2023 GPF Women: Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2023 GPF Women: Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Sakamoto brought it to this event! I LOVE her double Axels.

Hendrickx wasn't thrilled with her FS, but she wasn't as upset as she has been in the past. She plans on doing more run-throughs on her FS before Europeans for stamina and I hope it helps!

I really wish Yoshida would focus more on her 3-3 combinations before incorporating the triple Axel. She is such a lovely skater!

What are your thoughts on the women's event?

triplelutzzzzz

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I thought the women's event was a roller coaster of emotions tbh.

Isabeau didn't have a great short program, but her free program was much better! Even though she didn't podium, it was definitely a good comeback from the short! I hope she's proud of that :)

I wish Rion had done a bit better because she's one of my favorites, but I thought she did pretty well compared to the other women competing!

Super happy for Kaori!! Two time world champion AND Grand Prix champion!! Her short program is my favorite out of both the programs! It's different from some of the other programs she's done (imo), but the it suits her well! I love her focus on technique instead of getting bigger jumps (that's not a bad thing!). I do wish though, she was called for her edges more (although I'm aware on how difficult that is to fix, it should still be called. She would still win even then, lol)

It's too bad Hana didn't land her first 3A, her short program was rough, but her free was amazing! She definitely could've gotten silver if her short had been cleaner, but she really brought it during her free AND landed her 3A!!

All in all a good event! I'll admit, I didn't think Hana would medal but I'm so happy that she did as I love her programs. Can't wait to see what Nationals brings:hap10:

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Hana Yoshida is able to do a 3Lz-3T and a 3S-2A-2T later in her program and she's able to land a 3A. She did all of it in her free and the only mistake was a q on the 3A - and it all brought her to a medal in the GPF. I don't see why she should not do the 3A. The question is whether she should do it in the short. If she's focused on the next Olympics and she wants to make that 3A a stable jump in competitions, where she doesn't feel nerves when she does it, it makes sense. Looking for results now it's not an easy decision.

I'm not a fan of Isabeau mostly because of her jump technique, but I was happy to see her have such a redemption skate, which surely took some weight from her shoulders.

Kaori has obviously become used to the pressure of being the big favourite. You can see she's nervous, but not nearly as nervous as last season. I don't like her programs but I think she does and feels comfortable with them.
The short was overall rather disappointing, but the free was very good and satisfying.

Rion is underrated and underscored like most Japanese women who are not Kaori.

I would still like to see more variety in women's programs, but in that regard it was not as bad as it could have been. Honestly I missed the Koreans for the beauty of their skating, but not for their programs.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched the FS, but not the SP. Kaori remains a cut above everyone else in terms of skating skills and high GOE even with the mistake on the flip. I can't really see anyone challenging her for the 3rd World Title at this stage of the competition. I think Hana can beat her with tech content, but her PCS is not where she can challenge Kaori. I'm glad Hana is making a statement in Seniors because I really enjoyed her as a Junior.

I'm glad Isabeau had a redemptive skate and that she changed her costume, it's much less heavy even if it doesn't scream "White Crow." (At this point I think she can probably win her 2nd US title but she has shown vulnerability this season with some surprising errors, so she will have to bring her A game at Nationals with Lindsay and Ava Marie nipping at her skates. Amber is still a Q mark with her underwhelming performance in Croatia.)

Unlike Ted Barton, I'm not charmed by Loena's FS - is she skating to Beyonce or Madonna? Pick one artist, please. I do like Loena as a skater and but I'm not into this program at all. I get that she's trying to do something differently that's not princess-y skating but this program is not that fun.

Ryon's FS was lovely and she's a good performer, but has to clean up those URs. Same with Nina - who is really impressive. However, I wish she had a different choreographer than Benoit. Who puts a squat at the climax of the Spartacus theme? A nice spiral or split jump would've made more sense.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
I was sad about the pop on the quad toe of Rion Sumiyoshi because it make her shine when she land it !! At grand prix of France the landing of the quad toe make her look shine and so happy toward the performance. I wish that she regain this shine at her next competition and land the quad toe again because I like her FS program so much.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think there were 5 or 6 very happy skaters here. Especially Isabeau after her glorious free skate. Her skating, her beautiful smiles and attitude show how much importance is placed by skaters themselves on the quality of the performance. and on leaving the ice with feelings of happiness. It's those few moments right after a great skate that give meaning to all their training.

I was struck by the free skate programs of Isabeau, Nina, and Hana. None of those three skates, or skaters, were at all "ice princessy." Yet they recalled and updated the flow, the elegance, and the musical intelligence of women skaters of years ago like Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan, Ashley Wagner. Isabeau, Nina and Hana embodied those elegant skating qualities.

Everyone talks about the power, and rightly so, of skaters like Kaori and Loena. I applaud that quality, and yet it makes me so happy to see three of the top competitive skaters in the world right now -- Isabeau, Nina and Hana -- finding their passion by skating in their own fluid styles full of grace. Since I was able to watch all 6 free skates in one session, Loena's skate stood out as too busy, too frenetic, too much. Kaori was able to combine power and lyricism. Yet, I can't go without mentioning this -- I love her short program, first as a lullabye tribute to her niece and nephew, and secondly, what a work of loveliness from choreographer Jeffrey Buttle. And Kaori skated the program beautifully. paying attention to nuances. Yet, I felt that her power as a skater asserted itself. I felt that Kaori was just a micro-second ahead of her music all the way through. What a great effort, though, and acknowledgement of the importance of expressing different musical styles!