2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Free Skate

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
There are a few promising US juniors though, I don't know what this user is talking about. Soho Lee (who won a silver on the JGP) and Josephine Lee (who finished 5th at senior nationals) for example. Both struggled at Junior Worlds but they're kids, it happens. Doesn't mean they're not talented.
Josephine Lee…yaaaaassss! I really enjoyed her at US Nats and hope we see much more from her. 🥰

slider11

Medalist
Fair podium-congrats to all! Disappointed for Isabeau and nervous for her next couple years as she matures. She has lovely posture and arms-such a nice flow across the ice. But those jumps may suffer as her body changes-wish her the best. Really crushed for Bradie. I thought she'd be easy top 10. Her ur's seem to be her nemesis. In interviews she says she tightens in performances. Still, she made remarkable progress this year and I hope she can continue. Amber is another puzzle. Such energy and power but lacks consistency at the big moments. The Japanese and Korean ladies seem to be taking turns excelling. Loena wasn't perfect but still lovely and very worthy! Bravo!

icybear

Medalist
Of all the new Korean ladies to medal first who would have thought it would have been Haein Lee. You Young was the prodigy and then Eunsoo was the new star. And now Eunsoo is pretty much gone, and You is too inconsistent. At the start of the season, Yelim looked like she was the best Korean but then crumbled at the second half of the season.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished catching up!

Congrats to Queen Kaori 👏; Good thinking on her feet. Adding the 3T to the popped flip is what gave her the gold medal. Also, she managed to surpass Mao Shimada, in regards to best SB score. I think by less than 0.10. Congrats on the gold medal 🥇 Queen Kaori! Looking forward to her new programs for next season.

Haein 👏; She was so relaxed and she skated so good. She won a silver medal 🥈 and won the free skate. She deserved silver. Kaori is much better and faster and had the lead from the SP. But, I’m so glad she was able to show the Korean federation how good she is. I hope they start giving her the PCS she deserves at the domestic events. C.Kim was so good! This is a camp to watch out for. I don’t know why, but, I just have a feeling these two are going to push for ultra-c jumps to challenge Kaori. I think Haein has landed 3A in practice. That is the next step. 3A, in my opinion will be what is required to win an Olympic Gold medal in this upcoming Olympics. Whomever pushes to land this jump will deserve it. This is the next natural progression for ladies in regard to technical arsenal.

Loena…sloppy. But, well deserved bronze medal due to artistry. You can tell she was happy to just be on the podium.

The American Ladies… they lost a spot due to COMBOS. I’m glad they lost the spot. When Levito failed her lutz loop combo, I thought, surely, they must have a plan B. But, I shook my head when I saw that she went for five single jumps. Where is the thinking and thought process? I don’t get it. She lost the bronze medal due to this. Also, Amber Glenn, like I’ve stated all season long. She loses placements due to leaving out two complete jumps. She could have still finished in 9th place, if she just went for two doubles. These two really need a sit down explanation on how figure skating works. Levito leaves so many points on the table, even with her lutz loop combo, which she wastes by not attempting another triple second jump. Amber - lost cause. I’m hoping Lindsay is motivated for next year. She is someone who understands how to maximize points potential. She just needs to rotate her jumps better 😝

Also, mad the Maddie finished in 13th 😡; she deserved 12th place over Amber 😡
Maddie is the best Canadian lady. I thought she did well. Had she landed the lutz toe combo in the SP, she would have easily scored 190+ and top ten. Shame we won’t have another Canadian lady. But, the talent around the world has gone up.

Nicole surprised me the most. She doesn’t go for difficulty. But, she has so much maturity in her skating. See, Maddie, this is what you need to do.

This was a very good competition. I thought the results were accurate. I thought Nina P from Belgium was underscored and should have placed higher. This really cost Belgium 🇧🇪 Jade will be affected by this result. Kimmy is also someone I would score higher due to speed of her skating.

Last edited:

b-man

Final Flight
Bradie was unfairly propped up at Nationals with the blind eye turned to her underrotations in the SP and the Fed is reaping the fallout. Injury aside, her jumps have become increasingly less rotated every year.

The US doesn’t have to be as deep as Japan or Korea to meet the metric of holding onto three spots, especially in a Russia-free field. Four Continents was a forecast of how easily the Americans could lost that third berth and it came to fruition even with Isabeau’s strong performance.

Failing to cultivate experience in younger athletes like Lindsay is going to worsen the challenges of the USFS women’s program.
Bradie was 25 points ahead of 4th place at Nationals. Lindsay was uninspiring and finished a very very distant sixth.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I just finished catching up!

Congrats to Queen Kaori 👏; Good thinking on her feet. Adding the 3T to the popped flip is what gave her the gold medal. Also, she managed to surpass Mao Shimada, in regards to best SB score. I think by less than 0.10. Congrats on the gold medal 🥇 Queen Kaori! Looking forward to her new programs for next season.

Haein 👏; She was so relaxed and she skated so good. She won a silver medal 🥈 and won the free skate. She deserved silver. Kaori is much better and faster and had the lead from the SP. But, I’m so glad she was able to show the Korean federation how good she is. I hope they start giving her the PCS she deserves at the domestic events. C.Kim was so good! This is a camp to watch out for. I don’t know why, but, I just have a feeling these two are going to push for ultra-c jumps to challenge Kaori. I think Haein has landed 3A in practice. That is the next step. 3A, in my opinion will be what is required to win an Olympic Gold medal in this upcoming Olympics. Whomever pushes to land this jump will deserve it. This is the next natural progression for ladies in regard to technical arsenal.

Loena…sloppy. But, well deserved bronze medal due to artistry. You can tell she was happy to just be on the podium.

The American Ladies… they lost a spot due to COMBOS. I’m glad they lost the spot. When Levito failed her lutz loop combo, I thought, surely, they must have a plan B. But, I shook my head when I saw that she went for five single jumps. Where is the thinking and thought process? I don’t get it. She lost the bronze medal due to this. Also, Amber Glenn, like I’ve stated all season long. She loses placements due to leaving out two complete jumps. She could have still finished in 9th place, if she just went for two doubles. These two really need a sit down explanation on how figure skating works. Levito leaves so many points on the table, even with her lutz loop combo, which she wastes by not attempting another triple second jump. Amber - lost cause. I’m hoping Lindsay is motivated for next year. She is someone who understands how to maximize points potential. She just needs to rotate her jumps better 😝

Also, mad the Maddie finished in 13th 😡; she deserved 12th place over Amber 😡
Maddie is the best Canadian lady. I thought she did well. Had she landed the lutz toe combo in the SP, she would have easily scored 190+ and top ten. Shame we won’t have another Canadian lady. But, the talent around the world has gone up.

Nicole surprised me the most. She doesn’t go for difficulty. But, she has so much maturity in her skating. See, Maddie, this is what you need to do.

This was a very good competition. I thought the results were accurate. I thought Nina P from Belgium was underscored and should have placed higher. This really cost Belgium 🇧🇪 Jade will be affected by this result. Kimmy is also someone I would score higher due to speed of her skating.
Yeah, I'm not sure why Isabeau is doing two solo 2As and a solo triple toe loop. That makes no sense to me and I know nothing about maximizing base value because I just haven't memorized the values of jumps. She used to backload all the combos, too, but she doesn't anymore. I'm going to guess because that is because of any growth she's experienced since junior worlds last year.

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Bradie was 25 points ahead of 4th place at Nationals. Lindsay was uninspiring and finished a very very distant sixth.
I still think Lindsay is the best US has to offer when it comes to the new young girls. I am deeply worried about Isabeau and her technique, it might all just fall apart already next season if she starts to grow. Lindsay might struggle again next season, but I am hoping not...we'll see what happens.

lunastartron

Rinkside
… and that 25-point margin was unfair, particularly her outrageous proximity to Isabeau after the SP given the severe underrotation on her opening jump that did not get called.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Do you have access to the ISU feed on YouTube? They've been posting complete replays and also a few segments of individual skaters.

Re: ISU on YT, I downloaded the Proton VPN from the Apple app store to access. Proton is also available for Android devices; it's been working like a charm for me!
Proton VPN worked great for me also. I did discover the need to disconnect it later in order to watch Peacock!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Proton VPN worked great for me also. I did discover the need to disconnect it later in order to watch Peacock!
That's great! :clap: BTW re: disconnect, I had the same experience in switching to Amazon Prime (yeah, actually needed a break from skating).

A big shout out and :thank: to @TontoK, who posted about Proton on another thread. Haven't gone near NBC/Tara/Johnny all week and it's been so liberating! :yahoo:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I hope Lindsay proves you wrong!!! I was most impressed by Thorngren last year and was deeply disappointed that the USFS didn't show her love in 22 and then she had a huge growth spurt
Oh, I do have my favs I saw at nats that I am hoping grow like sunflowers in the summer....but the reality is there are very few fans who donate to the non profit USFS and the staff at HQ is getting thinner and thinner...and the fan count at Nats was not good......the Korean fans tell me all sorts of stories I wont report here but their government does support figure skating....and someone must support all those wonderful Japanese Juniors.... Haein praises Yuna for her support, BTW. I would hope that certain US OGM winners who have become millionaires give back.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That's great! :clap: BTW re: disconnect, I had the same experience in switching to Amazon Prime (yeah, actually needed a break from skating).

A big shout out and :thank: to @TontoK, who posted about Proton on another thread. Haven't gone near NBC/Tara/Johnny all week and it's been so liberating! :yahoo:
Oh come on...you HAVE to watch Jason's short on the T and J show just to hear Tara say after the skate she couldnt bring herself to talk during his skating as it was so beautiful!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh come on...you HAVE to watch Jason's short on the T and J show just to hear Tara say after the skate she couldnt bring herself to talk during his skating as it was so beautiful!
But she still can’t stop herself from mentioning the QUAD😟:cool:

readernick

Medalist
Of all the new Korean ladies to medal first who would have thought it would have been Haein Lee. You Young was the prodigy and then Eunsoo was the new star. And now Eunsoo is pretty much gone, and You is too inconsistent. At the start of the season, Yelim looked like she was the best Korean but then crumbled at the second half of the season.
Me. Hae-in has always been my favorite Korean lady because she has real performance skills, musicality, nice edges, and she seems to have learned how to skate faster this year which used to hold back her PCS. Now, it's probably better not to talk too much about her jump technique(😂 all of my favorites have some jump issues. Shoma and Hae-in love a forward takeoff) but she's managed to overcome UR problem to a large degree. ( And she got some slightly more generous calls than the other ladies 😉) So, to me she's obviously the best Korean lady.

Alex D

Record Breaker
This was a great compeition, with so much in it. I have to finish my report now and then I can get some rest.

But I want to say, dont be so hard on Isabeau, she is still so young and does have a bright future ahead of her. Coming 4th, is a great achievement in your first season at the seniors. :points:

desertskates

Medalist
I'm showing up WAY late to this party because I didn't watch live, but what a party it was! I watched the sneaky peacock replay start to finish, and read along with the commentary here as I watched. There as so much good skating here today, and I think the placements were all totally fair.
My top 5:
5. Thank Gawd Maddy Schizas changed her program back. WSS was a stinker and I'm glad she skated to her potential.
4. Niina Petrokina is one to watch, she seems very secure when on and has great music and choreo.
3. Yay Loena for sticking with the performance. Despite the mistake, her stuff is so high quality. That medal is well deserved.
2. Broken heart for Mai. Her long is my favorite program this year, I'm sorry this was her weakest performance of it. I predicted her for gold, I really hope it would come true for her.
1. Haein and Kaori were both spectacular. Kaori holding up under so much pressure, and Haein for just being so well rounded and solid. This could be a fun friendly rivalry as it continues :clap::clap::clap:
Just a personal observation here with seeing some skaters running out of gas. There was a lot of fog and super sweaty skaters at the end and that usually equals soft ice. At least in my very modest adult skater experience. It feels sticky and you have to just work harder to get from point A to point B.
Saitama has a great crowd, it's cool to see the skaters so happy to be there and hit lots of personal goals.
On to the Dance and Men!!!

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Once Alysa decided to quit skating that was it for the US keeping 3 spots i feel. Whatever weaknesses she had as a skater caving into pressure was never one of them and her scores from the Olympics and Worlds last season would have put either 4th or 3rd. Isabeau and Alysa would have been a fierce duo at Worlds.

Alex D

Record Breaker
My full review can be found here. I am not 100% happy with it, I could have said some things better I feel, but this is as good as it gets today. It is more focused on the story elements, so there is a lot of chatter about the programs and choreography in my review. It is 15 pages of content, so best may be reading it when you sit in a train or plane, as it may be a bit overwhelming :scratch2:

There are many skaters that have great potential and I truly enjoyed each program, Lin as a pirate was super fun, Amber showing up with a triple Axel a major suprise and Nastia was such a beast in that dress, I love this lady so much. Hugs to all the sad faces and shake hands with all the winners, thanks for this great competion it means so much to me being able to see it!