Alena Kostornaia | Page 128 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Fluture

Record Breaker
Alena fans out there - I want to know what makes you love Alena’s skating? Or what drew you in to her initially?

For me it’s her combination of powerful jumps, fast spins with good positions, strong skating skills/edge work, and unique performance quality using her whole body in addition to her face and eyes, which are extremely expressive IMO. Basically, she is the full package for me. (Prior to Alena my favorite was Mao, and Sasha Cohen before that for context on what I value in skating)

There is some discussion going on in the Russian ladies thread about her performance/interpretation and I already posted my opinion in there, but it seems like every few months the same criticisms come out about Alena - mechanical, not musical, too perfect/rehearsed. Maybe it’s because I’ve watched all her performances multiple times as a super fan, but I notice slight differences in her delivery and performance at each competition. I’ve even seen some claims on twitter that people only like her skating because of her physical beauty, which I find incredibly insulting to her skills on the ice.

Her skating skills, her incredible musicality, the quality of everything she does on the ice - whether it be jumps, spins, steps or transitions. Nothing is rushed, she lets each moment breathe (well, as best as she possibly can with the programs she's being given) Also, when I saw her live in Linz and she took the warm-up for the first time. She made it look as if everyone else was walking on the ice, while she was the only one skating. Exaggerated, of course but the difference there was so obvious it blew my mind. I like that she's subtle in her interpretation and mostly relies on her body to express the notes of the music. So many skating commentators have talked about her musicality, there must be some truth to that. :)

The thing about Aliona is that, at first glance, there's really nothing you can criticize, she seems like the full package. If I had to find something, it would be that she's not as expressive in her facial expressions like others and sometimes, when she's focused on her technical elements, her face shows it. But the thing is, no matter how concentrated she is on other stuff, her body knows and feels the music almost innately. And this is a great strength and more important than any facial expressions could ever be. I like her style, I love the way she skates. I like that she actually puts importance on finishing every move and listening to the music. I forgot about her eyes but I agree. When she's into a performance, we can immediately see it in her eyes. She did have intensity in her SP 2017-18. She was more intense in the second half of her SP this year. So, I think she can improve some more but she is not even a senior yet and look at the way she skates! When was there a skater who came fresh from juniors with skating as refined as hers? I don't think she is the PERFECT skater yet. She can still improve, imagine how she will skate like in a few years time with a bit more experience and maturity! But she was certainly the most well-rounded skater in juniors and will be one of the best in this aspect when she turns senior as well.

adaj

Spectator
Also, I'd not be so sure about Aliona being held below Zagitova and Medvedeva. They haven't been very consistent last season and RusFed has shown that they care more about current situation than previous achievements.

RusFed? Maybe that's why Medvedeva was sent to the Worlds instead of Tuktamysheva:)

ruga

Final Flight
RusFed? Maybe that's why Medvedeva was sent to the Worlds instead of Tuktamysheva:)
Yep, but they didn't send her to Worlds based on her Nationals result or GP scores. After Konstantinova's failure to deliver at Euros there was a spare spot. It could have been taken by Tuktamysheva, but she didn't show her best performance, so Medvedeva was taken into consideration and had to participate in a domestic competition which she won (at least according to the judges - my opinion was a bit different).

That was a big OT here oof

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Have those kind of fears, about the trend of quads, how her team work and what can drive the RusFed's choices, is clearly understandable.

Still, i hoping to see her PCS and GoEs rise to the top as soon as possible. Let's be positive :thumbsup:

macy

Record Breaker
Alena fans out there - I want to know what makes you love Alena’s skating? Or what drew you in to her initially?

For me it’s her combination of powerful jumps, fast spins with good positions, strong skating skills/edge work, and unique performance quality using her whole body in addition to her face and eyes, which are extremely expressive IMO. Basically, she is the full package for me. (Prior to Alena my favorite was Mao, and Sasha Cohen before that for context on what I value in skating)

There is some discussion going on in the Russian ladies thread about her performance/interpretation and I already posted my opinion in there, but it seems like every few months the same criticisms come out about Alena - mechanical, not musical, too perfect/rehearsed. Maybe it’s because I’ve watched all her performances multiple times as a super fan, but I notice slight differences in her delivery and performance at each competition. I’ve even seen some claims on twitter that people only like her skating because of her physical beauty, which I find incredibly insulting to her skills on the ice.

the lightness and airiness of her skating and how she gains speed with very little effort. her skating skills are ethereal to me and the way she carries herself is the best in the world IMO. she blows everyone out of the water on the second mark. she quite literally skates like an angel.

Batsuchan

Medalist
In case you missed it, the full video of the Japanese variety show can be viewed here:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7enwc5

I totally loved watching this, and I can't wait for the next episode! It was so great to see the 4A's having fun together, and Aliona in particular seemed to be having a blast! :biggrin:

As for Aliona's artistry, let me translate what Junko Yaginuma said about the little routine she choreographed (around 9:55):
"This skater, Kostornaia--I thought this while watching her in competition too, but she is very good at listening to the music and embodying its image. She matches the timbre of the piano, and these small/fine movements that seem like she's carving out the notes--they're wonderful. Using the characteristics of the rhythm, she dances."

Yaginuma-san was probably being a little generous with her commentary because this was a variety show, not a real competition, but she sounded very impressed with Aliona! :agree:

And I agree with this--I can almost feel the music running through Aliona's body when she skates. :yes:

A few other tidbits from the video:
1) Around 6:55 when they're introducing Aliona, they say something like "Her skating, of course, as well as her beauty, have attracted a lot of attention." :laugh: (But very true!)
2) Around 38:30 it says that the skater Aliona looks up to is Shoma Uno, and that whenever they meet, she pesters him for photos together. :luv17: But why did Aliona not post any from when they were at Novogorsk?! :unsure:
3) After the 2x2 race with Anna, Aliona was very upset and wanted a do-over. She wasn't able to handle the curve (turn) well.

If there's anything else you want translated, let me know! ;)

SkateSkates

Medalist
In case you missed it, the full video of the Japanese variety show can be viewed here:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7enwc5

I totally loved watching this, and I can't wait for the next episode! It was so great to see the 4A's having fun together, and Aliona in particular seemed to be having a blast! :biggrin:

As for Aliona's artistry, let me translate what Junko Yaginuma said about the little routine she choreographed (around 9:55):
"This skater, Kostornaia--I thought this while watching her in competition too, but she is very good at listening to the music and embodying its image. She matches the timbre of the piano, and these small/fine movements that seem like she's carving out the notes--they're wonderful. Using the characteristics of the rhythm, she dances."

Yaginuma-san was probably being a little generous with her commentary because this was a variety show, not a real competition, but she sounded very impressed with Aliona! :agree:

And I agree with this--I can almost feel the music running through Aliona's body when she skates. :yes:

A few other tidbits from the video:
1) Around 6:55 when they're introducing Aliona, they say something like "Her skating, of course, as well as her beauty, have attracted a lot of attention." :laugh: (But very true!)
2) Around 38:30 it says that the skater Aliona looks up to is Shoma Uno, and that whenever they meet, she pesters him for photos together. :luv17: But why did Aliona not post any from when they were at Novogorsk?! :unsure:
3) After the 2x2 race with Anna, Aliona was very upset and wanted a do-over. She wasn't able to handle the curve (turn) well.

If there's anything else you want translated, let me know! ;)

Thank you so much for the translation!

I can’t wait for the 2nd part to air next weekend!!

Batsuchan

Medalist
And someone pointed this out on Japanese Twitter. On the ISU Junior Grand Prix channel, there is a listing of the top 10 most popular videos from 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuB703eaMDlLbNMQgpqCAJLZ3W14piFdX

Not only do Aliona's performances occupy the top 3 spots, but SIX of her videos are in the top 10 (i.e., all of her JGP performances)!! :eek: :biggrin:
Yep, our vampire angel is very popular! :love:

So I realize now that this list is a bit skewed because a lot of Sasha's videos got blocked/deleted due to music copyright issues...

BUT, separately I did notice that Aliona's fan fest now has more views than any of the junior or soon-to-be senior ladies!! :eek: For a long time this fan fest has had the most posts, but not the most views (Anna's had more), and now it has flipped!

Channel 1 in Russia aired a short clip of the Team Tutberidze training camp in Novogorsk, and there's a short clip of Aliona practicing her loops (footwork, not the jump), among other clips: :agree:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0tie5eIEaG/

SkateSkates

Medalist
So I realize now that this list is a bit skewed because a lot of Sasha's videos got blocked/deleted due to music copyright issues...

BUT, separately I did notice that Aliona's fan fest now has more views than any of the junior or soon-to-be senior ladies!! :eek: For a long time this fan fest has had the most posts, but not the most views (Anna's had more), and now it has flipped!

Channel 1 in Russia aired a short clip of the Team Tutberidze training camp in Novogorsk, and there's a short clip of Aliona practicing her loops (footwork, not the jump), among other clips: :agree:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0tie5eIEaG/

I’m so glad we are getting all these little snippets from channel 1! I saw they released segments on Alena Kanysheva and Daniil today so I hope we will get Aliona’s soon 😍

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Aliona at the Figurist store! :luv17:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0yG-2dIEFi/

I keep thinking that maybe she'll grow taller one of these days, but no, she looks as tiny as always! :biggrin:

Back to the store already? She's just gotten new boots and blades fitted? But perhaps this photo isn't recent or Kostorka is indeed in need of new boots or blades in time for competition season??

As a shop owner I'd be proud over such clientele too.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Back to the store already? She's just gotten new boots and blades fitted? But perhaps this photo isn't recent or Kostorka is indeed in need of new boots or blades in time for competition season??

As a shop owner I'd be proud over such clientele too.

The last time we saw her getting new boots was 6 months ago in February so it may be time for a new pair! Also she might have been buying something else - new skate guards, gloves, gel pads, etc - we don’t know. Some skaters also will get a back up pair of skates and break them in just in case something happens to their main pair, so it’s possibly that? Either way, glad to see another pic of Aliona and hope her training is going well!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
The last time we saw her getting new boots was 6 months ago in February so it may be time for a new pair! Also she might have been buying something else - new skate guards, gloves, gel pads, etc - we don’t know. Some skaters also will get a back up pair of skates and break them in just in case something happens to their main pair, so it’s possibly that? Either way, glad to see another pic of Aliona and hope her training is going well!

Exactly, and if she now is fully recovered from her injury, new boots might indeed be in order. She is still on Edea, right?

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh our dear Kosotrnaya's fans, I have only 2 words for a now: 3A & pray.

We will get back to this discussion in a month. (Hopefully sooner, but only if Eteri or Danii chose to post it on IG)

SkateSkates

Medalist
Oh our dear Kosotrnaya's fans, I have only 2 words for a now: 3A & pray.

We will get back to this discussion in a month. (Hopefully sooner, but only if Eteri or Danii chose to post it on IG)

Maybe they will post a good news video on her birthday later this month :) that would make my day

Hi all! So a bit of an odd question, what is this beautiful spin called? https://pin.it/dib5wssse44vsq
Are there any other skaters that do this or should we just start calling it the Kostornaia? :laugh:
I assumed it was some kind of upright variation when classifying it but I’m not sure if it has a name.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hi all! So a bit of an odd question, what is this beautiful spin called? https://pin.it/dib5wssse44vsq
Are there any other skaters that do this or should we just start calling it the Kostornaia? :laugh:
I assumed it was some kind of upright variation when classifying it but I’m not sure if it has a name.

Alyona is the only person I've ever seen do this spin variation. I'd say its definitely her signature move. I remember reading somewhere that the spin was her idea, and she's been doing it since before moving to Eteri.

Alyona is the only person I've ever seen do this spin variation. I'd say its definitely her signature move. I remember reading somewhere that the spin was her idea, and she's been doing it since before moving to Eteri.

It’s so unique and beautiful! I hope it catches on and is named after her, almost all the greats have a move named after them and so will she! :biggrin: