2023-24 US Ice Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Ice Dance

Ross74

Medalist
Heard from my Novi connections that Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik have split up.

It's tough when partners get romantically involved and that romance goes bust. There goes the skating
Very sad. :( Did they withdraw from Golden Spin?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heard from my Novi connections that Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik have split up.

It's tough when partners get romantically involved and that romance goes bust. There goes the skating

I don't know about their personal life, but they are competing in Zagreb and are not splitting.

They were late to Zagreb as Vadym has been recovering from illness after Finland.

This comes directly from Zinagas.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Chock/Bates won Grand Prix Final for the first time in their careers with a season’s best. They confirmed that they will be competing at 4CC.

In juniors, Neset/Markelov won and Pedersen/Chen were in 6th.

Zingas/Kolesnik placed 2nd and Flores/Desyatov placed 3rd at Golden Spin.

The 4CC team should be announced sometime soon.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

What?! 😳 Why would Kolesnik get involved with another partner romantically, especially at his young age? Didn't he learn anything from the last experience? 😮🧐

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't know about their personal life, but they are competing in Zagreb and are not splitting.

They were late to Zagreb as Vadym has been recovering from illness after Finland.

This comes directly from Zinagas.
Okay, thanks. I didn't see this post before responding to the previous shocking post. Zingas spoke on a podcast last summer, soon after partnering with Kolesnik. She sounded quite level-headed and very close to her family. I didn't get the impression she was involved with Kolesnik in any way other than a professional partnership, but that was early on.

Zingas further explained how she was at first reluctant to try out with Kolesnik, after being tapped by Shpilband. One of the reasons she hesitated is because she had made plans to attend the University of Delaware. Her parents were disappointed initially when she told them she had changed her mind about going to university.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's early yet, but in view of all the performances so far this season, are there any guesses regarding Nationals results breakdown for ice dance?

Will H/B finally compete again? Will Zingas/ Kolesnik make a similar splash in the standings, or back up slightly in their sophomore season? Will the Browns' fab momentum with I.AM in their corner, continue? After attending Worlds last season, will Car/Pon have to settle for 4th pewter and off the World team? What will be the impact, if any, of Flo/Des winning an international medal at Golden Spin -- how far can F/D move up from last season in the domestic standings? Especially, in view of Wolf/Tsar doing so-so internationally yet appearing to be favored domestically? How will Pate/Bye; Brat/Som; and McNa/Spir fare in the standings vs 2023 Nats?

🤔🫣🙃😊🍿

Will the upcoming 4CCs picks tell us anything? I suppose entries can later be changed, if deemed necessary.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Anyone who says they can confidently predict what is going to happen at US Nationals in ice dance is probably sitting out on a ledge over oblivion. Even the favorite team to win C/B have been known to have errors at crucial times. And the other teams have their own weaknesses. I know what I want, and which teams I support for the podium but the actual results are beyond my crystal ball. It'll be interesting, to say the least.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gotta say I was very impressed with the progress of Flores/Desyatov, whose RD & FD are posted from Golden Spin in the rewatch of that thread. Very sharp, clean fast and musical. They are on the rise for sure. Great job skaters!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Anyone who says they can confidently predict what is going to happen at US Nationals in ice dance is probably sitting out on a ledge over oblivion. Even the favorite team to win C/B have been known to have errors at crucial times. And the other teams have their own weaknesses. I know what I want, and which teams I support for the podium but the actual results are beyond my crystal ball. It'll be interesting, to say the least.
I'll certainly stake money on C/B winning U.S. Nationals!!! You betcha! No other team is gonna come close to winning over C/B. It's not like Hub/ Don are unretired. 🤣😂

Past C/B winning, who knows? 🙅🙈🙊🙀

I asked if anyone had guesses, not necessarily predictions. 🙃 Anyway, I suppose most fans are waiting for the GS contest to launch before sharing their actual top five U.S. ice dance predictions. 😉🫡

icewhite

Record Breaker
The timing makes it seem more likely there was something that made them split? Wouldn't you at least do one last Nats you are already qualified for if you retired?

dancelion21

On the Ice
Lorraine announced the end of her and Anton's partnership. She will be looking for a new partner.

theblade

On the Ice
I mentioned this in the retirements/splits/new partnerships thread, but Jonathan Rogers and Jeffrey Chen will be senior US male ice dancers next year (that have some height). Lorraine, however, already has a considerable amount of senior experience.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I loved Lorraine with Quinn; they were one of my favorite teams. They were great in juniors, but came up to seniors during a period when their were a lot of established veteran teams, thus few opportunities to get international assignments. And then, they also dealt with momentum stealing injuries. Still, they made a bit of progress in the standings at Nationals, and they had some memorable programs in their last seasons. Quinn finally decided to retire, which may have been due, in part, to recurring injuries. 😥

I was happy when Lorraine found another partner in Anton Spiridonov, but honestly they were never the best physical match. Still, they worked hard together. Anton improved a lot in regard to upping his skill level to match Lorraine's talent. 👏

Unfortunately, from the start of the competitive season, it was obvious that Mc/Spir were losing ground competitively. Check the domestic and international results at Lake Placid. Things did not improve for Mc/Spir at fall comps; their scores continued to plummet. It's surely a tough decision to split before Nationals. But I suppose Lorraine felt it didn't make sense to drop from 6th in last year's standings to a possible 11th place position. That is a result that was entirely possible based on the other teams entered and their overall scores this season compared to Mc/Spir's scores.

Looking back at 2023 standings is fascinating. The Browns did not perform well, and placed 9th in their senior Nationals debut. They are liable to move up to at least sixth at 2024 Nationals. Wolfkostin/Chen split after placing 7th overall and 10th in the RD with a mistake. KWolf paired with DimaTsar and they are looking to be a fed favorite despite being new partners since May. It looks like U.S. fed wants to push up WoIf/Tsar, but it's not clear how they will be rated against Pate/Bye & Bratti/ Somerville.

The same is true for Flo/Des. How will they be rated against W/T, P/B, and B/S? At Golden Spin, Flo/Des beat highly regarded Zingas/ Kolesnik in the FD, but that was due to a mistake by Z/K. As well, F/D's scores at GS are overall higher than W/T's international scores at Autumn Classic and Budapest Trophy. In their 2023 senior Nationals debut, Flo/Des placed 8th with a very successful RD, but dropped to 10th overall due to a costume malfunction in the FD. There doesn't appear to be much room for them to move up this season, particularly with the fed pushing W/T. Still, anything can happen, so I would not count out F/D's ability to shine.