Alena Kostornaia | Page 206 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

McBibus

On the Ice
Really lovely fan art of Aliona! :love:
https://twitter.com/frogflag1115/status/1224541057628745728

Also, I posted this in the Russian ladies thread, but they're just so cute so I'm posting it here too:
https://twitter.com/TarorezYo/status/1224329346065694720 :luv17:

In the photo where Aliona and Deniss are shaking hands, there is some serious eye contact. :laugh: She looks kinda skeptical? intrigued? Maybe a little shy?
(No, I'm not shipping them, I swear!! :biggrin: ;) )

I suppose Aliona is wondering why he's not kneeling before the mighty 3A :devil::biggrin:
Sasha seem to know him already well... and once again I love her sweet and warm side.
Anna... look at her smile! Could she have a crush for him?

Fluture

Record Breaker
Aliona on the cover of a German skating magazine! :agree: :love:
http://pirouette-online.de/nr-2-februar-2020.html

She‘s looking great! European and GPF Champ! :luv17: :clap:

I remember someone in here asking why I‘d said Aliona was a real star and I think I haven‘t answered yet. It‘s pretty easy to say, though, and it‘s the fact that there‘s just the sort of “it“ factor about her. She‘s not just one of the 3A, she is Aliona Kostornaya, and I think she wants that too. Also, when she takes the warm-up, your eyes are immediately drawn to her. She skates differently than all the other skaters I saw live. Also, she‘s tiny but on the ice she has a real presence. At Euros she wasn‘t at her best, I‘ve seen her programs better than she‘d skated them. But despite that lack of total enthusiasm, people were still amazed by her.

Also, the article in the magazine is pretty interesting, it‘s about the conditions of the arena and the ice in Graz. Looks like some of the accusations weren‘t only unfounded but inaccurate. I think I might translate it and post it in the Russian Ladies Thread. :devil: :laugh:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Also, the article in the magazine is pretty interesting, it‘s about the conditions of the arena and the ice in Graz. Looks like some of the accusations weren‘t only unfounded but inaccurate. I think I might translate it and post it in the Russian Ladies Thread. :devil: :laugh:

Yes, please :)

Interesting to hear about figure skating from this publication. They perhaps had their own reporter present and are therefor more independent than the usual sources that supply articles.

McBibus

On the Ice
She‘s looking great! European and GPF Champ! :luv17: :clap:

I donìt think is possible for Her to look something less than great ;):agree:

I remember someone in here asking why I‘d said Aliona was a real star

Guilty :agree2:

there‘s just the sort of “it“ factor about her. She‘s not just one of the 3A, she is Aliona Kostornaya, and I think she wants that too. Also, when she takes the warm-up, your eyes are immediately drawn to her. She skates differently than all the other skaters I saw live. Also, she‘s tiny but on the ice she has a real presence. At Euros she wasn‘t at her best, I‘ve seen her programs better than she‘d skated them. But despite that lack of total enthusiasm, people were still amazed by her.

I dont' follow the junior Circuit, so Aliona this year was new to me.
I didn't even saw the warmup for that group.
She entered the ice and she started her circling to take position.
Every movement perfectly measured, like she was testing the blades and the ice, like she has a special connection with both of them.
No apparent effort to push forward, moving without apparent friction.
I was already captured, and she still had to start her program

McBibus

On the Ice
I think we should invite Ahsley Wagner here to sing with us about Aliona.
This is a transcript of her comment during the reply of her EC SP.

She is such an easy skater to watch!
That was fantastic!
She had the speed, she had the flow, her jumps are huge.
I adore everything about her skating
[…]

This skating world is so blessed to have these 3 athletes.
I appreciate everything that they’re doing for skating.

Aliona in particular to me is just the total package of this 3.
She does not compete the quads, but this triple axel here, this is what makes her special.
That entry is so incredibly difficult, and the amount of force she sends up into the air with that jump is huuuge: the eight and the speed that she maintains on the way out; no one does a triple axel like her.

On top of that hers spins: the positions they’re interesting, they’re not jarring.
Sometimes I feel, in ladies skating, to get that extra level that you’re looking for you end up getting into this positions that are just awkward and everything that she does is just so seamless and smooth and I’m fangirling a lot, because I love what she does!

I like her short program a little bit more that her free skate.
I think it fits her better and she is very present on the ice so I can’t help but just sing praises for this particular program of hers.

I agree with her 200%, but hearing that from a WC and GPF medalist is beautiful.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Anna... look at her smile! Could she have a crush for him?

I have no idea what Anna is thinking...
But I *am* sure that IF Anna had a crush on someone, Aliona would 1) figure it out immediately, 2) tease Anna mercilessly, and 3) try to set them up. Like, invite them both to see a movie and conveniently fail to show up! :yes:

Yes, I have no doubt that this is how our little devil would react. :yes: :biggrin: :laugh:

I remember someone in here asking why I‘d said Aliona was a real star and I think I haven‘t answered yet. It‘s pretty easy to say, though, and it‘s the fact that there‘s just the sort of “it“ factor about her. She‘s not just one of the 3A, she is Aliona Kostornaya, and I think she wants that too. Also, when she takes the warm-up, your eyes are immediately drawn to her. She skates differently than all the other skaters I saw live. Also, she‘s tiny but on the ice she has a real presence. At Euros she wasn‘t at her best, I‘ve seen her programs better than she‘d skated them. But despite that lack of total enthusiasm, people were still amazed by her.

Thanks for sharing, Fluture! :agree:
I hope to see Aliona live soon! :pray:

And it would be great if you translate the article! :thank:

McBibus

On the Ice
I have no idea what Anna is thinking...
But I *am* sure that IF Anna had a crush on someone, Aliona would 1) figure it out immediately, 2) tease Anna mercilessly, and 3) try to set them up. Like, invite them both to see a movie and conveniently fail to show up! :yes:

I can see Anna compusilvely denying any interest in phase 2), considering admitting the crush only in presence of photographyc evidence of a kiss.
While if it was sweet Sasha I can see her face becoming totally red.
I can be wrong of course but i have the impression that Aliona is a little protective to Sasha, so I imagine phase 4) with our Vampire overwatching the crush behaviour. :cool14:

McBibus

On the Ice
She‘s not just one of the 3A, she is Aliona Kostornaya

I think nobody of the 3A is just one of the 3.
We are talking of absolute excellence here.
But being one of the 3A and fighting that inside war is what makes them even more unique.

If Aliona (or Anna/Sasha) wuold enter senior alone we would have seen total dominance with terrific scores, raising the bar for everyone else by a step (a big one but just a step)
Alina did it before the 3A, Zenya did it before Alina.

With the 3A, the bar is raised by a group of skaters so high that until now the only girl to beat a 3A is another 3A.
To win against the other 3A you need to mount another step!
That why Aliona's and Anna's titles are above outstanding.
Now it's Sasha who needs to mount that second step: she has it in her, she just have to find it.

With so mighty opposition they will win less and with much more effort, but those medals are platinum non just gold.

At the start of the season we were talking about 4A, but Alina could not keep up to the task because of a difficult season.
Could she overcome her problems, raise her level and become the 4th Ace once againg?
I don't know, but if she could it would be an achievement greater than her Olympic title.
Much less popular and recognized of course, but that would prove so much more (to me at least).
Keeping up with the new generation (a revolutionary generation in this case) after dominating your peak time is mark of true greatness.

(just please don't read this as "she won olympic because of lesser opposition" because she had to fight it till the last spin whit Zenya and that was great opposition both technically and mentally)

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think nobody of the 3A is just one of the 3

Oh, I absolutely agree on that! I‘ve probably mentioned it so often you‘re all already sick of it but I saw those three live and they are totally different and unique. And while Aliona is my favorite, I love all three of them for different reasons. That‘s why I‘m constantly worried about them and sometimes curse myself for letting this happen because they’re so young still and who knows whether they‘ll have long careers (tbh with all the patterns in recent years it’s more likely that they don’t) and if they don‘t, I‘ll probably end up heartbroken....

In my comment I just meant that people tend to lump them together as the “3A“, as if they were one single entity, even though they clearly aren‘t. And with Aliona especially I have the feeling that she doesn‘t want this - e.g from hearing her sarcastic reaction at that press member’s 3A comment. She’s also a bit older than the other two and at the age where you‘re figuring out who you are as a person, so constantly being mentioned only in relation to her teammates must sting a bit.

As for Worlds - well, I will be rooting for Aliona because I‘m biased and love her the most. But I also wouldn‘t be disappointed if one of the other two won, especially Sasha would deserve it. Besides, I have to be realistic too. As wonderful as Aliona is, Sasha and Anna will not always make mistakes, one day they‘re bound to be clean. And if they are, it will probably be close to impossible for Aliona to win (at the moment at least). And if that day will be Worlds (which I‘m sure Eteri wants), then she‘ll have to settle for the Bronze. Which is a nice medal too and she already has two Golds anyway. So, yeah, I‘m just hoping for clean skates! :)

Batsuchan

Medalist
I think we should invite Ahsley Wagner here to sing with us about Aliona.
This is a transcript of her comment during the reply of her EC SP.

I agree with her 200%, but hearing that from a WC and GPF medalist is beautiful.

Well, Johnny Weir had really nice things to say about Aliona on the 4CC Ladies SP! Yep, she wasn't even there, but they were talking about her! :agree:

During the Ladies SP at 4CC, Tanith White asked Johnny if Rika Kihira can compete for gold [at Worlds] without a quad, and Johnny said this:

"In my opinion, we've seen Aliona Kostornaia win the European Championships and the Grand Prix Final this year without a quad, so it is possible. However, her skating skills and her level of artistry is on another planet compared to the rest of the ladies. So you've gotta have that somethin' special. As Rika saw last season and as she'll see from the results of this short program, she'll move into first place. The triple axel helped her, that's her claim to fame, that's her moment, but what do you back that up with? So in my opinion, she will need a quad to challenge for podiums."

More people saying nice things about Aliona:

1) The organizer of Art on Ice, Oliver Hoener, was asked which of the 3A girls he would invite to participate in a show.
https://russian.rt.com/sport/article/716139-zagitova-art-on-ice-shou
GoogleTranslate:
Which of the Russian singles stars after Zagitova and Medvedeva would the producer like to see in his show, and who, for example, would he choose from the brilliant Russian trio - Alexander Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova or Alena Kostornaya?

Hoener answered this question without hesitation: “Of course, I would choose Kostornaya. She shows adult and very mature skating."

2) Similar comments from Maria Sotskova in her recent interview:
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...i-slozhnostyah-rossiyskih-figuristok-1636826/
GoogleTranslate:
- Have you watched the European Championship?

- Mostly guys. I am very happy for all of ours, for Maurice (Kvitelashvili). Dima Aliyev, probably, has never ridden like that. Unless at the pre-Olympic European Championship. Arthur (Danielyan) debuted and immediately showed adult skating. I remember him still quite a junior, and now he is so progressed! Girls? Well, it's hard not to admire Kostornaya’s skating. She's really feminine.

So nice to see all the praise for Aliona's skating! :yes2: :love:

I would love for Aliona to be invited to participate in more shows! :yes: :pray:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Well, well, well!

Artur Danielian did a TV interview, and he named Aliona as one of his favorite singles skaters!
https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...ropy_Artur_Danijelan_otvetil_na_vashi_voprosy

GoogleTranslate:
- Who likes the most from the single skaters?

- All our singles who have been performing now and will perform are very cool. But I will give my preference to Adelina Sotnikova, Masha Sotskova and Alena Kostornaya.

He also mentioned that he's watching 'Vampire Diaries' now. :laugh: I think we all know who introduced him to that show! :yes: :rofl:

I think someone might have a crush on our vampire angel! ;) :yes: :biggrin:

Cutie Pie

Spectator
Dream programs for Alyona

By the way, there is a contest by sport express where you can get Alyona’s autograph.

You should dm them a piece of music you want Alyona to skate to next season with a drawing of a dress for this and leave any comment below the post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8WIYXmJ8XR/?igshid=1jfpqbw6c0qv0

I think the most interesting thing about this is not even the prizes but the possibility of Alyona actually choosing music from this contest because as I understood she would be picking winners herself. So, if you have a dream program (and dress) for our girl you can participate and hopefully she will find out something very beautiful to skate to in the future☺️

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
By the way, there is a contest by sport express where you can get Alyona’s autograph.

You should dm them a piece of music you want Alyona to skate to next season with a drawing of a dress for this and leave any comment below the post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8WIYXmJ8XR/?igshid=1jfpqbw6c0qv0

I think the most interesting thing about this is not even the prizes but the possibility of Alyona actually choosing music from this contest because as I understood she would be picking winners herself. So, if you have a dream program (and dress) for our girl you can participate and hopefully she will find out something very beautiful to skate to in the future☺️

holy cr*p. as a designer, this is my time to shine hahahaha *brb sketching

McBibus

On the Ice
In my comment I just meant that people tend to lump them together as the “3A“, as if they were one single entity, even though they clearly aren‘t. And with Aliona especially I have the feeling that she doesn‘t want this - e.g from hearing her sarcastic reaction at that press member’s 3A comment.

I soooooo adored that reaction and the quick thinking behind it.
I read it more as intolerance to the host explaining to the 3A why they are called the 3A.
It's not just boring is considering them stupid and being condescending (patronizing), and I think this is one of the worst way to approach Aliona.
She acted like the classical dumb posing damsel hanging from the lips of a man, but in such a teasing way!
She was beautiful and funny to see, the sound was bright but the message flowing under it was freezing.
This girls has personality.

She’s also a bit older than the other two and at the age where you‘re figuring out who you are as a person, so constantly being mentioned only in relation to her teammates must sting a bit.

It's a age of great evolution.
Actually they always talk about pleasing the coaches and their parents, but thei're moving into a situation in which they will start to skate for themself and consider the coaches not just as guides but equal partners.
I'm thinking of Zenya here: the moment she dealt with her past and found here way she really became a woman taking her life into her own hands.
I don't know if she took the best decision, but it was defintely hers with courage enough to totally change life.

Orlov

Medalist
Here is a link to the video of the russian TV evening show (with eng sub), to which Alyona was invited as part of the team of European gold Champions.