Adult beginner-intermediate boot advice | Golden Skate

Adult beginner-intermediate boot advice

mulchzom

Spectator
Hi! I’d like some advice and fitter recommendations for my first boot purchase. I’m 21, 5’4’’ and 120lb. I started group lessons around 3 months ago and am working on Basic 6 skills. I skate around 2-3 times a week (about 3 hours total). I’m looking to buy my first pair of skates for learning my basic spins and half and single jumps in.

I’ve been skating on a very old pair of hand-me-down skates that I got when I was a kid 💀 I think they’re an old model of Jackson’s Glacier 120(?) For obvious reasons, they’re not working so well. My heel slips and there’s not much ankle support, though I do think they’re also a little too big for me- they’re size 4.

My feet are pretty small and I don’t think I can fit into adult ladies sizes. Are there differences between the adult and jr models of the same boot?

Otherwise, I’m not aware of any specific foot problems I might have that I can reference. I think I have Egyptian feet and normal arches, normal width.

Would you guys recommend a blade and boot combo? Or a separate blade?

I’m planning on getting fitted at a skate shop (I live in Massachusetts)- any recommendations? Thanks so much guys!

Last edited:

lyssx

Rinkside
There are a lot of good fitters in MA. Are you in Eastern MA? Western MA? Central? More towards NH, RI, or CT?

If you go with a boot/blade combo you won't have to worry about "adult" vs "junior" skates really. If you see yourself doing this hobby for a while, you really want to get the boot and blade separately and to make a good first investment. I spent so much money before I settled on the "right" skates. The stiffness rating doesn't change as the size increases, which is often why adults can stand to be "overbooted" (just a bit - I'm not advocating for beginners in Pianos or Ice Flies, so nobody come for me) and why beginner models as an adult won't take you far. Adults are heavier and will put more pressure on the boots than an 80lb beginner child will

Risport & Edea won't even come in traditional shoe sizes as you've come to know them in the US - so don't let it bother you. You'll have no issues being fitted.

mulchzom

Spectator
I'm relieved to hear that haha, thank you for the helpful response! I'm definitely coming around to gritting my teeth and just spending the money on a good investment.
I'm somewhere between central and eastern Mass, but I can travel around a little too!
There are a lot of good fitters in MA. Are you in Eastern MA? Western MA? Central? More towards NH, RI, or CT?

If you go with a boot/blade combo you won't have to worry about "adult" vs "junior" skates really. If you see yourself doing this hobby for a while, you really want to get the boot and blade separately and to make a good first investment. I spent so much money before I settled on the "right" skates. The stiffness rating doesn't change as the size increases, which is often why adults can stand to be "overbooted" (just a bit - I'm not advocating for beginners in Pianos or Ice Flies, so nobody come for me) and why beginner models as an adult won't take you far. Adults are heavier and will put more pressure on the boots than an 80lb beginner child will

Risport & Edea won't even come in traditional shoe sizes as you've come to know them in the US - so don't let it bother you. You'll have no issues being fitted.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I’d like some advice and fitter recommendations for my first boot purchase. I’m 21, 5’4’’ and 120lb. I started group lessons around 3 months ago and am working on Basic 6 skills. I skate around 2-3 times a week (about 3 hours total). I’m looking to buy my first pair of skates for learning my basic spins and half and single jumps in.

I’ve been skating on a very old pair of hand-me-down skates that I got when I was a kid 💀 I think they’re an old model of Jackson’s Glacier 120(?) For obvious reasons, they’re not working so well. My heel slips and there’s not much ankle support, though I do think they’re also a little too big for me- they’re size 4.

My feet are pretty small and I don’t think I can fit into adult ladies sizes. Are there differences between the adult and jr models of the same boot?

Otherwise, I’m not aware of any specific foot problems I might have that I can reference. I think I have Egyptian feet and normal arches, normal width.

Would you guys recommend a blade and boot combo? Or a separate blade?

I’m planning on getting fitted at a skate shop (I live in Massachusetts)- any recommendations? Thanks so much guys!
You could look at Risport, Jackson, Graf and Riedell. I really honestly wouldn't suggest a boot/blade combo for you as an adult with your stats unless it's of higher stiffness rating.

lyssx

Rinkside
I'm just realizing I mistyped earlier - I meant to say if you DON'T go with a boot/blade combo, you won't have to worry about adult vs junior skates as much. I had started typing the sentence differently. My sentence after that was the one I really meant, sorry about that.

I will message you my two favorite skate shops - neither are super close to me but it sounds like we're reasonably in the same area. (would also classify myself as between central and eastern MA.)