Advice for first skates for adult beginner? | Golden Skate

Advice for first skates for adult beginner?

jaguw4r

Spectator
Hello! I am planning to start adult learn to skate classes next month, but I have been going to open skate regularly since August and will be pretty solid with the Adult 1 and 2 skills by the time I start. However, the rental skates are killing my feet, so I would like to get my own as soon as possible (although due to time constraints, it will probably be a couple more months). I'm 17, male, ~115 lbs, and would prefer to get a pair of skates that could last me for a while. I am willing to invest in something more expensive, I just don't want to instantly level out of whatever I buy first.

I do have some foot problems, mostly pertaining to overpronation and general ankle stability. I have injured both of my ankles in the past (thank you gymnastics), and my autoimmune disorder ate away at the ligaments for a few years before it was diagnosed, so they are very floppy and my arches collapse as soon as I put weight on them. Two of the small bones in my left foot are fused as well, which makes the pronation in that foot a little harder to correct. I currently wear prescription orthotics in my shoes, and they work very well for me. I've been taping my ankles for skating in an attempt to reinforce them, but I think I will definitely need something stronger if I end up skating for more than an hour or two a week.

I would greatly appreciate any advice as to what brand/style of boot to get, and if anyone has any good over-the-counter orthotic suggestions for fallen arches. I live in NWI and was thinking of going to Geppetto's Skate Shop in Downer's Grove, IL to get fitted, are they any good? If not I would also appreciate suggestions for good places in the area to get fitted!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
@Ic3Rabbit is the person who can probably best advise you on a fitter in your area. Getting fitted properly is the only way to go. Make an appointment and ensure that they know about your foot and ankle issues before you get there. Remember to take your orthotics with you to the fitting.

Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I am planning to start adult learn to skate classes next month, but I have been going to open skate regularly since August and will be pretty solid with the Adult 1 and 2 skills by the time I start. However, the rental skates are killing my feet, so I would like to get my own as soon as possible (although due to time constraints, it will probably be a couple more months). I'm 17, male, ~115 lbs, and would prefer to get a pair of skates that could last me for a while. I am willing to invest in something more expensive, I just don't want to instantly level out of whatever I buy first.

I do have some foot problems, mostly pertaining to overpronation and general ankle stability. I have injured both of my ankles in the past (thank you gymnastics), and my autoimmune disorder ate away at the ligaments for a few years before it was diagnosed, so they are very floppy and my arches collapse as soon as I put weight on them. Two of the small bones in my left foot are fused as well, which makes the pronation in that foot a little harder to correct. I currently wear prescription orthotics in my shoes, and they work very well for me. I've been taping my ankles for skating in an attempt to reinforce them, but I think I will definitely need something stronger if I end up skating for more than an hour or two a week.

I would greatly appreciate any advice as to what brand/style of boot to get, and if anyone has any good over-the-counter orthotic suggestions for fallen arches. I live in NWI and was thinking of going to Geppetto's Skate Shop in Downer's Grove, IL to get fitted, are they any good? If not I would also appreciate suggestions for good places in the area to get fitted!
Hi and welcome! :)
As a former competitive skater with pronation (supination in my case) issues, I definitely know what you are experiencing. You might want to get elastic slip on ankle support braces: Something like this or this. You will also want to check with your physician before proceeding with the sport, just to get their opinion if it is good for you and your feet/ankles. I'd hate for you to buy boots/blades and so on and then have the doctor tell you after that it's not a good idea for health reasons.

Now, if you get the okay from the doctor, it sounds like with having collapsed arches that you might want to look at Graf or Riedell brand skates. Jackson could work as well. The boots I'm suggesting do come in black. :)
With Riedell-The Stride 223 (sr version) is going to be the boot to look at.
Jackson-Debut 2452
Graf-F4000
Now, know that these are boot only, and you will need a intermediate blade to pair with them: My suggestions are either MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace (traditional version, nothing lite or revolution). Also, there is some sourcing/production issues right now with intermediate blades so be aware that whichever traditional version of one of those two blades you can get, take. They're fairly similar.

Geppetto's is a good fitter/shop. Mr. Edge is there. I will tell you that they will have Riedell and Jackson boots, but not Graf.
Another good shop that is a bit north of Chicago is Rainbo Sports and Skating. They are in Northbrook, IL.

I hope this helps you with your new skating journey. If there is anything else you may have questions about or need help with, just ask. You can also DM me. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Seconding @Ic3Rabbit's advice.:clap: I have a nephew in his 20s with ankle problems, he having inherited loose joints from the same Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome I have and then wrecking his feet and ankles in high school track & field as a high jumper. He started skating in university when he started dating an ice dancer, and asked me (and his coach) for advice re boots and blades. He chose the Jackson Debut boots from a Toronto fitter, and, while waiting for his large size to arrive, also bought a barely-used pair of Gams the fitter had in, which were temporarily adequate (I don't remember the particular style). He much preferred his Jacksons, though, and has since replaced them at least once, along with a custom arch and ankle support from his orthopedist. He bought MK Pro blades just because they've been my favourites over a long career on the ice, but Coronation Ace would also work well for you. Welcome to the skating world! :ghug:

jaguw4r

Spectator
Hi and welcome! :)
As a former competitive skater with pronation (supination in my case) issues, I definitely know what you are experiencing. You might want to get elastic slip on ankle support braces: Something like this or this. You will also want to check with your physician before proceeding with the sport, just to get their opinion if it is good for you and your feet/ankles. I'd hate for you to buy boots/blades and so on and then have the doctor tell you after that it's not a good idea for health reasons.

Now, if you get the okay from the doctor, it sounds like with having collapsed arches that you might want to look at Graf or Riedell brand skates. Jackson could work as well. The boots I'm suggesting do come in black. :)
With Riedell-The Stride 223 (sr version) is going to be the boot to look at.
Jackson-Debut 2452
Graf-F4000
Now, know that these are boot only, and you will need a intermediate blade to pair with them: My suggestions are either MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace (traditional version, nothing lite or revolution). Also, there is some sourcing/production issues right now with intermediate blades so be aware that whichever traditional version of one of those two blades you can get, take. They're fairly similar.

Geppetto's is a good fitter/shop. Mr. Edge is there. I will tell you that they will have Riedell and Jackson boots, but not Graf.
Another good shop that is a bit north of Chicago is Rainbo Sports and Skating. They are in Northbrook, IL.

I hope this helps you with your new skating journey. If there is anything else you may have questions about or need help with, just ask. You can also DM me. Good luck! :)
Thank you so much!!