Alena Kostornaia | Page 129 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Batsuchan

Medalist
Hi all! So a bit of an odd question, what is this beautiful spin called? https://pin.it/dib5wssse44vsq
Are there any other skaters that do this or should we just start calling it the Kostornaia? :laugh:
I assumed it was some kind of upright variation when classifying it but I’m not sure if it has a name.

It would be really awesome if it were Aliona's original spin, but actually I think it's just called a "pancake spin." Like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3wbeZvgf9w

She does do it beautifully though! :agree:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Back to the store already? She's just gotten new boots and blades fitted? But perhaps this photo isn't recent or Kostorka is indeed in need of new boots or blades in time for competition season??

As a shop owner I'd be proud over such clientele too.

Actually, back in February she was at the Twizzle store, not the Figurist store:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtrBJ5gn0rn/

But I guess it's quite possible that she's getting new boots or blades at the Figurist store...? :confused:

Oh our dear Kosotrnaya's fans, I have only 2 words for a now: 3A & pray.

We will get back to this discussion in a month. (Hopefully sooner, but only if Eteri or Danii chose to post it on IG)

What does this mean?? :eek: Have you seen rumors that Aliona got her triple axel back??
If so, where did you see them? :confused:

That would be super awesome if true! :yes:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
What does this mean?? :eek: Have you seen rumors that Aliona got her triple axel back??
If so, where did you see them? :confused:

That would be super awesome if true! :yes:

There are solid indicators and credible reports from Russain fs community on discord. Alyona apparently working on her 3A. And very recently without a harness. The same source reported as well about Kamila's quad for test skates way before the event. So we wait and see.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think the spin she made up was the catch camel layover position she was doing last season? And the pancake position is slightly modified from the traditional sit position so it could technically be hers since it counts as an “intermediate” position (in between sit and upright)

Maybe her signature move can be layback Ina Bauer 3A falling leaf 😍😍 +5 GOE for sure.

I really hope she can get the 3A back, but without injury.

Batsuchan

Medalist
There are solid indicators and credible reports from Russain fs community on discord. Alyona apparently working on her 3A. And very recently without the harness. The same source reported as well about Kamika quad for test skates way before the event. So we wait and see.

Very interesting! Thanks! I guess we will just have to wait and see... :popcorn:

Maybe her signature move can be layback Ina Bauer 3A falling leaf 😍😍 +5 GOE for sure.

I really hope she can get the 3A back, but without injury.

I also hope she can get the 3A back without injury! :bow:

It might be too hard to do the Ina Bauer into the 3A...I feel like it might be easier to do it from steps to give her a little extra momentum, like in the original video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0xqaTKoXnG/

But definitely a falling leaf afterwards! :yes:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Very interesting! Thanks! I guess we will just have to wait and see... :popcorn:

I also hope she can get the 3A back without injury! :bow:

It might be too hard to do the Ina Bauer into the 3A...I feel like it might be easier to do it from steps to give her a little extra momentum, like in the original video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0xqaTKoXnG/

But definitely a falling leaf afterwards! :yes:

Oh yes this would be insanely difficult if not impossible, but. I can dream can’t I?

Happy Skates

Final Flight
There are solid indicators and credible reports from Russain fs community on discord. Alyona apparently working on her 3A. And very recently without a harness. The same source reported as well about Kamika quad for test skates way before the event. So we wait and see.

Oh my, I can't even keep myself from getting my hopes up! Eep! That would be beyond exciting! Any other rumors you've heard of?

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
There are solid indicators and credible reports from Russain fs community on discord. Alyona apparently working on her 3A. And very recently without a harness. The same source reported as well about Kamila's quad for test skates way before the event. So we wait and see.
I dream of seeing her 3A [emoji7]

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ugh, that 3A is still one of the best ones I think I've ever seen. I hope she's able to get it back and maybe show it at test skates :dance3:

Vandevska

Medalist
Ugh, that 3A is still one of the best ones I think I've ever seen. I hope she's able to get it back and maybe show it at test skates :dance3:
Yes, when i was originally watching it, i had to do it multiple times to make sure it wasn't a double, it's that effortless :3

SkateSkates

Medalist
Yes, when i was originally watching it, i had to do it multiple times to make sure it wasn't a double, it's that effortless :3

I always believe she could get it back once she stopped growing taller, because her growth last summer clearly affected her jumps at the beginning of last season. It seems like she has stabilized in her height based on pictures next to Anna and Sasha who continue to grow taller, so I have hope she can regain it. Just like Liza.

Vandevska

Medalist
I always believe she could get it back once she stopped growing taller, because her growth last summer clearly affected her jumps at the beginning of last season. It seems like she has stabilized in her height based on pictures next to Anna and Sasha who continue to grow taller, so I have hope she can regain it. Just like Liza.
I hope so too. The jumps at junior nationals were massive.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I hope so too. The jumps at junior nationals were massive.

It’s insane how much bigger/easier her jumps looked at Jr Nationals compared to JGP Linz last season. And then to find out she was skating injured 🤕 😭

Her jumps looked big and easy again in the video from DOI, so I hope she is back up to her Jr Nationals level. Almost all of her jumps were +4/5 quality, with the occasional +3 (Loop and Lutz) which impacts not only the tech score but the overall impression of the program and certain PCS categories (Performance/Execution).

I am getting anxious to see her new long program, and whatever small changes were made to the Angel program. Hopefully with a 3A. I assume she will do the combo on the flip, in case she misses it she can add it to the lutz later.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

It's my favorite too, even beating Rika, Liza and Midori!
A very difficult entry and so effortless, as if she did a single axel!

ruga

Final Flight
I hope the rumours of 3A are true. I wish she could show it at GP series, as long as her health is good enough for that of course. All of her elements (and even lutz edge) seemed to have improved from beginning of last season to Russian Junior Nats. Hope that her axel follows this upward path.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I‘m trying so hard right now to pretend never having heard anything about this rumour because I know I‘ll just get my hopes up. :laugh:

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
If she's training the 3A, that may partially explain the decision to keep the old SP, just to give her a sense of comfort and confidence 🤷🏻*♀️