Alena Kostornaia | Page 184 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Vemvane

On the Ice
The accolades keep coming! :cheer2:

How cool of Aliona to win a silver doe award already! :hap57: Will there be an actual award ceremony that Aliona will attend?

What's a silver doe award, beyond something noteworthy? And congratulations to Aliona on such a splendid first half of her debut senior season!

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
They probably mean her 3A. Alena said during the GP season that she is currently not learning Quads. (Could have changed by now)

See that’s what I thought. But then there was this interview with Trusova where she said “4 girls jump quads” and then paused and said “no wait, 5 girls in the group jump quads.” I thought she was referring to Maia Khromykh , because there had been a video of her landing one, but since they split up training groups, and I don’t think Maia is in the same one as the 3A, it would make sense if the 5 were the 5 listed in the Instagram post... idk. Just conjecture.

https://youtu.be/cEvAGL8bYHM

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
See that’s what I thought. But then there was this interview with Trusova where she said “4 girls jump quads” and then paused and said “no wait, 5 girls in the group jump quads.” I thought she was referring to Maia Khromykh , because there had been a video of her landing one, but since they split up training groups, and I don’t think Maia is in the same one as the 3A, it would make sense if the 5 were the 5 listed in the Instagram post... idk. Just conjecture.

https://youtu.be/cEvAGL8bYHM

Well, Sofia Akatieva also has a quad, and Veronika Zhilina just did one in a competition, so it would make sense if she meant just the older group she trains with. But wouldn't Kamila and Maya likely be in the same group?

SkateSkates

Medalist
Well, Sofia Akatieva also has a quad, and Veronika Zhilina just did one in a competition, so it would make sense if she meant just the older group she trains with. But wouldn't Kamila and Maya likely be in the same group?

6 jump quads for sure - Sasha, Anna, Kamila, Maya, Sofia, Veronika

We don’t know about Aliona, but even if she does I don’t think Sasha would include her in the list until Aliona or one of the coaches revealed it first. All 3A are media trained and know when to reveal and when to keep something close to their chest.

littlesheep

Rinkside
I read somewhere that in alina's latest Instagram story, Anna and sasha were spotted in the training video but not Aliona. I am really nervous about Aliona's injury and if its affecting her training.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I read somewhere that in alina's latest Instagram story, Anna and sasha were spotted in the training video but not Aliona. I am really nervous about Aliona's injury and if its affecting her training.

I also tried to look for Aliona in the video but I couldn’t find her. I am hoping that either I saw her but didn’t know it was her or that she was talking to Daniil, Eteri, or one of the Sergeis when the video was filmed.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I also tried to look for Aliona in the video but I couldn’t find her. I am hoping that either I saw her but didn’t know it was her or that she was talking to Daniil, Eteri, or one of the Sergeis when the video was filmed.

I couldn’t find her either. Of the girls I saw Sasha, Daria and Kamila for sure, and I think Maya. I didn’t see Aliona or Anna.

I am starting to get worried about this potential injury - I really hope she will be ok for Nationals and the rest of the season!

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I couldn’t find her either. Of the girls I saw Sasha, Daria and Kamila for sure, and I think Maya. I didn’t see Aliona or Anna.

I am starting to get worried about this potential injury - I really hope she will be ok for Nationals and the rest of the season!

It was hard to see in the video because all the girls skate so fast. I know I saw Alexandra and I thought that I saw Anna going into her lutz. I saw one girl doing a sequence of turns but I couldn’t tell if it was Alena or if it was Daria.

Macassar88

Medalist
What is the issue with her tibia? Hopefully it gets better and she can be healthy for at least the quad and beyond!

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Like how Aliona was put in the lower group over the summer, I don’t think age is the only thing that determines groupings. It was my understanding that Kamila was with the older group and Maia was in the group just under. I don’t know for sure. Still intriguing to think about, that on the same day we get this baby interview the team Tutberidze account, which is basically official from Sambo 70 after the Alina drama, also says she has a quad. Maybe there’s a mistranslation there, but I doubt they’d group her 3A in with the quads.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Still intriguing to think about, that on the same day we get this baby interview the team Tutberidze account, which is basically official from Sambo 70 after the Alina drama, also says she has a quad. Maybe there’s a mistranslation there, but I doubt they’d group her 3A in with the quads.

The Russian text on that post reads Феноменальные фигуристки, прыгающие четвертные прыжки. If anybody here can read Russian, and would be willing to provide a more idiomatic translation than Google's 'quarter jumps', it might be handy! Aliona is grouped with four skaters known to have quads, so ... :scratch3:

I'm telling myself it's the 3A, to avoid having too many expectations. At this point, though, goodness knows.

SkateSkates

Medalist
We can see a little clip of Aliona in a Japanese TV feature about Alina that just came out, posted on Instagram by Team Zagitova. I assume it was filmed after her announcement so it would have to be from this week? They’re just talking/Aliona is doing a little spiral so it’s not much to go off, but it seems like she’s on the ice?

Regarding who trains in what group, we don’t really know, and can’t know based off TSL or other rumors. We also don’t know how often people move around between groups or if someone switches for some days due to scheduling, etc. best not to speculate. I think we will see a quad from Aliona as soon as she is ready to show it to us and not before.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The Russian text on that post reads Феноменальные фигуристки, прыгающие четвертные прыжки. If anybody here can read Russian, and would be willing to provide a more idiomatic translation than Google's 'quarter jumps', it might be handy! Aliona is grouped with four skaters known to have quads, so ... :scratch3:

I'm telling myself it's the 3A, to avoid having too many expectations. At this point, though, goodness knows.

I only read the initial English caption, I didn’t give much thought to the Russian. The word четвертные means, explicitly, “quaternary” as far as I’m aware.

Here’s a headline in Russian that means roughly “Kostornaia comments on the quad jump ban”. Here we have context because we know she was referring to the possibility of including quads in the short program, where triple axels are already allowed. They use the same word. So my assumption is that quarter is a bad translation Team Tutberidze got from google. It should read “quaternary jumps” or “quadruple jumps” as in media these two are used interchangeably.

https://regnum.ru/news/sport/2787527.html

Vemvane

On the Ice
Thank you for the feedback on the meaning of четвертные! It certainly makes that post more intriguing.

Cutie Pie

Spectator
As a native Russian speaker I can say that this post was written a little be incorrectly. In the original post there is this quote about amazing skaters doing quads and there are the athletes listed including Morisi, Daniil and Diana&Gleb.
The last ones are an ice dance couple and they surely don’t have quads.
Also, there are different words in Russian for male and female skaters and in this post there was used a word for females but Daniil, Morisi and Gleb are male. So, the first words can’t refer to all of the listed skaters. I think the author of the post just doesn’t know grammar very well.

Cutie Pie

Spectator
Anyway, I don’t think it’s a bad thing if Alena doesn’t have a quad now. On the contrary, she has lesser chances of her trauma progressing

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
As a native Russian speaker I can say that this post was written a little be incorrectly. In the original post there is this quote about amazing skaters doing quads and there are the athletes listed including Morisi, Daniil and Diana&Gleb.
The last ones are an ice dance couple and they surely don’t have quads.
Also, there are different words in Russian for male and female skaters and in this post there was used a word for females but Daniil, Morisi and Gleb are male. So, the first words can’t refer to all of the listed skaters. I think the author of the post just doesn’t know grammar very well.

Sorry, I must have missed the part you’re referring to? In the post it says phenomenal skaters, and then lists five ladies... the 3A, Liza, and Kamila.

The next sentence says “other invited athletes”.

I mean, regardless, I think Aliona will be fine either way, but to me the wording seems to intentionally say she has a quad. Though with Tuktamysheva jumping a quad, she might be going all in to make sure she doesn’t get excluded from the Euros/Worlds team. Idk. We’ll find out soon enough.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

I wouldn't take anything from a 30 second instagram clip. They all have different days off and even if Alyona was there she could've been getting water, going to the bathroom, etc. Is this the only source of the rumor that she's injured? Or is it coming from somewhere else? I really hope thats not the case...