2023 World Team Trophy Men's Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy Men's Short Program

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Anyone know what happened with Jason's combination spin? One judge gave it a +4, and one gave it a -1.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 8.28.31 AM.png

icewhite

Record Breaker
Anyone know what happened with Jason's combination spin? One judge gave it a +4, and one gave it a -1.

View attachment 6511

I don't. All I can say is that judge 1 seems to be a fan more than a judge. That 3A was def not a +3.

But you made me look at the protocols, and my, they are all over the place... I'm okay with the final standings, but the individual scores, GOEs and PCS are wild.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Good on Ilia and I always love Jason's skating even though a few little glitches. Ilia is getting the consistency and we know the GOEs and more important Pcs rise generally. Here the Japanese men are not as strong so that helps. Techncially Ilia is so strong with the jumps and they are worth so much and that is the name of the game - points. Japan really missed Shoma - his performance forget consistency is missing here. Canada was the huge disappointment; what a mess. You shouldn't blame anyone but Michael Slipchuk a former skater I understand maybe needs to go if not to try to shake things up. I really was disappointed in Keegan and Gogolov. I was hoping the best for Keegan but I worried all year round about his stamina for the sport with now two children in Alaska. He gave up on trying to get the quad lutz and his skating is beautiful. He may not be lyrical but he is actual a very good skater (not jumps so much but the edges and all) To see him skate so poorly while not a surprise I just was hoping he could put his whole heart and energy into training and competing but I sense he had at least in part moved on with family- which is great that he is so in love with his family - we don't see that a lot - many sacrificing relationships for the hope of career/sport success. Canada has no chance at a medal and other than Madi a bit of a bright light here things don't look great.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have only watched a few of the men, but my two cents:

That skate by Jason, scritches and all, will never be anything but sublime. Yes, I'm biased, but it's still sublime. ❤️

What magic potion has Kevin taken to give him back his confidence and swagger and landing jumps? Any comp that has Jason and Kévin back to back I'm watching.:hap10:

Jun! (The TCC boys rule ;) ) I love "many medley" Michael Jackson, sorry not sorry and what consistency potion is Jun now taking?

My extra two cents on Ilia: he *needed* WTT. He needed a fun, low pressure comp. Ilia needs to up his performance game, but Ilia also needs to learn to deal with the pressure. When there is no pressure, we get clean confident Ilia.

Also we get the KnC to end all KnC's with Jason eliciting smiles from Ilia and Tatiana. To heck with all the other coaches, Ilia needs Jason as a life coach. Because it helps his skate.(y)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and Canadian men discussion is going to be strong again :(
i heard my name.... yeah... Conrad would have been a better choice... said it a few weeks ago... and yeah... no need for a crystal ball for this one... .but gogo tends to bounce back in the free... we will see.. thankfully, points are not cumulative

JimR

On the Ice
That score for Ilia is more like it. The judges kind of learned their lesson from the world championship where they destroyed him for components. Ted is talking about Ilia's choreography suddenly being better but it is no different to three weeks ago.

I can't believe three weeks ago judges overlooked things like Shoma's heavily pre-rotated blade assisted 4F. Just unbelievable that any Ilia jump or technique could be questioned when Shoma gets 3's and 4's for his 4F.

Ilia is a better man than I am. I don't think I could be so gracious in the face of that kind of scoring.

But it seems like order has been restored, there is some semblance of logical and rational judging again. This is great and helps all athletes.

What was going on with the US team, why did they abandon Ilia at the end? Kind of embarrassing look but I'm sure there was an innocent explanation for the country's number one skater having no team support at all.

icewhite

Record Breaker
That score for Ilia is more like it. The judges kind of learned their lesson from the world championship where they destroyed him for components. Ted is talking about Ilia's choreography suddenly being better but it is no different to three weeks ago.

I can't believe three weeks ago judges overlooked things like Shoma's heavily pre-rotated blade assisted 4F. Just unbelievable that any Ilia jump or technique could be questioned when Shoma gets 3's and 4's for his 4F.

Ilia is a better man than I am. I don't think I could be so gracious in the face of that kind of scoring.

But it seems like order has been restored, there is some semblance of logical and rational judging again. This is great and helps all athletes.

What was going on with the US team, why did they abandon Ilia at the end? Kind of embarrassing look but I'm sure there was an innocent explanation for the country's number one skater having no team support at all.

I think you have a proxy victim's complex.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I missed it all and the venerable (uh uh) Peacock is not showing replays. No vids on youtube because geoblocked even though for some it's the only way to see the programs.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@JimR I agree with you about Shoma's sorta-flip. People get up in arms about Morisi's toe-sal-whatever-that-is, and just ignore whatever it is that Shoma calls a flip.

But it's irrelevant now, because Shoma ain't here.

Now, as for Ilia. This SP scored better than it did at World's because it was skated better. Better ease of flight and flow on the jump landings = more GOE. More extension/ice coverage/commitment to movement = better PCS. It's not a scoring flaw if a better performance earns more points; that's the way it's supposed to be.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Aww Ilia has cute little drawings too!

Haha Jason is the best Team Captain!

Wow Ilia's mother looks young!

Tatiana Malinina turned 50 in January. Conversely, Ilia turned 18 in December.

Bearing in mind that we are now closer to 50 than we are to 18, yes, she is young! ;) :biggrin:

Ted mentioned in commentary that Tatiana was the inaugural Four Continents Ladies Champion. Well, here are her programmes (all with Japanese commentary):

Tatiana Malinina (UZB) - 1999 Four Continents SP
Tatiana Malinina (UZB) - 1999 Four Continents FS
Tatiana Malinina (UZB) - 1999 Four Continents EX

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan