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'll have to catch up later, I was so busy cooking I only paid proper heed to Kazuki and Ma. JunHwan and Kazuki were both awesome, and they have nerves of steel. The Korean guy with Polovetsian Dances was also nice to watch. I am still not smitten by Miura, but good speed and energy, good jumps, eww spins, and overall better presentation of music than previously, IMO.
I agree with the placements. Fingers crossed for the US guys before the FS, especially Camden who had a very nasty fall and seemed shaken. Kudos to him for fighting on!
I like Miyake less and less. He's a good skater, but really, whining about his scoring at the first big event he's lucky to be sent to for delivering at the right time... And some people actually point out his Nats scores, as if JNats are a paragon of objectivity and unbias. lol. I don't see why his PCS should be a point away from Kazuki's, so it's about right at 4CC.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Japanese nationals short PCS: Tomono 41 - Miyake 40 (started in the last group) - Miura 38
Here: Tomono 41 also - Miyake 35 (started 2nd in the first group) - Miura 38 also
I did think Sena was a little bit lowballed... he's not the best PCS skater but he's pretty good. I also think the judges were a tad stingy on the GOE with him. I might've had him at 80/81. Oh well, can't have an event without a wuzzrobbed :shrug:

Mozartistique

On the Ice
Country
France
Absolute perfection from Junhwan and Kazuki! the jumps, the spins, the musicality I absolutlely loved it.
Also a clean skate with 2 quads for Kao and one clean quad from Sena too.
Unfortunate mistakes from the Canadians and the Americans... which leaves Brendan kerry in 4th place at the moment good fight! .
Nice clean skates by the young Kazachs guys.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I think he could be closer to Jun PCS-wise, but his jumps weren't quite as good as they usually are and he also needs to be not leading in order to skate a better free. Rostelecom, for example, was a bit of a mess. Kazuki skates better coming from behind. So I'm happy with the results if just for that.

Also Chris saying he's off for a cup of tea... the most British thing to say :laugh:
What he really meant is 'I'm off for a pint', but he can't say this in an international broadcast :laugh: And he would kill the stereotype image of Brits.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Guys, someone has a stream? The one from Isu is blocked in my country

This video may be geoblocked outside of Canada, but if it isn't, then you can watch the Men SP on the CBC.ca website: https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1994959427532

I've just noticed that you can see Joseph Phan's 1A uninterrupted on the CBC.ca's archived livestream, unlike the ISU version which doesn't include it. :confused:

Reactions: Giu

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I remember this being a large event with many athletes, especially among the women.
this is an odd year with Covid + Olympics. However, Canada (except in men because Chiu had to w/d) USA, Japan, Korea sent full teams in men and women... like usual.. you can look at the results list from previous years... If you add back China, yes, there are a few missing countries in some disciplines like it's been mentioned, but it's usually not a competition with 50 skaters either... IIRC

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sigh at the Canadian men for popping their axels and at Camden for zayaking himself à la Patrick... sigh sigh sigh... thank goodness i fell asleep and didn't watch live...

ETA Jo and Corey didn't get their TES MIN... :( a double axel would have been enough... sigh

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Excuse me Judge 8, Mr. Jeff Lukasik (Canada), did both Kazuki's 4T3T and 4S reallly deserve -GOE?
I'll begrudgingly take the -1 GOE on the 4S since Kazuki tends to pre-rotate that jump but let's be real, who else get dinged for pre-rotation?
And why -2 GOE for the 4T3T?

I'd also like to call out Judge 6, Ms. Sasha Martinez (Mexico) who felt that that particular SP deserved only 7's for PE, CO and IN.

Watching you two in the FS

Skatingcat

Final Flight
Oh Jimmy Ma, I am so sorry you had a tough skate. I really really wanted you to medal here. I hope there's a miracle so that you can.