29th Practice incident discussion | Page 6 | Golden Skate

29th Practice incident discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

padme21

On the Ice
If I may I'd like to add to the who has the right away topic. I like to ice skate for fun at public rinks. At one skating session I went to there was a girl who was competive figure skater there with her coach doing runthrus of her program with music. We all gave her her space (she mostly stayed in one section of the rink) and didn't get in her or her coaches way.

yuki

Final Flight
And you too. Don't drive any car.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice :laugh:
Considering Patrick wasn't forced to stop or pause what he was doing (and probably barely noticed what happened), I'd say Yuzuru avoided him quite successfully.
Btw, what Yuzuru does or does not do in practice does not change the fact that he had right of way in this situation. You may be put off by his reaction towards Denis, and that's fair enough, but this does not make Denis less in the wrong here.

unpoko

Rinkside
Thanks for the unsolicited advice :laugh:
Considering Patrick wasn't forced to stop or pause what he was doing (and probably barely noticed what happened), I'd say Yuzuru avoided him quite successfully.
Btw, what Yuzuru does or does not do in practice does not change the fact that he had right of way in this situation. You may be put off by his reaction towards Denis, and that's fair enough, but this does not make Denis less in the wrong here.

It's not for you, it's for people whom you would run over.
By your logic, you can drive into sidewalk to avoid another car....:biggrin:

A latter half is also interesting opinion. You suddenly can judge and yell at others when you feel danger even if you have acted similar way. I learn a lot from you today:agree:

huoyubai

Rinkside
Normally, if you feel entitled to bark at others when your music is playing, you will be out of their way when their music is playing.
But seemingly somebody doesn't think so...

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h...16/12318706_1651894428401939_2025661806_n.mp4

Oops. He changed so radically between 15GPF and 16WC. Soooorry for forgetting about that:agree:

i dont know what's wrong with you, but in this video yuzuru apparently had predicted Patrick's track, that's why he approach to the board. this video only shows, yuzuru did skate cautiously when it is other's music playing, he did keeps a eye on circumstances. that's sheerly different from Denis' "I honestly didn't notice it until someone was screaming at my back every time he was passing by"

Last edited:

skatefan22

Medalist
It's not for you, it's for people whom you would run over.
By your logic, you can drive into sidewalk to avoid another car....:biggrin:

A latter half is also interesting opinion. You suddenly can judge and yell at others when you feel danger even if you have acted similar way. I learn a lot from you today:agree:

Sidewalk? You mean Yuzu skated towards the board nearby Boyang? I think he judged the distance pretty well. He just slid behind Boyang and Boyang was also keeping an eye on his surroundings.

skatefan22

Medalist
GIFs of the Hanyu Ten incidence on March 29: 1st round, 2nd round

Looking at these gifs, I can understand why Hanyu would think Ten was probably intentional... I feel that Ten just directly skated towards Hanyu's path face to face.

Last edited:

melmel

On the Ice
Why everyone is getting so worked up about a skater warning another that he was on his way ? Maybe it's because I come from the horse world where I grew up in jumping competition where we all yelled loudly to warn the others that we were going to jump (and when you have another rider walking sloooooowly right in front the obstacle you're going to jump, you don't bother with flower and polite tone, you just shout "OXEEEER!!!" XD) but everyone is getting way too much emotionnal over this.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
GIFs of the Hanyu Ten incidence on March 29: 1st round, 2nd round

Looking at these gifs, I can understand why Hanyu would think Ten was probably intentional... I feel that Ten just directly skated towards Hanyu's path face to face.

It's odd that Denis sees Yuzuru heading towards that direction and not only does he not yield but he goes in front of him too. Not implying it was indeed intention but it does explain Yuzuru's frustration, and then a 3rd time after that? Really, in this case I think Denis should have just apologize then and there.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
It's odd that Denis sees Yuzuru heading towards that direction and not only does he not yield but he goes in front of him too. Not implying it was indeed intention but it does explain Yuzuru's frustration, and then a 3rd time after that? Really, in this case I think Denis should have just apologize then and there.

I've read several comments by observers in Boston who said that Ten often seems oblivious to other skaters on the ice, not just Hanyu.

This reminded me of that program he skated at Skate America this season, where he not only fell repeatedly but then took what seemed to be a ridiculously long period to get up and get back into his routine. Some, including Phil Hersh, felt this was disrespectful to his audience and that, if he was injured, he just should have stopped skating.

I mention this because it seemed to me at the time that Ten was oblivious to the impression he was creating with his behavior.

Maybe he just is kind of clueless.

If I had to skate with him though, I would certainly be upset if he cut me off repeatedly. And after the third time I probably would have had the same reaction as Hanyu did.

qwertyskates

Medalist
It looks like Yuzuru himself playfully does it as well (that glide and duck right into another skater's camel spin posted by unpoko...:eek:), so is it necessary to blow this up for Denis? It's also not the first time such allegations make the rounds, it's really storms in a teacup.

I thought something was off about Denis in his SP - his fall was totally unnecessary and he looked rattled from the start. He must have been shaken about the conflict with Yuzuru. If it affected his performance, I don't think he would intentionally create the drama in a self-sabotage.

Maybe the ISU should impose fines and punishment for any future transgression by *any* skater during practice, and write up as enforceable rules what would constitute acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

Tbh, I don't think many top skaters are angels off the ice, sigh...but the less of *that* side of them I see, the better.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't want to judge, especially without evidence. However, the utmost question I have is: Why did Hanyu go on to do his 3A after the the encounter? The jump led to the fall and the punch on the board, IOW, the further "outburst", anger and frustration.

Also find this comment from Orser amusing:

"Javi is just less emotional than Yuzu," he said.

Close encounters and real collisions between fast and big jumping skaters on the same ice, under competition stress, are clearly quite common, some played out in public on camera, some with serious consequences. Any intentional interference would have to done with good control, meant only to distract and disturb the mental state of the competitor, but never with real risk because that would surely hurt the interferer himself or herself.

I also understand well that, whether one is right or wrong, one tends to be more defensive and less willing to explain or apologize when being "barked" at or otherwise faced with hostility.

I just hope both parties let this go and settle down mentally for what are important at hand and in life.

eta

Medalist
I've read several comments by observers in Boston who said that Ten often seems oblivious to other skaters on the ice, not just Hanyu.

This reminded me of that program he skated at Skate America this season, where he not only fell repeatedly but then took what seemed to be a ridiculously long period to get up and get back into his routine. Some, including Phil Hersh, felt this was disrespectful to his audience and that, if he was injured, he just should have stopped skating.

I mention this because it seemed to me at the time that Ten was oblivious to the impression he was creating with his behavior.

Maybe he just is kind of clueless.

If I had to skate with him though, I would certainly be upset if he cut me off repeatedly. And after the third time I probably would have had the same reaction as Hanyu did.

After getting in Yuzu's way twice, they talked. And still Ten doesn't pay attention? That, to me, is being intentionally oblivious.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I also understand well that, whether one is right or wrong, one tends to be more defensive and less willing to explain or apologize when being "barked" at or otherwise faced with hostility.

So Hanyu should approach him politely, over and over and over again, ad infinitum, while Ten continues to play oblivious and goes on doing what he likes? Curious take on things.

skatefan22

Medalist
I don't want to judge, especially without evidence. However, the utmost question I have is: Why did Hanyu go on to do his 3A after the the encounter?

It was Hanyu's run-through and that 3A was planned. When Ten was in his way, Hanyu did change his route to 3A and avoided Ten. Then he attempted the 3A, but because of the sudden change of route or whatever, he fell.

Last edited:

eta

Medalist

But they did talk after the previous two incidents, during which Ten did not apologize, and then Ten does it again.

And was Yuzu not supposed to bark? How else was he supposed to let Ten know he's in the way, when Ten wasn't even paying attention?

qwertyskates

Medalist
But they did talk after the previous two incidents, during which Ten did not apologize, and then Ten does it again.

And was Yuzu not supposed to bark? How else was he supposed to let Ten know he's in the way, when Ten wasn't even paying attention?

Why not let the coaches talk? And arrive at an agreement like a restraining order (not to be within 20 meters of each other, etc...) for these two adult children.

eta

Medalist
Why not let the coaches talk? And arrive at an agreement like a restraining order (not to be within 20 meters of each other, etc...) for these two adult children.

One tried to be polite, while the other doesn't care, resulting in a third incident, and then JSF stepped in. Good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.