2024 Team Japan (WC/4CC/JWC) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2024 Team Japan (WC/4CC/JWC)

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
JFed got it right this time. (Heh, last year’s nasty gram worked.). I have no problems with the selections, but it does sting a little that Tomono ends up empty-handed.
I don't know if you can actually say that "last year's nasty gram" worked, because in fact the argument used back then for Sota's selection over Koshiro is the same as the one used for Kao's selection over Sota's this season - Better international results in the first half of the season.

Seems like JSF is sticking to what they started last season and placing more weight on non-Nationals selection criteria.

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I'm quite optimistic about the fact that the fed is planning to send Sae & Lucas, Kaho & Yuto to an assignment to get minimums for junior worlds! Perhaps they are thinking about the future.
Bavarian Open would be the next event with Jr + Sr pairs, and while the entry deadline has already passed, Sae & Lucas will be there for sure. There are a few other Dance competitions Kaho & Yuto could be sent to as well, but hopefully, they'll be there too (and none of that would be necessary if they had just sent those two to JGPs, but I'll hold my tongue).

if based on the early JGP season then I felt that Ami, who won both her events with good SB scores should have been in the mix for consideration.
Tbh, I don't really get it either. Yes, Ami had a really bad time at Jr Nationals, but at the JGPF she still put up a score of 187.04, which is higher than what any of the other girls apart from Rena, Mao and Yo (her highest JGP score is 188.15) have put up internationally this season.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can I ask an incredibly stupid question, which may be answered in one of these posts, but I did not see it.

How many ID spots does Japan have for Worlds? Could AzuShin or UtaMasa actually have a shot:pray:

So happy they will be at 4CCs:clap:

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I don't know if you can actually say that "last year's nasty gram" worked,
I was half-joking but I wasn’t referring to the men’s selections for Worlds. As far as I am concerned, there was no issue last year. I was talking about last year’s junior men’s selection, which I had a issue with and wrote to the Fed about.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I guess I timed the announcement wrong?
Didn't expect it to come out until way later today~

Anyway, my predictions, given the guidelines, were nearly spot on down to the subs~

I was hoping that Kazuki would make the 4CC team but figured they would send Yuma instead to allow him the chance to increase his WS before WC

For me, Mone and Rinka was a toss up for WC, but I had assumed if Mone was selected she would also be sent to 4CC for the same reason as Yuma

As for the 3rd JWC Women's spot, Ikura was the next "eligible" choice out of all the girls (by far, if Hana was sent to WC) due to her placement at Junior Nationals
However, I wasn't sure if her failing to make the FS at "Senior" Nationals would jeopardize her selection
Since I was almost certain by the end of the Women's FS that Hana would be selected for WC, and given Rino and Yo had unfortunately under performed, I was questioning if the spot would default to Ayumi, who wasn't even listed as a target candidate
Anyway, it all worked out accordingly~

Extremely happy and excited for three Japanese Dance teams at 4CC!:hap10:

Overall, no surprises...just sad for Kazuki 😞

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I was half-joking but I wasn’t referring to the men’s selections for Worlds. As far as I am concerned, there was no issue last year. I was talking about last year’s junior men’s selection, which I had a issue with and wrote to the Fed about.
From the day he was born, the moment he graced our world,
Kao was destined to be Junior World Figure Skating Champion *angels singing*...:biggrin:

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Seems to me it’s very risky to send both Mone and Hana to Worlds when neither have proven consistent. Kaori can’t keep three spots by herself. Especially baffled by the decision not to send Hana to 4CC when she clearly needs a competition with a clean SP… maybe she’ll do a senior B I guess
It’s always risky to have two first-timers at Worlds, but all the Japanese ladies save for Sakamoto have been inconsistent, though. Chiba did find newfound consistency last season, but was hampered by injury earlier this year. If she’s healthy, I expect her to make top 10 at Worlds.

Yoshida can also make top 10, even with mistakes in the SP. Her free skate has been somewhat solid and she’s been scoring pretty consistently in the mid-190s with the occasional 200 score.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
It’s always risky to have two first-timers at Worlds, but all the Japanese ladies save for Sakamoto have been inconsistent, though.
Mihara was just injured ("barely able to walk" just last month) Really don't understand the JSA's bias against her, despite her coming through with solid performances in the post-Nationals competitions year after year after year.

Demandred

On the Ice
Can I ask an incredibly stupid question, which may be answered in one of these posts, but I did not see it.

How many ID spots does Japan have for Worlds? Could AzuShin or UtaMasa actually have a shot:pray:
Japan has only one spot in Ice Dance, their team was just outside of Top 10 in the last championship which would have earned the country 2 spots.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Very sad that Rion Sumiyoshi didn't skate well at nationals. I would have dream to see her FS with quad toe at 2024 world in Montreal. Guess it would not happen :(

rabidline

Final Flight
The full announcement and explanation by JSF is posted here by WFS Magazine along with the follow-up Q&A. Representing JSF is Yosuke Takeuchi, Director of JSF Strengthening Department.

Google Translate works well and it's very thorough.

skatingguy

On the Ice
I hope they will allow Four Continents to be the deciding factor for the ice dance entry at the World Championships. The top 3 teams are very evenly matched, and allowing an international panel to compare them at one competition will be a great deciding factor.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Following the post above by @rabidline

Re. the pair, Nagaoka and Moriguchi will be sent to Bavarian Open to gain the TES minimum (WC)

For Jr. pair team (Sae Shimizu/Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda) and ice dance sub team (Kaho Yamashita/Yuto Nagata) not yet reaching the TES minimum, assuming they'll also be sent to gain the TES minimum.

And, according to the FS event schedules as announced by JSF early at the start of the season, the following B-level events will be the major competitions for the federation to send skaters to:
  • Bavarian Open (Jan 30-Feb 4, in overlap with 4CC)
  • 2024 Tallink Hotels Cup (Feb 15-18)
  • 2024 Challenge Cup (Feb 22-25)
  • 2024 Coupe du Printemps (Mar 15-17)

Weathergal

Medalist
I hope they will allow Four Continents to be the deciding factor for the ice dance entry at the World Championships. The top 3 teams are very evenly matched, and allowing an international panel to compare them at one competition will be a great deciding factor.
I got the impression that's what they're doing since they have all three teams at 4CCs and Worlds is listed as TBD, but does anyone know for sure?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I got the impression that's what they're doing since they have all three teams at 4CCs and Worlds is listed as TBD, but does anyone know for sure?
As @figureskatingandrainbows explains at an earlier post, and also from the explanation posted by @rabidline above:

The main reason to make the ID spot @WC TBD is because, after the Nationals, the RD, FD, and the final results were led by different couples.

It's for sure now that all 3 teams will be sent to 4CC (with no sub-list made). But selection committee will meet again on Jan 24 to propose new selection criteria for ID. So JSF will review the selection criteria one more time to make the decision.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Google Translate works well and it's very thorough.
What's so thorough about "regarding Mai Mihara, she showed her competitiveness here, but unfortunately it didn't result in her selection"?

(my own translation for "三原舞依選手に関しては、今大会で競技力を示しましたが、残念ながら選考には至らず", not Google Translate)

Nationals results meant everything in keeping her off the Olympics two years ago in favor of an untested junior, with disastrous results. Now they mean nothing in preventing them from making the same mistake.

Blue-Kat

Rinkside
So sad for Kazuki missing out on an assignment! He skated absolutely lights out at nationals.

I'm quite optimistic about the fact that the fed is planning to send Sae & Lucas, Kaho & Yuto to an assignment to get minimums for junior worlds! Perhaps they are thinking about the future.

A little disappointed for Ayumi not getting junior worlds....if based on the early JGP season then I felt that Ami, who won both her events with good SB scores should have been in the mix for consideration.
Same thoughts re Kazuki and the junior dance & pairs teams!

Ami was injured during junior nationals and JGPF which affected how she did, so not sending her is likely due to that.