2023 Grand Prix Espoo Practice Reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix Espoo Practice Reports

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Okay, some more or less vague recollections from Men's and ID practices today (if there's an opinion, it's subjective, please do not take it as fact!).

Men's first group had Arlet, Nikita, Makar, Shun, Kao and Koshiro.
I missed Arlet and Makar, entered the arena at Nikita who skated FS and immediately soothed my 90s boy/girlbands craving. He marked some of jumps and xhoreo, but looked like he had great fun. And probably everyone could use a little laidback funny aesthetic from time to time. Not everything has to have pathos, grandiose and seriousness. He had one nicely looking quad if my tired eyes worked correctly, but it was after his run-through.
Japanese men were sort of mixed bag imho. Kao and Koshiro practiced their FS, while Shun his Libertango SP. I really like this SP for Shun - 'dance-y' programs accentuate imho brilliant musicality of movement Japanese men have, I recall some issues with solo jump or combo in the run-through, the Axel was good, he did also step sequence, probably skipped spins. He had few bomb 4-3 combos later in the practice. Kao had trouble with one of his quads, he kept flopping/splatting on the short end of the rink near coaches trying to make it work, mixed bag of luck with jumps I'd say. Koshiro is one, long noodle (so seems to be Memola lol) with adorableness about his presence. He really goes into the music and performs the heck out of it, unfortunately I've either got distracted or just missed if he jumped everything or marked stuff.

Group 2 had Kevin, Nikolaj, Matteo, Ivan, Liam and Jimmy.
Kevin marked all jumps during FS run-through, did step sequence, last spin and choreo sequence. For me, Bolero is a piece that sort of requires someone with particular brand of presence/charisma to pull it off - Keving for sure has that in spades, so it works in a way that music is not overpowering the skater (like it is quite often). I'm meh about choreography though, sort of (reserving full judgement after seeing this FS with jumps etc.) - it's just maybe not the type of 'busy/embellishment' type of design that I like, I don't know, something just throws me off about choreo in this program (or maybe I'm just a boomer who is over flashiness? Possibly showing my age and preferences lol).
Nikolaj iirc had pretty okay run-through of his FS - he jumped some quads, some triples, nice 3As, did step sequence. But what the heck goes with his skates?! Does he have two different ones and one/both are heavily taped?! Huh, that was pretty unusual for me to see, but I'm not that versed into technicalities about skates, so I'm no one to opine about that. He has that, I don't know, 'angelic' presence for me - really looking forward how he will develop as senior skater.
Matteo did FS, most things were marked, opening quad had step-out, he did step sequence and iirc choreo sequence too. I also reserve my judgement until I see full program performed, but it sort of left me indifferent for now.
Ivan was an interesting case - he is there alone (?? At least he was alone at the practice today), BUT skyped/connected with someone via phone during practice :). Jumps were mixed bag, lots of step-outs, few falls, but it is clear as a day he pours all his heart into that FS. Hope he has decent showing and lots of cheer.
Liam skated FS - worked a lot on 3A-3 combo, jumped some nice triples and one great solo 3A. I have to say, at some shots from afar he reminded me about Kolyada for some reason.
Jimmy also skated FS - great opening quad, really solid, marked a lot, definitely went 100% in for step sequence though.

Biibi

Rinkside
Country
Finland
I had to stop live reporting because my battery started to die. But here’s some notes from the day.

I arrived during the last group of pairs practices. Didn’t get to see Peng&Wang runthrough but otherwise they seemed frisky, no signs of jet lag to my eyes.

Ladies first group seemed a bit chaotic to me. I don’t think many of them gave way and space to the skater whose music was playing. Starr seemed the most polite and didn’t get anyones way.

Amber was practicing 3A. I think it was a stepout in music runthrough. But afterwards she did a clean and pretty one which I captured with my phone camera.

The second group consisted of Lara Naki, Mana, Kaori, Rion, Chaeyeon and You. They all practiced FS. I followed mostly Rion because she was doing deep edges. I read afterwards that she did the 4T. Sometimes I just can’t follow how many rotations there are, so I think I didn’t register when that happened.
Rion looked really good. Kaori was goofy and Young You seemed better than last time.

During ice surface break I saw Jimmy Ma in the hallway. He was jumping rope and foamrolling.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Ice Dance - first group had 2 Finnish teams, 2 Canadian teams and Hungarians. All except Ignateva/Szemko performed FD.

Orihara/Pirinen are one of my faves this season because they are playing on their fortes by those entertaining themes in their programs. In this FD I like how they both are engaged in building the performance, I.e. the male partner shows a lot of personality, not being reduced to lifting prop. They have such expressive faces and choreography really highlights their strong points I feel. Plus LOVE how sparkly, yet sort of elegant/understated their costumes are!

Turkkila/Versluis have just something about them for me, that 'magic' ability to cast a spell by even the most simple thing. I really dig that FD, the ending sequence with lift from choreo sequence is just beautiful. For me they are embodiment of effortless strenght - Matthias lifts Juulia like a feather, that opening combo lift is just sublime.

Bashynska/Beaumont have one of the best arranged music imho this season for FD - I really think the way music is done elevates this program up. Love opening pose and I like that the performance/characters/story felt sound, but not crossed into overdramatisation area. Some issues with fluidity for me, some bobble here and there, but I just adore them together.

F-B/S...It was my second time ever watching them live and first time of that FD. While I really think she might be the best female ice dancer right now (blend of technique and performance abilities is THERE for me), I just do not feel the program for them (it might be me being NDdP hater, along with Les Mis, so take that under consideration). I feel like the music is weirdly cut for this FD - it feels patched at places. I like some parts, some less, just feel a bit ??? about it overall.

In all honesty I've missed most of Hungarians performing RD (I'm sorry, I've had 2,5 hrs of sleep and I kept disconecting).

Second group had Czech siblings, Germans and 3 US teams. All except Zingas/Kolesnik performed FDs.

Mrazeks...Well, I think Carmen would be more of a hit with me. Swan Lake in ID immediately focus my memory on Ilinykh/Katsalapov FD which, for some mind-boggling readon, has quite strong gold on me lol. She clearly goes INTO the program and character with her expressions, they fill up all of the rink and they skate big imho. Sweeping edges, too. Some parts of choreo I find too juniorish/too basic and lacking proper refinement I think. I think if it had to be a warhorse, I could've been different one for me.

Germans were okay. I just feel they are sort of doing a variation of one program for few seasons already. They are just not memorable. Solid skating, but just sparks nothing special for me.

Carreira/Ponomarenko...and here goes the blasphemy that will be argued: I like them more that Chock/Bates, watching FDs run-throughs back-to-back :slink: . There is just something sensual and 'mystical' going on about Car/Pon FD this year, I really see they worked on storytelling, their presence and how they portray the music/their. I was really taken by that practice and it really made me eager for Saturday...

Chock/Bates...well, I'm just not a fan of that FD. Not even choreography, how heavily it relies on acrobatics, 'wow' lifts and transitions (don't get me wrong - these are WOW for a reason, I fully acknowledge the ability to pull this stuff off ON THE ICE and that they found their winning formula to get points and medals), but mostly because the music just goes and foes and goes - for my subjective taste it lacks sort of stronger counterpoint to add that dimension to the sound part of the program. There's definitely 'coolness' factor there, the dress smartly references 'Time' piece, yet I'm missing something - also, I wish the performance would accentuate both partners in more balanced way, I feel like Evan just blends there into the background in some parts. I fully get how much of dominating presence/charisma Madison represents, but I really wish there was less of that 'blending into the background' feeling I experienced today (or maybe it's just me, my boomer tastes and not knowing anything).

Zingas/Kolesnik are FUN. Really vibed with that RD - they are good looking team, not only physically attractive, but for me they can make a program to be attractive because the way they perform it. Vadym still is THAT partner, his assistance is seamless while holding his in, strong presence. She looks really determined to 'get there' in terms of his skating abilities. They are an interesting team to watch.