2023 Worlds: Women's FS | Thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Women's FS | Thoughts

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I am pleased to see that a lot of people agree with me and loved Nicole's performance. I wonder if German Eurosport will post a video up somewhere. Btw I really hope she continues, there's 2 spots for next season that have to be filled!

Happy for Haein and excited to see what's in store for her future - she will aim to bring back the 3A she was training last year. Amazing that Kaori saved the world title by adding a 3T onto her popped flip, that's true champion spirit! I wished for Loena to have a clean free but in my opinion I like how her fall did not detract from her skate today. Lovely sportsmanship from Kaori to help Loena look for a Belgian flag in the audience - how did her team not come prepared :unsure:

I see that the U.S. women lost their third spot but honestly i think the fed needs to be patient and rebuild their field, Isabeau is already feeling the pressure of being at the top and needs to be reminded that 4th place is a great achievement in a senior worlds debut!

Also delighted for Nina, Niina and Maddie with the return of Madame Butterfly.

Artistry

On the Ice
I liked that other skaters got the spotlight after years of one Rus training camp dominating women’s figure skating with cra y jumps but often less artistry. This was fun to watch, fresh interpretations, etc

readernick

Medalist
Women's FS is my least favorite discipline so I haven't watched the entire FS yet. But, I checked out some of my favorites. I'm happy for Haein who has long been my favorite Korean lady. I'm sad for Bradie who is among my favorite American ladies and seemed to be doing great in practice but didn't deliver in the FS. But, I think it's normal to need time to adjust to competing again.

Other than that, the results are as expected. I thought Isabeau might pull off an upset with her nerves of steel but it's normal to be nervous in your first Worlds. This is the first time I've seen nerves from her. But, she's human. I'm sad for Mai but I rather expected this. She's gotten rather generous technical calling this year and she tends to make small mistakes that add up when she's in really important competitions. I still really enjoyed her SP which is far superior to the LP imho.

JimR

On the Ice
I liked that other skaters got the spotlight after years of one Rus training camp dominating women’s figure skating with cra y jumps but often less artistry. This was fun to watch, fresh interpretations, etc

I actually found the programs a little underwhelming. Nothing particularly fresh and original. Very formulaic.

With the jumping, I thought Luna very lucky to not get a q on a few jumps (these were relatively simple jumps too like doubles), and Kaori got a bunch of 4's for a lutz with a clear wrong edge.

gotoschool

Medalist
To me, Haien Lee won the World Championship based on what was delivered on the ice and it's great that she had a victory in the freeskate though it should have been by more and closer in the SP. Biased judging in the tech calls, GOE and PCS were the main factors. Haein Lee has beautiful grace, smooth fluidity and fast skating and all her jumps and movements are marvelously attuned to the music and even in Japan she brought the crowd to their feet with a standing ovation.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This was unexpectedly unimpressive after the short for me. I did like Gutmann, Pizzarone and C. Kim. Also, glad to see that Schizas had a redemption skate. But, like, so many of the skaters looked like they are too tired and can’t deliver, have their arms down for too long, despite the near-absence of ultra-c. Kudos to Glenn and Watanabe for trying, really. Unless, somehow, 17yos emerge next year stronger… it probably won’t be that interesting to watch. Junior worlds was much better!

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This season overall helped me find my love for the sport I thought I lost after Beijing and I'm just very thankful for that. For me, it feels like we were being collectively gaslit into thinking drama, toxicity and abuse were necessary evils in the name of "progress" but imo, they're not. As a viewer, this is the kind of experience no quad or 3A will ever bring.

:points:

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Great competition. The best two performances for me were the 2 Korean ladies Haein Lee & Chaeyeon. Superb mature performances . But Kaori deserves the gold as she is a great athlete. Her quick reflexes saved her.