A look back on (most of) last season: Favorite Moments | Golden Skate

A look back on (most of) last season: Favorite Moments

Layback11

Record Breaker
Now that the 2014-15 season is over (except for WTT), what were your favorite moments/programs/performances of the season? This can be anything from someone finally using a piece of music you love to a funny/touching kiss-and-cry reaction to an impossible element being completed to a performance that brought you to tears-anything goes! (Please try to keep it under ten, though, if you can-15 is the absolute upper limit, for those of you who can't decide :laugh:)

For mine:

7. I remember being super-excited leading into Skate America-it was my second season as a fan, and the first where I would see any GP events-and when I saw that the Shibs, my favorite dance team, were skating to Asturias, which is one of my favorite classical pieces, I was jumping up and down like a rabbit who had just downed a pitcher of espresso. Good times! :laugh2:

6. Another SA moment (it was a really exciting time LOL), except it isn't one decisive moment: the pairs event at SA was really what raised my interest in watching pairs. A/S's awesome SP and D/F's silver medal-not to mention K/S's throw quad sal-made me think, "hey, this is pretty cool stuff-I should really be watching this!" And that was a great decision!

5. Joining Golden Skate, of course! (hey-not all the moments happen on ice!)

4. My personal skating accomplishment of getting four singles (salchow to flip) and most of the major spins (except back sit and back camel) this year.

3. C/B's world silver. It was a bit of a "let-out-a-collective-sigh-of-relief" moment for the American fans who were a bit desperate after last year's near-depressing worlds, and they both beat their main rivals (W/P) and posted the season-record SD score.

2. Gracie Gold's FS at worlds. I stayed up extra-late just to watch it and I was literally shaking from the nerves of hoping she would skate well, and when she skated that program the best she ever had, I went totally berserk. It then took me an extra two hours to fall asleep from the adrenaline. ;)

1. Attending nationals! There were so many moments here that I don't know where to begin-Karen Chen's epic come-from-behind FS, watching S/K make history as the first US pair to execute a quad twist, getting to witness the mindblowing superificness that was the Shibs' SD in person, meeting everyone in the lobby of the hotel (and Gracie signed my phone!)...it was truly one of the greatest weekends, and experiences in general, of my life.

Nocturne

On the Ice
Wow, sounds like an enjoyable and satisfying season for you :)

My picks would be:
7. Tatsuki Machida at SA. I loved his programs and performance! Such a shame he ended his career so abruptly, but I can alway rewatch his SA videos :)

6. Leonova's SP at NHK. I am actually no fan of her, but that program was amazing! So funny and entertaining to watch!

5. Kanako nailing her SP at Worlds! I really love that program and she really sells it! So beautiful! On top of that, I adore POTO as one of my favorite musicals (and Im probably in the minority that dont mind people using it) and I like it that Kanako took one whole song instead of the usual medley with the Phantom theme somewhere in it. It's a musical with so many songs and music for two hours, of course you cant squeeze all that into one SP/ LP. I think that was a nice new way of presenting POTO music.

4. Liza's whole season :D

3. Javier winning Worlds! His programs were so entertaining and his reaction in the kiss and cry was so cute. He deserved it.

2. Satoko actually getting second at Worlds! I could watch her LP over and over (Miss Saigon is also one of my favorite musicals and the addition of Lea Salonga to the music is an extra plus) and I'm so happy for her! I'm also one of the probably very few who dont have a problem with her jumps. They are small, so what? She herself is tiny and slim and for me, it isnt odd or distracting at all during her performance that her jumps are not the biggest. Yes, there were/are others, who are also tiny and could still jump bigger, but Satoko does not and that is totally fine for me.

1. Has to be Sui and Han at Worlds! They are my favorite pairs team since 2012 and I always wanted more success for them! They gave all they had and they were rewarded! :D Now I want them so win it next year!

So, I seem to have a lot of Worlds moments xD Well, to me this was a good worlds overall :)
Good luck with your personel skating career, Layback11

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Liza T's comeback and her triple axel.
2. Satoko Miyahara. She came out of nowhere and won a World silver medal. From the first time I saw her, though, I thought, this girl's natural artistry makes her one to watch.
3. Ashley Wagner at the GPF. From last place to the podium. And surprising everyone with a 3 lutz-3 toe and that second combo, the 3-seq-3.
4. Ashley Wagner at Nationals. Same as the GPF, only better.
5. Gracie and Ashley at Worlds--their comeback long programs. So close, yet so far.
6. Denis Ten at 4CC and Worlds. He has certainly lived up to his potential.
7. Machida at SA. And in a not so good moment, his decision to quit skating.

I'm sure there are more, but these come to mind first.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Being able to attend Nationals (US) was one of my favorite moments. Seeing Ashley and Adam's great skates live was a treat, as was seeing up-and-comers Hawayek/Baker and Farris.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Going to Chicago to watch Skate America and watch Jason skate for the 2nd time (And him getting silver). Plus seeing all the other skaters!
2. Alaine Chartrand winning bronze at the CoR. I'm so proud of her!
3. Ashley KILLING that FP at nationals.
4. Yuzuru getting redemption by winning the GPF.
5. Jason getting 4th at worlds!
6. Liza becoming the first ladies singles skater to land a 4-triple SP at worlds and the 6th woman to land a 3A. And the 3rd highest PB for a ladies singles SP.
7. Polina winning 4CC.
8. Josh Farris getting silver at 4CC.
9. US getting silver in ice dance at Worlds and Jr. Worlds.
10. Yuzuru getting silver at Worlds.
11. Javi making the GPF in his home country and medaling at it.
12. The best announcer ever at the JGPF/GPF.
13. Nam Nguyen and Alaine for saving Canada's two spots for the men's and ladie's singles at worlds.
14. Misha Ge doing well in the GP series and making a huge improvement from not making the FP last year at Worlds to getting 6TH PLACE at Worlds this year.
15. Alexei Bychenko getting 4th at Euros.
16. the top 3 Russian ladies making the podium at Euros.
17. Maia and Alex Shibutani medaling at the 4CC as well as Madison Chock and Evan Bates.
18. The USA keeping their three spots in ice dancing, men's, and ladies and pairs keeping their 2 spots for next year's worlds in Boston.
19. Shoma Uno's amazing FP at the JGPF.
20. Karen Chen winning bronze at US nationals.
21. Adam Rippon's FP from US nationals.
22. The USA managing to get a medal in ice dance for all 6 of the GP events.
23. Seeing Machida's amazing SP and FP at Skate America. Glad I got to see those live.
24. The USA getting 3 spots for pairs for junior worlds.
25. Getting to take a picture of Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski at Skate America before the start of the FD.

Sorry! There were so many awesome moments!

Barb

Record Breaker
Now that the 2014-15 season is over (except for WTT), what were your favorite moments/programs/performances of the season? This can be anything from someone finally using a piece of music you love to a funny/touching kiss-and-cry reaction to an impossible element being completed to a performance that brought you to tears-anything goes! (Please try to keep it under ten, though, if you can-15 is the absolute upper limit, for those of you who can't decide :laugh:)

For mine:

7. I remember being super-excited leading into Skate America-it was my second season as a fan, and the first where I would see any GP events-and when I saw that the Shibs, my favorite dance team, were skating to Asturias, which is one of my favorite classical pieces, I was jumping up and down like a rabbit who had just downed a pitcher of espresso. Good times! :laugh2:

6. Another SA moment (it was a really exciting time LOL), except it isn't one decisive moment: the pairs event at SA was really what raised my interest in watching pairs. A/S's awesome SP and D/F's silver medal-not to mention K/S's throw quad sal-made me think, "hey, this is pretty cool stuff-I should really be watching this!" And that was a great decision!

5. Joining Golden Skate, of course! (hey-not all the moments happen on ice!)

4. My personal skating accomplishment of getting four singles (salchow to flip) and most of the major spins (except back sit and back camel) this year.

3. C/B's world silver. It was a bit of a "let-out-a-collective-sigh-of-relief" moment for the American fans who were a bit desperate after last year's near-depressing worlds, and they both beat their main rivals (W/P) and posted the season-record SD score.

2. Gracie Gold's FS at worlds. I stayed up extra-late just to watch it and I was literally shaking from the nerves of hoping she would skate well, and when she skated that program the best she ever had, I went totally berserk. It then took me an extra two hours to fall asleep from the adrenaline. ;)

1. Attending nationals! There were so many moments here that I don't know where to begin-Karen Chen's epic come-from-behind FS, watching S/K make history as the first US pair to execute a quad twist, getting to witness the mindblowing superificness that was the Shibs' SD in person, meeting everyone in the lobby of the hotel (and Gracie signed my phone!)...it was truly one of the greatest weekends, and experiences in general, of my life.

You are lucky, that was their best performance in my opinion.

My favorite moments this season

1. Shibs SD nationals :bow:
2. Sara and Adria LP european comp. :love:
3. Liza 3a
4. Ashley LP nationals
5. Javi´s reaction at worlds

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
There many great moments this season, for me it would have to be:
-Mura winning SC
-Yuzuru slaying the GPF and Denis doing the same at 4CC
-Murakami winning NHK!
-Liza landing her 3A and her perfect FS at Euros
-Shibsibs EX with Coldplay, so pretty
-Papadakis/Cizeron reaction to winning Worlds, their FS there and their EX (I love that song)
-Duhamel/Radford 4S
-Joshua's beautiful FS at 4CC
-Adam's reaction to his FS score at Nats
-Ashley and Gracie redeeming themselves at Worlds with their FS
-Nam placing top 5 at Worlds and Misha 6th!
-Pang/Tong competing one more time
-GPF crowd supporting everyone
-Javi winning Worlds, his reaction (goat noises!) and his sportmanship when he comforted Yuzuru
-Satoko winning silver against everyone's expectations
-Kanako doing a wonderful SP at Worlds
-Javier, Yuzuru and Nam's quad battle
-Denis' EX at Worlds (I've got the feeling that he's a very good dancer off-ice as well)
-Ashley's EX at Worlds (hate the movie, love the song and the performance)
-Plushenko and Meryl/Charlie being at the opening ceremony.
-Shoma at JGPF
-Bychenko FS at Euros!
-Misha's EX with Elena was incredibly fun

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Attending US Nationals and having a blast!
Terry Gannon came over to me @ one of the Nationals' practice sessions. He recognized me first, and then a friend took a pic of us.
Javi winning Worlds!
Pang & Tong medalling @ Worlds
Watching Brian Orser skate to his students' programs and his interactions with them in the K&C (especially with Yuzuru & Pooh).
Adam's amazing skating @ US Nationals.
Josh Farris @ 4CC
Nam Nguyen @ Worlds -
Misha Ge @ Worlds
Satoko Miyahara @ the Grand Prix Series & @ Worlds
The Shibs, Chock & Bates - Nationals, Worlds
USA ladies' @ Worlds, earning three spots for next season, ditto for US men!

slider11

Medalist
Favorite moments:
1. Adam Rippon's Nationals LP
2. All of Papdakis and Cizeron's FD
3. Katlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker's Nationals FD
4. Gracie Gold's LP at Worlds
5. Shib's overall perseverance all season. Not the greatest with medals but determination with an eye to the future.
6. Potential of Kavaguti and Smirnov's LP in the GPs. If they stick around I hope they do it again next year.
7. Javier's reaction when he won World's. That was a special moment. Not over the top. Just magical.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1. Jason winning US Nationals with 2 great skates! And being there to see it.
2. Kavaguti and Smirnov winning Europeans :love:
3. Getting to go to US Nationals. Seeing Shibs amazing SD.
4. Getting a free Skate Radio at US Nationals.Using Skate Radio for the first time. It really added to the event!
5. Tran and Castelli's SP at US Nationals
6. Maddy & Evan's first world medal!
7. Ashley's fs at Nationals, her best ever.