Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Status
Not open for further replies.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
EG we'll have to hire a marketing firm or people to help her young stars get endorsements otherwise they will look elsewhere at some point. For the best ladies skater this last season and the most beautiful skater I've seen in years not to have any endorsements is perplexing and I don't want to hear anything about but she wants to be a neurosurgeon someday. If anything bad should just make her more marketable. Aliona is different.
Maybe she misses something singular. Something rare and marketable. Most of those who got many endorsements were the first to do something or the only ones to do it during their eras. Yuna was the first Korean to win anything, Yuzu the 1st Asian man to win olympics, Mao could have been called Mrs triple axel since she was the first to land it in juniors and the only one to land it cleanly during basically 10 years. Now, besides Aliona there are 4 other girls landing 3A.
Medvedeva doesn't have any particular achievement but has an excellent team. Other than she's two-time everything, she's Russia's darling and she started to work on her image to look more mature as soon as she left Eteri. And i think Pantene and Nike are contracts signed before olympics and aren't one-year endorsements.
The other skater who was an excellent candidate without doing something singular (but had a famous sister) was Marin Honda. Brands were litterally chasing her when she was in juniors. She debuted in seniors with Japan airlines as main sponsor. If she had made it to olympics and had a good first senior season, the money she would have made....

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
She will be defending Eteri till the day Alina or Anna leaves (if that ever happens) and Eteri acts crazy as she did to other girls.
After all, to Eteri, girls coached by her are her products (fast moving consumer goods, to be precise), not individuals who have control of their own future.

OMG, You can read Eteri's mind! :eek:
Please, use your powers and tell us the program announcements, since they're not willingly sharing them.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Maybe she misses something singular. Something rare and marketable. Most of those who got many endorsements were the first to do something or the only ones to do it during their eras. Yuna was the first Korean to win anything, Yuzu the 1st Asian man to win olympics, Mao could have been called Mrs triple axel since she was the first to land it in juniors and the only one to land it cleanly during basically 10 years. Now, besides Aliona there are 4 other girls landing 3A.
Medvedeva doesn't have any particular achievement but has an excellent team. Other than she's two-time everything, she's Russia's darling and she started to work on her image to look more mature as soon as she left Eteri. And i think Pantene and Nike are contracts signed before olympics and aren't one-year endorsements.
The other skater who was an excellent candidate without doing something singular (but had a famous sister) was Marin Honda. Brands were litterally chasing her when she was in juniors. She debuted in seniors with Japan airlines as main sponsor. If she had made it to olympics and had a good first senior season, the money she would have made....

I think what happened to Aliona compared to Sasha/Anna is:

Sasha got her Adidas contract before she started to have worse results, after being 2 time junior world champion.

Anna is the best of them on speaking English, she went to Skate America (let’s not forget Nike is from the US) and landed 2 beautiful quad lutzes at skate America. She created a reputation in the US.

Aliona is not the most fluent in English (like Sasha) and she didn’t have records like “first to do something”, although she has records of total scores. It was only a matter of time for her to get endorsements, we had the whole pandemic, which might have postponed possible endorsements for her, but having gone to Pluschenko might have made that process a little faster.

Who? She has a beautiful name.

Krylova and Ovsyannikov. All ice dancers are beautiful. :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...LeQg-VpYttpBfXZnTBO7edLFLDp-RizoGoA6Z_KxSKpiv

OT -- I notice that the photographer is George Rossano. I wonder if he is still involved with figure skating.

Rossano is literally a rocket scientist, an engineer-physicist involved with rocket launches and space exploration. He was also an accomplished figure skating photographer and served at local events as a data operator and statistician and sometimes judge. :clap:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Has Alena explained this move? She has climbed to the top of the sport with Eteri, why would she leave her now?

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I think what happened to Aliona compared to Sasha/Anna is:

Sasha got her Adidas contract before she started to have worse results, after being 2 time junior world champion.

Anna is the best of them on speaking English, she went to Skate America (let’s not forget Nike is from the US) and landed 2 beautiful quad lutzes at skate America. She created a reputation in the US.

Aliona is not the most fluent in English (like Sasha) and she didn’t have records like “first to do something”, although she has records of total scores. It was only a matter of time for her to get endorsements, we had the whole pandemic, which might have postponed possible endorsements for her, but having gone to Pluschenko might have made that process a little faster.

Well even before all of that, Anna was at Dreams on Ice in Japan in 2018. She has both a great team and accolades. Also, Aliona's first big win was at the Junior Grand Prix Final, which cannot compare to the attention of Russian Nationals or Junior Worlds. She still could've tried to win endorsements after JGPF, but her parents just may not have been as organized. And then later on in the season she got injured. This year there was no Worlds. There's a lot of bad timing at fault as well.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Also judging by the millions of views of Shcherbakova's and Trusova's SA and SC free skates ISU videos, people are more wowed by quads than 3As (Kostornaya's free skate in France is far less watched.)

Well even before all of that, Anna was at Dreams on Ice in Japan in 2018.
She was even invited in 2017, still being a novice. But an injury prevented her to go.

elysium

On the Ice
Well look who is joining pkushenkos team as a trainer, mabye she will also do work with our2 ladies? Would be even more of a blast if after her baby is older yulia would also decide to go to plushenko as a trainer

https://twitter.com/FSIgstories/status/1292107141009088512?s=19

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk
This is great news. I always found it to be such a pity that Lena ended her career so abruptly. She can definitely help Sasha improving her skating skills. Lena’s husband is also a valuable asset, even if not directly.

Has Alena explained this move? She has climbed to the top of the sport Eteri, why would she leave her now?

This thread is full of speculation, allegations and guesses. But I belive that Aliona herself has not made any statement about the coaching change.

SkateSkates

Medalist
It’s hard to judge popularity based on views because different videos are blocked in different countries. For example, Sasha’s Skate Canada LP is available on the ISU channel in the US, but none of Aliona’s are. I can see Aliona’s GPF LP from 1tv (Russia) for some reason, but not the ISU. I can see all the videos uploaded from NBC in the US, but it’s usually only a SP for Aliona or a LP from Anna. Never the whole event. So I wouldn’t judge popularity based on view count because certain videos are/are not available depending on where you live and there seems to be no consistency as to why.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
OMG! I adore that novel :love: and I adore the BBC series the most! :luv17:
My favorite novel :luv17:
My favorite is the 2005 adapation with Keira Knightley :luv17:. The actors in the BBC version just looked too old for me, the actress playing Elizabeth looked like she was 35 not 19/20 years old like Elizabeth :laugh: :eeking:. I still hope one of the Russian Ladies will skate the the soundtracks from the 2005 adaption, the music is perfect :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.