2023 World Team Trophy Men's Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy Men's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Italy will be men-rich next year, Canada-poor (unless Chui breaks out) and Korea is stuck in the embarrassing position where their only guy is getting a red carpet rolled out for him, but they don't have the heir and the spare. Despite both Japanese guys underperforming, they are fine so long as Shoma rests his ankle. US is on thin ice unless Zhou or Chen are presuaded to skate a season or two until they get Yampolskii and Co up to speed. France is in a more precarious position than Italy, States and Japan, but better than Canada.

I can't say how much I loved Messing and Rizzo, and how happy I was for Sato edging toward third guy in Japan.

Respect to Grassl's tenacity, and yes, the polish job is obvious. So far it's balanced out with the downvotes from the community, so it will be interesting to see if he breaks or works until they can't ding him if they tried.

I am so sad for Fa, but Gogolev crossed the line where I no longer care. My eyes are on Chui at this point for Canada.

I can't wait for next season to see different programs from Aymoz. He forever won me by that awful Skate Canada when he was forced to skate injured and fell right in front of me and I thought he wouldn't get up... and I am so happy he is climbing back up, hopefully healed, but I just can't with these programs.

For me, Malinin > Cha, but it’s very much an ideological struggle of values, so I keep my fingers crossed that Malinin and Co will navigate it by next season successfully. But both are my top priority to see live next season!

Last edited:

JimR

On the Ice
For me, Malinin > Cha, but it’s very much an ideological struggle of values, so I keep my fingers crossed that Malinin and Co will navigate it by next season successfully. But both are my top priority to see live next season!
It's incredible how Cha's components have increased in one season. I think it's something like 15 points higher. There is a lot of subjectivity to components of course.

Cha is very exciting and I like both his programs, but I think if another person skated that program (you know who) they would have dinged him for three q's instead of one.

Not sure about the under-rotation on Ilia's 4A either. Maybe I missed something there. I'll have to look at that in slow motion (really, really slow motion).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The scoring and placements were just what they should be for this segment.

Jun: what an improvement, what consistency he has mastered over last year, and I am here for it.:hap10:

Forza Matteo!🇮🇹 When he is on, he is on.

Jason. No words. What a demonstration of everything that makes skating skating. ❤️The cheering from the Japanese box too, so sweet :)

Kévin, I adore the Achilles program, I hope he finds another one that speaks to him as passionately.🏹

Ilia fell, and underrotated, and when he falls, until he follows through and pays more attention to that artistry as he keeps talking about, he will be scored as such.

I do believe he will pay attention and it will get better. The All American boy Ilia, 🇺🇸, born and raised in the shadow of our Nation’s capital, will be back for the USA at the next WTT, with improved skating skills, artistry, performance. A girl can hope.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Personally, I'm not a fan of people changing their avatars.

I tend to think of members in terms of their avatars. So, @elektra blue is Daniel; @Jeanie19 is Zhenya; @norwegianfairytale is Sonja; @dorispulaski is Maleficent; @NoNameFace is her wonderful paper sunflowers; @balabam is a drunk mess; etc. It takes a while to get used to who you are talking to if somebody changes their avatar.

I've been using my current avatar for 4 years now. I admit, I've had a few in my time, but they have all been to the same basic design. The picture in the middle may change, but it's still instantly recognisable as being me.

CaroLiza_fan
i like to see new avatars :) so yeah... to each their own :) were you just looking at the images when you started reading books? I tend to look at the username first... some pictures of some skaters are used by more than one gs user... At one point, many of us had a similar Patrick Chan photo :) ha !!!! If i hadn't read their names, I wouldn't have any clue who was writing :) and that's just Patrick... some skaters have way many more fans ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Italy will be men-rich next year, Canada-poor (unless Chui breaks out) and Korea is stuck in the embarrassing position where their only guy is getting a red carpet rolled out for him, but they don't have the heir and the spare. Despite both Japanese guys underperforming, they are fine so long as Shoma rests his ankle. US is on thin ice unless Zhou or Chen are presuaded to skate a season or two until they get Yampolskii and Co up to speed. France is in a more precarious position than Italy, States and Japan, but better than Canada.

I can't say how much I loved Messing and Rizzo, and how happy I was for Sato edging toward third guy in Japan.

Respect to Grassl's tenacity, and yes, the polish job is obvious. So far it's balanced out with the downvotes from the community, so it will be interesting to see if he breaks or works until they can't ding him if they tried.

I am so sad for Fa, but Gogolev crossed the line where I no longer care. My eyes are on Chui at this point for Canada.

I can't wait for next season to see different programs from Aymoz. He forever won me by that awful Skate Canada when he was forced to skate injured and fell right in front of me and I thought he wouldn't get up... and I am so happy he is climbing back up, hopefully healed, but I just can't with these programs.

don't forget Yuma ;)

adding : my feelings towards gogo are the same as how they have developed for Roman... I gave up. Chiu is the best hope... Conrad : we will see as he is a work in progress... he improved tons this year with Ravi but he was coming from far far away. Canada has produced tons of champions and worlds medalists/strong contenders. Patrick retired in 2018 and the next in line all grew taller or got injured... (Nic Nadeau was so promising... and so was Jo Phan). It's the low of the cycle for sure... nobody skates with confidence. But that will change. I am curious about Edward. His 3axel is so huge and he has something I like that I cannot pinpoint yet.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well I'm out of here but will take a glance at the Jr and Sr Grand Prix assignments when they surface in June and be back in July or August.
I cannot begin to convey what a pleasure it was for me to spend time with you all - my extended skating family. Now it's more pro tennis and the outdoor track and field season and my terrible tennis game, more screenwriting and pondering getting back to performing. Love and health to everyone!

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
don't forget Yuma ;)

adding : my feelings towards gogo are the same as how they have developed for Roman... I gave up. Chiu is the best hope... Conrad : we will see as he is a work in progress... he improved tons this year with Ravi but he was coming from far far away. Canada has produced tons of champions and worlds medalists/strong contenders. Patrick retired in 2018 and the next in line all grew taller or got injured... (Nic Nadeau was so promising... and so was Jo Phan). It's the low of the cycle for sure... nobody skates with confidence. But that will change. I am curious about Edward. His 3axel is so huge and he has something I like that I cannot pinpoint yet.
I'm sad about Phan. This could have been his year.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like i have a lot to catch up on. Sounds like another wild ride. I think I’m gonna enjoy the redemption skates the most.
i will be updating the various rewatches this summer as new content appears. Message me if you find stuff broken.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
don't forget Yuma ;)

I am not forgetting Kagiyama, I am just hoping that with current emphasis on performance more interesting Japanese performers will be outscoring him, despite his beautiful technique on T and S. I am basically Miura/Sato/anyone> Kagiyama.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not forgetting Kagiyama, I am just hoping that with current emphasis on performance more interesting Japanese performers will be outscoring him, despite his beautiful technique on T and S. I am basically Miura/Sato/anyone> Kagiyama.
really? Yuma is more than just a jumper. His skating skills are top notch. I find Sato's program a jumping drill. I guess we do indeed have very different tastes :) If you want interesting performers, there is still Sota who has a wonderful elegance in his skating... maybe you prefer quirkier... I don't know at this point :)

icewhite

Record Breaker

Lol, we have such different taste in skaters.

icewhite

Record Breaker
really? Yuma is more than just a jumper. His skating skills are top notch. I find Sato's program a jumping drill. I guess we do indeed have very different tastes :) If you want interesting performers, there is still Sota who has a wonderful elegance in his skating... maybe you prefer quirkier... I don't know at this point :)

:laugh: Pretty much my thinking, I am trying to figure out lariko's taste, but I haven't found the pattern yet.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Lol, we have such different taste in skaters.
Everyone does. I always go for youthful ardor, dare and uniqueness or so I think 😅 Not that I can't like something else either, but for the most part, young, hopeful, fresh and crazy fun with more technical difficulty gets me over mellow dirges and spirals.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Kagiyama is bland. I don't like bland. I don’t mind Sota but I like Miyura and Sato more. There is a couple of other juniors there who got spunk and youthful ardor. I want to feel invigorated when watching the competition, jump up and go do stuff with a big smile on my face, not to cry or fall asleep. I also like tall guys with bigger, wilder jumps, even though I know speed of rotation compensates for low and smaller jump. Hence, Naumov or Annis make my list of favs... I have a system to my madness. It's not a perfect system, but it is a system.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kagiyama is bland. I don't like bland. I don’t mind Sota but I like Miyura and Sato more. There is a couple of other juniors there who got spunk and youthful ardor. I want to feel invigorated when watching the competition, jump up and go do stuff with a big smile on my face, not to cry or fall asleep.
i get excited with refinement.... because to me, that shows dedication and hours of work... it's probably coming from my own training.

Shoma and Yuma are my two favourite Japanese skaters.
I love Adam and Jun.

I am getting into Lukas too.

I am a fan of skaters who have good technique (not necessarily difficult jumps but a decent competitive content) and effortless skating provided by great skating skills... I want it all :)

Matteo has gorgeous jumps too. He was fun to watch this weekend. I like Gabriele aussi :) he is my new avatar of the off-season :)

I miss Patrick :)

yesterday

Record Breaker
I do think that lots of skaters can show better what they "can" with their gala programs.
So a comparison between certain athletes based on their competitive programs can (not must) bring a different result than using galas for it.

e.g. Yuma surprised me with his Oly season gala. Others might not be able to spark when they are under less pressure etc.

Demandred

On the Ice
This scoring system was invented for Japan when they were really week in pair disciplines I believe. Now they eat it, yummy-yummy :D
Exactly my thoughts when the end result became clear. Them's the breaks, I doubt Japan expected to be beaten by a team more heavily singles focused than them anytime soon when this scoring system was put in place.

Anyway, very enjoyable competition overall, especially the men's even which had a very strong field. Really happy for Rizzo in particular, I would have even had him first in the free. Korea deserved their silver under the current rules. Japan were let down by their men, but they have Shoma and Yuma, so they are more than fine long term.